Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    319

    Long Travel Fork A-C Question

    I have a 2004 Marzocchi Z150FR and was wondering if anyone has the A-C length for it compared to the 2006 Marzocchi 66 forks in 150 and 170mm. I know the 06s are shorter, but are they close to the old Z150s? What about that new Fox 36 Coil's A-C for 160mm of travel? I have to say that saving about a pound off the front end doesn't sound bad.

    Bryan

  2. #2
    Lookin for that extra can
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    What about that new Fox 36 Coil's A-C for 160mm of travel? I have to say that saving about a pound off the front end doesn't sound bad.

    Bryan
    Dunno about the older or newer Marzocchi forks, but I measured my '06 Fox 36 Van at 546mm (give or take a mm or so since I had to approximate the center of the axle).

    --rip

  3. #3
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    There was a earlier thread that had a lot of info on the 06 66's.

    The 06 66 150mm I believe is the same A-C as the Z150 (538mm) and the 170mm version is 20mm longer as you would expect. As far as weight goes I don't think you'd save anything switching to a 66. I believe they were around 3000 grams or 6.6 lbs which is the same as my 04 Z150. To save weight go with the Z1 150.

    ~danno

  4. #4
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    (edit- typo!)I don't know about the '05's, but the 06 150mm 66 is supposed to be about the same as the 150mm Z150/ 2005 Z1: 538mm a2c.

    I've sold my Z150 and will probably wait for the '06 66. At 170mm and 5558a2c, the 66 will be about perfect imho, especially since I'm pulling 6.75" in back with my 2.25" stroke shock

  5. #5
    It's a Turner!
    Reputation: sirbikesalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    513
    I don't know - the 66 SL sounds really sweet to me. 150 to 170mm travel, 6lbs or so, low A2C. Just don't know about the travel quality of air vs. coil. If coil I'd go for the Fox Vanilla 36 - it's even lighter. But it's mucho $$$.


    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    (edit- typo!)I don't know about the '05's, but the 06 150mm 66 is supposed to be about the same as the 150mm Z150/ 2005 Z1: 538mm a2c.

    I've sold my Z150 and will probably wait for the '06 66. At 170mm and 5558a2c, the 66 will be about perfect imho, especially since I'm pulling 6.75" in back with my 2.25" stroke shock
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

  6. #6
    on a routine expedition
    Reputation: Marshall Willanholly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    I have a 2004 Marzocchi Z150FR and was wondering if anyone has the A-C length for it compared to the 2006 Marzocchi 66 forks in 150 and 170mm. I know the 06s are shorter, but are they close to the old Z150s? What about that new Fox 36 Coil's A-C for 160mm of travel? I have to say that saving about a pound off the front end doesn't sound bad.

    Bryan
    Here's a link to the thread with the info on the 06 Marz forks:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=126763

  7. #7
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    The www.nsmb.com review was interesting- sounded like the RC2X stuff kicks @ss. I would give up ETA if the feel is really improved that much by having both high & low speed compression damping. I was hoping to hear some more feedback from interbike from tcheezy and others about the '06 marzocchi stuff, but it sounds like it hasn't really become available yet.

    The fox stuff is just too expensive imho, at least for the way my bike gets used.

    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    I don't know - the 66 SL sounds really sweet to me. 150 to 170mm travel, 6lbs or so, low A2C. Just don't know about the travel quality of air vs. coil. If coil I'd go for the Fox Vanilla 36 - it's even lighter. But it's mucho $$$.

  8. #8
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,759
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    The fox stuff is just too expensive imho, at least for the way my bike gets used.
    msrp's
    66RC2X = 825.00usd
    36RC2 = 885.00usd
    I paid considerably less than that for my van 36rc2.

  9. #9
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    msrp's
    66RC2X = 825.00usd
    36RC2 = 885.00usd
    I paid considerably less than that for my van 36rc2.
    yeah I was going to mention that- I haven't seen much in the way of discounts on the fox stuff (although I'm sure the deals are out there)...I had talked with larry at MHC and his prices on the '06 'zocchi stuff will be very reasonable.

    I still want to hear some ride reports on teh '06 zocchi stuff before I pull the trigger...no rush since it's "XC season" here in Seattle...

  10. #10
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    when all yous guys start gettin nutty with the ugi, ill be there to buy some of yer old stuff. my new "6 pack and a nickle bag" will start out with a '01 Z1 cuz, well, i own it already but ill be lookin for a 6" fork for the longer rocker option and maybe a more recent 5" fork for the current short travel option. keep me in mind.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •