Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Little fork help please.

Need a little advice, for starters I am a fat (5-10 260) guy. I currently have a 05 Z1 FR ETA on my RFX but it’s too soft. I talked with Marzocchi about playing with oil weights but they say the only real answer is to go with a 66. I’m running the PSI chamber at 40 PSI and I can still pretty much bottom the fork out just bouncing up and down in front of the house.

Now I have no issue dropping more cash into my bike but hate repeating purchases. I replaced a horrible Sherman Firefly Plus with the Z1 FR ETA. I do think the Zoke is a great fork but I may just be too heavy for it. I’m mostly doing normal trail work but I don’t want a lot of bob when doing climbs sitting or standing.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Need a little advice, for starters I am a fat (5-10 260) guy. I currently have a 05 Z1 FR ETA on my RFX but itís too soft. I talked with Marzocchi about playing with oil weights but they say the only real answer is to go with a 66. Iím running the PSI chamber at 40 PSI and I can still pretty much bottom the fork out just bouncing up and down in front of the house.

Now I have no issue dropping more cash into my bike but hate repeating purchases. I replaced a horrible Sherman Firefly Plus with the Z1 FR ETA. I do think the Zoke is a great fork but I may just be too heavy for it. Iím mostly doing normal trail work but I donít want a lot of bob when doing climbs sitting or standing.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Is it the Z1 FR1 with air preload? I recently purchased an '05 Z1 FR1 and it's coil with air preload on the right leg. The fork was very firm when I got it and I'm 200lbs, I started with 5psi of preload and still wasn't getting full travel and it felt too progressive so I took some oil out, about 15cc's, and the fork felt much better, plush and smooth. It also felt too soft so I bumped the air preload back up to 10psi and I think it's pretty dialed at this point.

If you do have the Z1 model like I have and it's too soft even with 40psi in the preload chamber then you need more oil in the fork, try adding 20cc's, but the air preload is only supposed to go up to 15psi. Maybe at your weight the springs aren't heavy enough but I've read thats all they have, I would imagine a little more oil would help though.

If it's not the Z1 FR1, then nevermind

Shovel Ready
    Yep, Z1 FR1 ETA. This is a great fork I think I'm just to heavy for it right now. Today's project is to replace the 7.5 weight oil with some 10 weight. Since I cannot get a different spring for it there is not a lot of options at this point.

rr
    I don't do PC
    tscheezy runs the same fork I think, he could probably give you some tips. Why would the 66 fork work? do they have firmer springs?

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

According to the information I have received the spring options on the 66 are endless. Reason I posted this here was the Turner forum seems to have many larger travel riders. No one should take away in my post that I dislike the Z1 FR1 ETA fork. That's not the case! I'm just in a way above average weight class at this point!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I Love My Bike !!!!

Just thought I would tell you guys ...I love My 5-spot ..Im sure you guys have heard this many times But it is the best bike I have ever ridden

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    cancel this post

Roy
    mtbr member
    Yep, it's the springs. You can put more oil in it to prevent it from bottoming, which is good, but it will still blow thru it's travel too quickly. The 66 is an air fork so you can't be too heavy for the springs, which is good. Unless there is a third party that makes heavy springs for the Z1, I believe you do need to go to the 66.
    The 66 is even burlier than the Z1 so an added bonus is extra stiffness, particularly at your weight.