mtbr member
    Oct 2005

looking to build a bike....?

I'm new to the MTBR site and from reading many posts it seems like many of you build your own bikes. I'd like to buld a Turner Flux bike for my lovely wife (i own a Spot.) How hard is it to build up a bike..??...........What is the hardest part....??....Any suggestions are appreciated....looks like a fun project.

PS:....are many specialized tools required...??

Thanks..........Krems

No, that's not phonetic
    Do you have any buds who are somewhat experienced with bike wrenching? It's not terribly hard, but experience helps and there are a few tools that are necessary for bottom brackets and headsets that many folks don't have. Are you a total newby?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The hardest, most time consuming is building wheels. Not everyone does this though. You can press in a headset with a home made press, a couple of blocks of wood and a hammer, or take it to a shop. Everything else is just bolting on parts. A special tool is needed to install a bottom bracket but other than that a cable cutter, chain tool, allen wrench set and a torx wrench (rotor bolts) wrenches will do it.

If you like your Spot why not build her up a nice light Spot as well.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    You can press in a headset with a home made press, a couple of blocks of wood and a hammer, or take it to a shop.
    No need for a hammer. I have been using a couple pieces of 1" x 4", a threaded rod, nuts & washers for years with no issues. I just press one cup at a time & it's eezy peezy

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    No need for a hammer. I have been using a couple pieces of 1" x 4", a threaded rod, nuts & washers for years with no issues. I just press one cup at a time & it's eezy peezy
    What if you're to lazy to make home made threaded rod press?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not a total newbie w/ bikes....pretty close though.. I've adjusted my bike and done all the basic tune up stuff myself. I've never assembled a bike however. When pressing in the headset could you use an arbor press. I have a fairly good sized one at the house. Are there any good manuals or guide books to help me with the build. I suppose I could have the local bike shop help true up the wheels if needed. .... I think I could handle the project and maybe learn a little bit about the bike in the process.

Thanks!.........Krems

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    arbor press's, at least the ones ive used, are a bit overkill for a h/set press. kinda like usin a trebuchet to flip someone the bird. guess ya could do it if ya knew what to feel for and were super careful. it would also need a jaw tall enough for the h/tube, a cup and 2 blocks of wood.

id toss the flux at a shop and have em install the h/set and b/bkt. these are the 2 things ya can, yet cant fock up on a build. maybe the guy will show ya how if ya show up with a good 6 pack of his fave brew.

theres some very good books on bike work out there that show ya how. "zin and the art of mtb maint" is quite good but a bit dated. my rule is, if ya dont understand it, dont do it. not ill someone shows ya the trick anyway. do what cheeseball says and find a pal who knows his stuff. the cool thing is they have all the 1 time use tools.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Captain Underpants
    I'd probably not use an arbor press unless you can guarantee that the cups will stay in alignment once pressing has started. Hard to do, but not impossible--you would likely have to make some sort of jig that holds the cups in place. Like CC says, pay a shop to do it--a dedicated HS press will do a much better job, right tool for the job and all that. I have both available to me, and always use the HS press.

If you run outboard style crankset bearings you can buy the cup install wrench from Performance for about $9, but you still need a torque wrench that measures in inch-lbs to torque the crankarms and most of your bolts. I'm guessing that if you have an arbor press your are pretty handy with tools though.

Have a shop do your wheels, at least on your first build.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    What if you're to lazy to make home made threaded rod press?
    You buy one,of course! I picked one up for $40, have used it several times. I made my money back after the second use. And I'm not even counting the free beer I get from lending it out!