Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,037

    Upset living outside of the US sucks!!!

    I cant believe i was born in the US but live far, far away and miss all of this
    http://bikemag.com/features/onlineex...e/021306_best/
    the only trail i have a chance of hitting in this lifetime is the Finger Lakes Trail: Letchworth State Park, New York. So all of you NY homers get ready cause one of these days you'll be called to trail guide duty!
    PSI the sad expatriate

  2. #2
    karmacoma
    Reputation: triphop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    634
    and where exactly do u live right now?? cuz it might just be "living in (where u are) sucks"
    theres plenty of better places to live than the U.S.A
    downtepec & biketepetl riding monkeys - trademark, all rights reserved

  3. #3
    83 feet less per minute
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    732
    I think it would pretty cool to ride in the Holy Land. Kind of dangerous in places, but historical non-the-less. Most of us will never get a chance to go there.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

  4. #4
    ...
    Reputation: CDtofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,324

    Bonking ... not feelin' well

    Ahhh PSI, you have hit on something that I have been feeling these last three years as well. While I, as an American, agree that there are many places to live that are as good or even better than the States I have to say that there is no where with so much good riding spots. (In truth I would have to include Canada considering all the good riding there as well.)

    As for living conditions, social climate and quality of life I would pick a lot of places before the US but there are not many places anywhere else in the world that has the wonderful wide open spaces that allow for great trails like the ones in the article. I have ridden only one, National in AZ and I have to say I miss all the trails in the Phoenix area (and AZ in general) In Europe there is frankly a lack of singletrack. Sadly, I read something before I came here saying much the same thing and it bothered me, I thought it couldnt be true. I would have to agree with that now. I know there are some great riding throughout Europe, but aside from certain areas like the Alps, the trails are truly multi-use, here in Czech Republic they are often doubletrack and dirtroads that are used for cutting down (dead/diseased) trees. People bring little push carts in the woods to pick up deadfall for firewood. The trails while fun are generally short and to make a long loop I will see some pavement or dirtroads. Even in the mountains (hills) the paths are not 12-18 inches wide ribbons of dirt that most consider singletrack but rather narrow dirt roads.

    I miss the big open spaces of the American Southwest, I feel for all the UK guys that have to deal with all the gates and good riding spots just of the bridleways. I miss all the BLM lands...

    On the upside there are no militant walkey or horsey groups and political groups are formed for more important issues than trying to keep one part of the population of trails. If there is a trail here, you can bet its being used.

  5. #5
    chips & bier
    Reputation: eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Ahhh PSI, you have hit on something that I have been feeling these last three years as well. While I, as an American, agree that there are many places to live that are as good or even better than the States I have to say that there is no where with so much good riding spots. (In truth I would have to include Canada considering all the good riding there as well.)

    As for living conditions, social climate and quality of life I would pick a lot of places before the US but there are not many places anywhere else in the world that has the wonderful wide open spaces that allow for great trails like the ones in the article. I have ridden only one, National in AZ and I have to say I miss all the trails in the Phoenix area (and AZ in general) In Europe there is frankly a lack of singletrack. Sadly, I read something before I came here saying much the same thing and it bothered me, I thought it couldnt be true. I would have to agree with that now. I know there are some great riding throughout Europe, but aside from certain areas like the Alps, the trails are truly multi-use, here in Czech Republic they are often doubletrack and dirtroads that are used for cutting down (dead/diseased) trees. People bring little push carts in the woods to pick up deadfall for firewood. The trails while fun are generally short and to make a long loop I will see some pavement or dirtroads. Even in the mountains (hills) the paths are not 12-18 inches wide ribbons of dirt that most consider singletrack but rather narrow dirt roads.

    I miss the big open spaces of the American Southwest, I feel for all the UK guys that have to deal with all the gates and good riding spots just of the bridleways. I miss all the BLM lands...

    On the upside there are no militant walkey or horsey groups and political groups are formed for more important issues than trying to keep one part of the population of trails. If there is a trail here, you can bet its being used.
    Part of this is the fact that there just aren't many open spaces left in Europe.

    I've been to the Alps a number of times, and I can guarantee you there is wonderful riding. You just have to be aware of the countless trail closures to biking. I've been to the Czech Republic as well - Krnkonosze (sp?) - up by the Polish border, and I must say I found some of the most fun, technical and challenging singetracks I've ever seen. The problem is many EU places have enough singletrack, but it is never marked specifically for biking.

  6. #6
    ...
    Reputation: CDtofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Part of this is the fact that there just aren't many open spaces left in Europe.

    I've been to the Alps a number of times, and I can guarantee you there is wonderful riding. You just have to be aware of the countless trail closures to biking. I've been to the Czech Republic as well - Krnkonosze (sp?) - up by the Polish border, and I must say I found some of the most fun, technical and challenging singetracks I've ever seen. The problem is many EU places have enough singletrack, but it is never marked specifically for biking.

    True dat, true dat...the first part of your post is spot on. I did not want to bag on riding in Europe, I know there are a lot of good places to ride that I have not been to, yet. I do agree that there are a lot of trails and that they are not specifically marked as biking. Its just not usually the same narrow twisty type of trail found in the places from PSIs article. I promise to do my best to find some this summer though..

  7. #7
    chips & bier
    Reputation: eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    True dat, true dat...the first part of your post is spot on. I did not want to bag on riding in Europe, I know there are a lot of good places to ride that I have not been to, yet. I do agree that there are a lot of trails and that they are not specifically marked as biking. Its just not usually the same narrow twisty type of trail found in the places from PSIs article. I promise to do my best to find some this summer though..
    Beleive me, if I could take my bikes on every trip to the US, I would.

    Part of the problem is the attitude of mountainbikers in general in Europe (we are years behind the US in terms of broadly accepting technical riding as fun and challenging ), and part of it is also the small size of the MTB community.

    I live in the Netherlands, and basically anything technical gets either marked w/ paint or dug out a.s.a.p. to prevent somebody from hurting themselves. Plus, the climate is miserable 50% of the year, and the concept of not riding in the mud, 'cause it wrecks the trails, just doesn't fly here. Luckily the Ardennes are only 2 hours driving from here.

    If anything, France probably has a trail network and quality comparable to many places in the US. Not only the Alpes, but the Drôme/Ardeche area, and the border Ardennes have some beatiful places w/ great singletrack.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: running life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    44

    I Am Amazed!

    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    I cant believe i was born in the US but live far, far away and miss all of this
    http://bikemag.com/features/onlineex...e/021306_best/
    the only trail i have a chance of hitting in this lifetime is the Finger Lakes Trail: Letchworth State Park, New York. So all of you NY homers get ready cause one of these days you'll be called to trail guide duty!
    PSI the sad expatriate
    PSI, i'm out of MTBing for 2 months and this what happens?!

    The short ride we have to take to each kind of trail, the number of different types of trails, from pure XC to lovely singletrack and amazing freeriding, all within reach, all open to MTBers, no rules, no horses going over, no hikers..

    The US people might claim to have longer trails, can't argue with that - but to speak of our lovely homeground like that? Have you no shame?

    you just wait, i'm coming back next week!

  9. #9
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Reputation: RedRocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,930
    I still don't get the Tsali Left Loop thing. If I had a choice at Tsali I'd take Thompson and Mouse over Left and Right. I'd also take Tanasi over Tsali. It's not Pisgah "bloody" and there's loads of swoopy singletrack.
    Yummy!

    PS - there are a bunch of places to ride in GA/TN/NC and we have great weather. You can really ride just about year 'round.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •