Link to 5*Spot Pix

Well, since everyone else is doing it, I thought I would be cool too.
    My page with 5*Spot Pix

This bike has replaced the SC Blur as my Trail Bike. I'll post some pix of my DHR later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Questions

Quote Originally Posted by vondur
    Well, since everyone else is doing it, I thought I would be cool too.
    My page with 5*Spot Pix

This bike has replaced the SC Blur as my Trail Bike. I'll post some pix of my DHR later.
    I like the way you spec'd your bike, but I'm confused. You have a great fork in that Z1FR, but then you paired it with carbon bars. If you use that Z1 to it's full capabilities, the carbon bars could be a serious liability.

If you're running carbon bars, why aren't you using a carbon post? I have an extra one if you're in the market. I removed all traces of carbon from my spot. I'm also using a Z1FR (2003).

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm not sure why you are concerned about carbon bars. Easton makes carbon DH bars, after all, and the Moneky Lite XC bars like the ones I use are plenty beefy enough for whatever the Spot will survive. On the other hand, I would not trust carbon posts. That is my little contradictory hang-up.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    I like the way you spec'd your bike, but I'm confused. You have a great fork in that Z1FR, but then you paired it with carbon bars. If you use that Z1 to it's full capabilities, the carbon bars could be a serious liability.

If you're running carbon bars, why aren't you using a carbon post? I have an extra one if you're in the market. I removed all traces of carbon from my spot. I'm also using a Z1FR (2003).
    Disagree with you on the carbon bars. I had a Z1 and easton mokey lite carbon bars on my salty for 2+ years with no problems.
    blah blah blah

Actually, I am going to change the bars out. I have some EA70 aluminium bars that I need to swap with, just lazy at the moment. I have seen people bring in some of the carbon bars that have been snapped, and I dont want that happening to me. At least with aluminium, they will bend before breaking.

Why would anyone use anything besides a Thomson?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vondur
    Why would anyone use anything besides a Thomson?
    That's why I have the carbon post just laying around ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I'm not sure why you are concerned about carbon bars. Easton makes carbon DH bars, after all, and the Moneky Lite XC bars like the ones I use are plenty beefy enough for whatever the Spot will survive. On the other hand, I would not trust carbon posts. That is my little contradictory hang-up.

tscheezy
    I just have a hangup about anything carbon on a bike capable of lite freeride. I suppose it's the catastrophic nature of carbon bar failures. I do have Monkey Lite XC bars on my Fuel. A carbon post failing could also cause bodily damage, but it would most likely be soft tissue damage. When bars fail, you risk broken bones and a broken neck.

The carbon bars only save around 50 grams over the EA 70 aluminum bars. Big deal. I'm using a fork that weighs more than 1.5 pounds more than a Vanilla. 50 grams for peace of mind is worth it to me. The same goes for the posts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Disagree with you on the carbon bars. I had a Z1 and easton mokey lite carbon bars on my salty for 2+ years with no problems.
    I'm relatively sure that most people would not have any problems using a carbon bar......ever. It's simply the catastrophic nature of a bar failure that keeps me from using it on my spot.

An extra 50 grams for peace of mind is worth it to me.

Even if only 1 bar in a thousand fails....that's too much for me.......if I'm the one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm relatively sure that most people would not have any problems using a carbon bar......ever. It's simply the catastrophic nature of a bar failure that keeps me from using it on my spot.

Even if only 1 bar in a thousand fails....that's too much for me.......if I'm the one.
    I'm not sure if this is the general case with aluminum bars, but I have seen aluminum bars fail catastrophically too - snap as opposed to bend.

mtbr member
    how bout those DHR pics......

otb club member

I think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Biandon
    I'm not sure if this is the general case with aluminum bars, but I have seen aluminum bars fail catastrophically too - snap as opposed to bend.
    Aluminum bars are subject to catastrophic failure as well. The Easton carbon bars are stronger than aluminum. Check out the site--all the aluminum bars have a limited 5-year warranty. All the carbon bars have a limited lifetime warranty.

Like others, though, I don't like carbon seat posts. They involve transitioning to aluminum and I don't trust the bonding. As for it being preferable to have the seat post break as opposed to the handle bars, I can't agree with that previous post. Having shards of jagged carbon shoved where the sun don't shine doesn't sound like a great alternative to going over the front....

Of, course, for full disclosure, nothing looks as cool as a Monkeylite Carbon bar.

-Chris
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Tonight we ride.

It's not the weight savings. It's the increased strength of CF bars and the way it eliminates small vibrations when riding. Go read about strength testing on the Easton site. Ther CF bars are many times stronger than their DH al bars.

And al bars snap the same way CF bars do. All you need is a stress riser like with CF.

Now a CF seatpost...that's something I would never use.