Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Link to my RFX pics

    I'm sorry if I'm lazy, but I don't even know how to post pics here. I tried but I'm not very saavy.

    If someone is saving the pics anyways and knows how to post here, be my guest!

    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...threadid=82267

    Discussion can still be held here too though, as this is home for all things Turner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  2. #2
    Still chuggin' along
    Reputation: kpicha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    818
    Oooo, yummy-I like the silver decal! Nice job! and sweet spec!

  3. #3
    roots, rocks, rhythm
    Reputation: Dawgprimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    538

    Nice....................

    Very nice............love the black
    Now I kinda wish I did what you did. I re-powder coated my RFX black but I didn't do the rear triangle. (It was originally green) But seeing your's now I wish I would have.
    I should be getting mine on the road this weekend and I can't wait..........
    Now Saturday can't come quick enough...............
    Of coarse it is not have as many bling bling's as your or others on this site but it will be nice...........I think anyways.....

    Thanks

  4. #4
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    So sexy it hurts.











    ...and to think I was this -><- close to buying that frame. Ah, to see it now.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-14-2004 at 01:30 AM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    ....who turned out the lights?


  6. #6
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Full specs:

    Frame: '01 RFX - re-powdered by Olympic PC, Turner's OEM
    Shock: PUSH "race"/works Fox Vanilla RC
    Fork: '03 Z.1
    Wheels: ft King 20mm and rr King ISO w/ HD axle, fun bolts, steel driveshell / DT 14/15db spokes/ Arrow FRX/ black brass nips
    Tires: Kenda Tomac Nevegal 2.35 single ply stick-E rubber ft/rr
    Headset: King
    Stem: Titec RIP 3D 31.8 90x8
    Bar: Answer ProtaperOS 31.8
    Grips: ODI collars, Oury lock-ons
    Bar caps: Snafu corks
    Brakes: Hayes Mag lever body and caliper, BikeBonz lever blades, Goodridge hoses, Galfer pads and 203mm wavy rotors
    Shifters/RR der: Sram X-7
    Cranks/BB: Shimano '04 LX 26/36/Truvativ 38t 7075 bash
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    Ft der/Cassette: XT

    Weight: 35.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,384
    Damn! Was the orange an original Turner color? How much to get it repainted?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,384
    double post, so I'll go ahead and edit...
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...and to think I was this -><- close to buying that frame. Ah, to see it now.
    What about the Highline?
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-14-2004 at 07:56 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,384
    Yup, a triple post. Sorry folks.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-14-2004 at 07:58 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    847

    Damn that's nice!

    looks sooo sweet.
    All you need now is a new '04 Marz and the whole damn thing will be black!

    I've got a new build coming on my '01 rfx that I'll post up once it's completed ... so how do you like you "pushed" fox?


    Clem

  11. #11
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    That's really a respectable weight for such a burly frame that you could do some light downhill on. How do you like the X7 derailleur? I'm going to get one soon, especially since I found out the only real difference is in the pulleys which get replaced with x.0's anyway.
    I do absolutely everything on that bike, from DH to small hucks, DS and dirt jumping, to trying to chase my shop's XC race team around. Even at ~240 I have no worries about the strength of the bike.

    The X.7 der is fine, the ergo on the X.7 shifters are wonderful. I really love the thumb-thumb shifting. Took about 5 rides to get used to, but now I'm sold. I still hate 9sp though, even with Sram's ESP 1:1 it still can't hold a candle to basic 8sp. Rumor is next year there will be X.7 8sp, and if the cassette choices are there, I'll be on it in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Tires: Kenda Tomac Nevegal 2.35 single ply stick-E rubber ft/rr
    How do you like the Nevegals? Are you running them front & rear?

  13. #13
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    looks sooo sweet.
    All you need now is a new '04 Marz and the whole damn thing will be black!

    I've got a new build coming on my '01 rfx that I'll post up once it's completed ... so how do you like you "pushed" fox?


    Clem
    Nah, thinking more like '05 Marz! Getting more and more interested in the "66" fork that's coming down the pipe. If it winds up being TOO tall I'm hoping the Z150 drops the hotrod flame paint and comes in all black. For now my Z1 with heavier weight oil is working like magic.

    So far the Push is great. Real damping, real control, pedals just like my Romic did but is much more sensitive to small stuff for the same amount of platform. Darren has delivered the results as advertised! Great guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  14. #14
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    How do you like the Nevegals? Are you running them front & rear?
    Yeah ft/rr = front/rear.

    They are great. Gobs of traction with the big slotted knobs and sticky rubber, yet roll ok because the center knobs are ramped. If you're coming from an XC tire though you will feel the increased drag and weight (about 780g), but it's all a tradeoff anyways. I'm very happy with them for a do everything tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    ......kinda reminds me of a DHR I once saw.....


  16. #16
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    OK, some brief product reviews:

    Frame: '01 RFX
    - Easy. Best bike I've ever ridden. My '02 DHR didn't have much more travel, but it weighed a ton more. Two different bikes I know, but what I can do on them DH/FR wise is about the same. Sometimes I know I'm faster on the RFX cuz it's 10 pounds lighter and pedals better. And then there's the RFX's ability to do everything else, including XC/trail duty, that makes it a champ in my book. My '01 Ventana LaBruja may have been sexier, but the RFX beats it in every performance category in my book.

