Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's carbon dontcha know.

Lightweight bash for XTR cranks?

I need something to swap out the big ring when I'm not racing, suggestions for something lightweight which will fit my shiney new 970 cranks?

Also needs to not fall apart with Prolink Gold lube, the Truvativ Rockguard I tried on my Highline seemed to have an aversion to the stuff and lasted no time at all.

Anyone using the E-Thirteen Turbocharger with prolink lube?
    The other one which looked lighter was the Gamut G25 bashguard but I can't find a weight for just the guard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've had a RaceFace bash ring instead of a big ring on my XTR's for years. It's all beat to hell and flatish on one side, but no problems.

mtbr platinum member
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Delirious Tuck

Second the BBG stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    Works great in the NY/CT region's rock strewn trail systems...

It's carbon dontcha know.
    The BBG ones look great, good price, weighs less than the turbocharger and the metal won't melt with the prolink.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are plenty of great chainlubes that work perfectly with the Turbocharger, and from a strength to weight standpoint, there isn't a metal bashguard in the world that can even come close.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

www.derbyrims.com

Special length ring bolts for Turbocharger?

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    There are plenty of great chainlubes that work perfectly with the , and from a strength to weight standpoint, there isn't a metal bashguard in the world that can even come close.
    DW, in the e13 product listing it says: "7075 T6 inserts mount the Turbocharger to your crank lightweight standard chainring bolts." (http://www.e13components.com/product_turbocharger.html)

This was one of the selling points for me. But I found there was no way my FSA chain ring bolts were long enough, the threads wouldn't even start. I had to grind down some aftermarket normal size bash guard steel bolts shorter to fit the odd size Turbocharger mount holds (PITA).

Was my FSA Afterburner bolt length just an exception to the norm, and most other crankset bolts will fit?

Thanks, RS

mtbr member
    Salsa Ring Dinger

ride better, ride faster
    Grind the teeth off an old worn big chainring?? I did this recently and it looks good...

destination unknown
    May 2008
    FSA alloy bashring works great on my XTR's. Only a couple grams heavier than a XTR big ring if you're worried about that sort of thing.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    The BBG ones look great, good price, weighs less than the turbocharger and the metal won't melt with the prolink.
    The BBG guard is stamped from a thin sheet of aluminum. It doesn't survive abuse. I've had to file it many times after impacts so the chain would shift back into the big ring without issues. It lives a happy life on my wife's bike now. It's also good for XC/singlespeed applications. It's not a bashguard in terms of bashing into things.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Ti is addictive
    Straitline makes a awesome bashguard as well.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    There are plenty of great chainlubes that work perfectly with the Turbocharger, and from a strength to weight standpoint, there isn't a metal bashguard in the world that can even come close.
    How come no 32T Turbochargers?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you really want a "lightweight bash guard" on an XTR crankset, why wouldn't you just leave the big ring on?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

bike weenie
    Blackspire lite god...

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    DW, in the e13 product listing it says: "7075 T6 inserts mount the Turbocharger to your crank lightweight standard chainring bolts." (http://www.e13components.com/product_turbocharger.html)

This was one of the selling points for me. But I found there was no way my FSA chain ring bolts were long enough, the threads wouldn't even start. I had to grind down some aftermarket normal size bash guard steel bolts shorter to fit the odd size Turbocharger mount holds (PITA).

Was my FSA Afterburner bolt length just an exception to the norm, and most other crankset bolts will fit?

Thanks, RS
    The bolts on my xt were a bit short. The threads started but didnt go halfway through. I found some old steel double ring bolts from my stash that were a wee bit longer. They now work fine. I havent really bashed into things with them yet though.

bump and grind
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

Thanks, RS
    The bolts on my xt were a bit short. The threads started but didnt go halfway through. I found some old steel double ring bolts from my stash that were a wee bit longer. They now work fine. I havent really bashed into things with them yet though.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    I need something to swap out the big ring when I'm not racing, suggestions for something lightweight which will fit my shiney new 970 cranks?

Also needs to not fall apart with Prolink Gold lube, the Truvativ Rockguard I tried on my Highline seemed to have an aversion to the stuff and lasted no time at all.

The other one which looked lighter was the Gamut G25 bashguard but I can't find a weight for just the guard.
    As DW mentioned, there are many easy to find synthetic lubes that are not harmful to plastic (email for full list). The primary downside to metal bashguards are that they must bend to deflect large impacts. On full suspension bikes, especially with the trend toward lower BB heights you would ideally want something that will stand repeated hits.

Derby - The 7075 inserts refer to the custom gold sleeves that prevent overtorquing of the Turbocharger (which would lead to cracking). The TRC was also designed around "Double" size chainring bolts. There are two typical sizes...usually 6mm total length bolts on more Trail/AM cranks and 8mm total length on FR/DH cranksets. The 6mm bolts typically only barely engage threads, and the 8mm bolts are fine.

MK - We played around with the idea of a 32T Turbocharger (to go with a 32T dedicated SRS+...in theory). The 5mm extra ground clearance versus the 32-36T Turbo is negligible, and there simply wasn't a large demand for that size when were in the design phase 1.5 years ago. We're certainly open to revisiting the idea for AM rigs and DJ/Park guys who run 32T exclusively.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to email me!

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen

mtbr member
    not very applicable but 32t/xtr cranks/lg1+ w/ integrated bash = best set up EVARRRR. seriously...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    if you want something light and simple the FSA "works" great if you just want to ditch the big ring...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Saint bash guard looks and works really well on XTR cranks. And they are cheap.
    Shimano M970 Crankset with bashguard?

Don't forget to order Saint chainring bolts to install it because the heads are a little wider than standard bolts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

+1 on Lite God

Has worked flawlessly for me so far, on both the Uzzi and Tracer... but I live in the Pac NW and tend to bounce over logs and moss covered rocks mostly.

It is very light (only weighs 60g or so), well built (in Canada) and is reasonably priced.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a Lite God as well on my XT cranks last year with zero issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    If you really want a "lightweight bash guard" on an XTR crankset, why wouldn't you just leave the big ring on?
    Because they are $150.00 each.

Plus I save it for the mountains where I need the gears more than the bash function.

outclassed by his bike

E-Thirteen guards and ProLink do not work at all. I went through two of those, an FSA bash, and a Saint bash in one season. None of them lasted more than a month. (I ride rough XC and am very light, so it was definitely not my hardcore riding style that was the problem.) I finally got clued in to the fact that the lube was the problem. Switched to an alu Race Face bash and have never looked back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast