My name is Mud

A little help please

I am contemplating ditching the Nomad and purchasing a 5 pack or RFX (leaning towards 5 pack). Ride a little of everything: trails, around town, smaller jumps, drops stuff...

Have several questions for you Turner gurus:

1st: Possible build
    5 pack (or RFX) DHX Coil and Vanilla 36 fork. Will run 819s with Maxxis 2.35. I have 36 talas, but prefer not to use it on this bike.

Does anyone see any problems here. (fork, tire clearance, etc...)

2nd: test runs
    Does anyone here have an FXR in the bay area that would be willing to let me take theirs for a spin. Hopefully small or medium frame.

Your input is appreciated,
    Ed
    Last edited by derelict; 05-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.

not so super...

Fxr??

Do you mean RFX or are you talking about a Foes FXR?
    Nothing to see here.

My name is Mud
    RFX, forgive me, I am retarded

mtbr member
    With what little you've given us of the possible build it looks pretty standard without any compatibility issues. Depending on your riding style you may want to look at slightly heavier/wider rims. Definately stay away from the 36 Talas.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 05-15-2006 at 08:52 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    If you want max exposure to line up a test ride, start a new thread called "Paging Bay Area 6-Pack/RFX owners: Test Ride Please..." and give them your request along with stats like your height and weight, etc. I bet someone would pipe up.

Why do you want to move away from the Nomad? Turtle 1 just swung the other way.

Good luck.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

My name is Mud
    Initially hesitated with the Nomad, wanted a little less travel and a little less maintenance

[QUOTE=

Why do you want to move away from the Nomad? Turtle 1 just swung the other way.

Good luck. [/QUOTE]

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    Initially hesitated with the Nomad, wanted a little less travel and a little less maintenance
    Translation: "Deep down I always wanted a Turner"
    No shame in that brah. We've all been there. Follow your heart.

Shoppers rule #1: Buy what you want or buy it twice.
    Shoppers rule #2: There's no cure for UGI, but for treatment see rule #1
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Paper or plastic?
    Who'd have thought you would ever leave the SC family?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

long standing member
    Possible build:
    5 pack (or RFX) DHX Coil and Vanilla 36 fork...I have 36 talas, but prefer not to use it on this bike.

Does anyone see any problems here. (fork, tire clearance, etc...)
    Not that I can speak with any authority on this subject, but I would wonder about how a 5 Pack would feel with a 160mm fork up front. There would be an inch or so difference in travel front and back, I just wonder if that would negatively affect handling.

So is anyone else here running a 6+" fork on their 5 Pack? How's it feel?

It would also slacken the HA a bit, probably to less than 68*. This may be desirable, though, depending on intended use. For all-around riding an adjustable fork seems like it would be a little more versatile. Why don't you want to use the 36 Talas?

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 05-15-2006 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Not that I can speak with any authority on this subject, but I would wonder about how a 5 Pack would feel with a 160mm fork up front. There would be an inch or so difference in travel front and back, I just wonder if that would negatively affect handling.

So is anyone else here running a 6+" fork on their 5 Pack? How's it feel?

It would also slacken the HA a bit, probably to less than 68*. This may be desirable, though, depending on intended use. For all-around riding an adjustable fork seems like it would be a little more versatile. Why don't you want to use the 36 Talas?

Patrick

Patrick
    ...I typically run around 150mm in the front on the RFX5. Feels great. I had gotten to the point where I was running nearly 150mm with the Z1 light ETA on the Spot & the RFX5 definitely feels a bit quicker handling than the Spot did with similar setup...tho I haven't actually measured the angle, it feels perfect for the all around riding I do (lot's of steep/ rooty climbs leading to fast DH sections littered with drops small & large)