    Shock: PUSH "race"/works Fox Vanilla RC
    - It works. Darren delivers as promised. Real valving, real damping, pedals like my Romic did when cranked up but is much more sensitive to small bumps for an equal amount of pedalling platform. Comes dialed straight out of the box. Worth every penny, and a bargain at that!

    Fork: '03 Z.1
    - Out of the box Marzocchi's are the only forks I've ridden that feel like they actually have dampers inside. Rebound can be set slow, even with X-heavy springs installed. Rode it all last season with the stock oil and it felt great, changed to 10w oil this spring and OMG is it incredible. Much more efficient use of travel. Using the same oil heights and hitting the same trails/jumps/drops, I'm not using 3/4"+ of travel now that I used before. To get full travel I now need to lower my oil level because it's more efficient. Very cool way to actually see results.

    Wheels: ft King 20mm and rr King ISO w/ HD axle, fun bolts, steel driveshell / DT 14/15db spokes/ Arrow FRX/ black brass nips
    - What can I say, they're Kings. Hadley and RazorRock were both pimped pretty hard in the time I tried them both out, and they really can't compare at all for engagement, which is my #1 criteria. Not even in the same league. I'd like to ride the new Hadley freehub to compare, but at a certain point it's all diminishing returns.
    - The bearing adjustment on the front 20mm and rear HD axle equipped hubs are slick. Just loosen a pinch bolt on the adjuster lockring, tighten ring by hand, and retighten bolt. The rear one I do have to remove the rotor but still, not using proprietary tools is very cool.

    Tires: Kenda Tomac Nevegal 2.35 single ply stick-E rubber ft/rr
    - They are great. Gobs of traction with the big slotted knobs and sticky rubber, yet roll ok because the center knobs are ramped. I'm very happy with them for a do everything tire. Weight is about 780g. They shed mud ok too. Wear isn't too shabby for a sticky, even with some of the street riding I've been toying with. Kinda like a mini-Mich 2.8 moto-esque tire, but more advanced with the ramping/grooving of the knobs.

    Stem: Titec RIP 3D 31.8 90x8
    - Basically a Thomson for 31.8 bars, without the annoying Thomson clamp. I'll probably eat those words after knee'ing a pinch bolt now.

    Brakes: Hayes Mag lever body and caliper, BikeBonz lever blades, Goodridge hoses, Galfer pads and 203mm wavy rotors
    - Hayes - there's a million opinions already. I like 'em.
    - BikeBonz 2 finger Trigger - Basically a RazorRock lever without the secondary adjustment. Shorter and wider than stock. Beefier of course. Stiffer maybe. Works better for me.
    - Goodridge hose - Good if you tear/kink hose I guess. No difference in feel IMO. They are very flexible though, so that's another plus I guess.
    - Galfer pads - Hit and miss. Bought two sets at same time, each came with different colored paint on backing. One set broke in quickly and feels very good, more feel than stock Hayes pads and good power. Second set has refused to break in, cannot lock up even my rear wheel. I have an RA to return them, and will once I buy some Hayes to get me by.
    - Galfer rotos - 120% NOT WORTH A PENNY! - They had the bright idea to make the rotors thicker. Sure it makes them stiffer/stronger, but did they ever consider what that might do to the functionality of the brakes? Hell no. I had to sand my brand new pads 5-6 times to remove enough material to allow my wheels to spin. That's alot of material. Both brakes still rub, but now I can at least ride without feeling the brakes are always on. I truly wish there was a satisfaction guarantee and a money back offer on these. Shame too, cuz they are pretty to look at and the cleaning properties sound like a benefit too.

    Shifters/RR der: Sram X-7
    - The der has been fine. The ergonomics of the shifters is wonderful. Took about 5 rides to get used to, but now I'm sold on them. Still hate 9sp, even with Sram's 1:1 cable pull, too finicky and can't hold a candle to 8sp. As long as the cassette choices are there, I'll buy the 8sp X.7 in a heartbeat next year.

    Pedals: Wellgo MG1
    - They really are ~380g, for both! It's crazy. VERY grippy too. Even after loosing 1 pin already by grounding a pedal I'm very happy with them and would recommend them for a lightweight (the lightest?) flat pedal option.

    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    - Crazy light for how comfy and durable it is. I've wiped out several times and it's still straight and un-torn. Can't believe it only weighs 30g more than my SLR-XP, which rides about the way it looks - stiff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  17. #17
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,973
    Damn, what a sweet ride! looks much better in black imho.

    While we're RFX gabbin' check this: I got some stainless phillips pan-head metric screws and put them in my ISCG mounts. The heads sit about 1.5mm from my granny gear bolts. Now it is impossible to drop my chain, it just gets bounced back on to the granny.

    Once again, sweet ride!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    OK, some brief product reviews:

    Frame: '01 RFX
    - Easy. Best bike I've ever ridden. My '02 DHR didn't have much more travel, but it weighed a ton more. Two different bikes I know, but what I can do on them DH/FR wise is about the same. Sometimes I know I'm faster on the RFX cuz it's 10 pounds lighter and pedals better. And then there's the RFX's ability to do everything else, including XC/trail duty, that makes it a champ in my book. My '01 Ventana LaBruja may have been sexier, but the RFX beats it in every performance category in my book.

    Shock: PUSH "race"/works Fox Vanilla RC
    - It works. Darren delivers as promised. Real valving, real damping, pedals like my Romic did when cranked up but is much more sensitive to small bumps for an equal amount of pedalling platform. Comes dialed straight out of the box. Worth every penny, and a bargain at that!

    Fork: '03 Z.1
    - Out of the box Marzocchi's are the only forks I've ridden that feel like they actually have dampers inside. Rebound can be set slow, even with X-heavy springs installed. Rode it all last season with the stock oil and it felt great, changed to 10w oil this spring and OMG is it incredible. Much more efficient use of travel. Using the same oil heights and hitting the same trails/jumps/drops, I'm not using 3/4"+ of travel now that I used before. To get full travel I now need to lower my oil level because it's more efficient. Very cool way to actually see results.

    Wheels: ft King 20mm and rr King ISO w/ HD axle, fun bolts, steel driveshell / DT 14/15db spokes/ Arrow FRX/ black brass nips
    - What can I say, they're Kings. Hadley and RazorRock were both pimped pretty hard in the time I tried them both out, and they really can't compare at all for engagement, which is my #1 criteria. Not even in the same league. I'd like to ride the new Hadley freehub to compare, but at a certain point it's all diminishing returns.
    - The bearing adjustment on the front 20mm and rear HD axle equipped hubs are slick. Just loosen a pinch bolt on the adjuster lockring, tighten ring by hand, and retighten bolt. The rear one I do have to remove the rotor but still, not using proprietary tools is very cool.

    Tires: Kenda Tomac Nevegal 2.35 single ply stick-E rubber ft/rr
    - They are great. Gobs of traction with the big slotted knobs and sticky rubber, yet roll ok because the center knobs are ramped. I'm very happy with them for a do everything tire. Weight is about 780g. They shed mud ok too. Wear isn't too shabby for a sticky, even with some of the street riding I've been toying with. Kinda like a mini-Mich 2.8 moto-esque tire, but more advanced with the ramping/grooving of the knobs.

    Stem: Titec RIP 3D 31.8 90x8
    - Basically a Thomson for 31.8 bars, without the annoying Thomson clamp. I'll probably eat those words after knee'ing a pinch bolt now.

    Brakes: Hayes Mag lever body and caliper, BikeBonz lever blades, Goodridge hoses, Galfer pads and 203mm wavy rotors
    - Hayes - there's a million opinions already. I like 'em.
    - BikeBonz 2 finger Trigger - Basically a RazorRock lever without the secondary adjustment. Shorter and wider than stock. Beefier of course. Stiffer maybe. Works better for me.
    - Goodridge hose - Good if you tear/kink hose I guess. No difference in feel IMO. They are very flexible though, so that's another plus I guess.
    - Galfer pads - Hit and miss. Bought two sets at same time, each came with different colored paint on backing. One set broke in quickly and feels very good, more feel than stock Hayes pads and good power. Second set has refused to break in, cannot lock up even my rear wheel. I have an RA to return them, and will once I buy some Hayes to get me by.
    - Galfer rotos - 120% NOT WORTH A PENNY! - They had the bright idea to make the rotors thicker. Sure it makes them stiffer/stronger, but did they ever consider what that might do to the functionality of the brakes? Hell no. I had to sand my brand new pads 5-6 times to remove enough material to allow my wheels to spin. That's alot of material. Both brakes still rub, but now I can at least ride without feeling the brakes are always on. I truly wish there was a satisfaction guarantee and a money back offer on these. Shame too, cuz they are pretty to look at and the cleaning properties sound like a benefit too.

    Shifters/RR der: Sram X-7
    - The der has been fine. The ergonomics of the shifters is wonderful. Took about 5 rides to get used to, but now I'm sold on them. Still hate 9sp, even with Sram's 1:1 cable pull, too finicky and can't hold a candle to 8sp. As long as the cassette choices are there, I'll buy the 8sp X.7 in a heartbeat next year.

    Pedals: Wellgo MG1
    - They really are ~380g, for both! It's crazy. VERY grippy too. Even after loosing 1 pin already by grounding a pedal I'm very happy with them and would recommend them for a lightweight (the lightest?) flat pedal option.

    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    - Crazy light for how comfy and durable it is. I've wiped out several times and it's still straight and un-torn. Can't believe it only weighs 30g more than my SLR-XP, which rides about the way it looks - stiff!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 09:53 AM
  2. more mistaken 4-bar analysis
    By derby in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
  3. Pics of 8" link + shock please
    By Lucky13 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
  4. More Switchblade link information
    By Jaybo in forum Titus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •