mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Light and right? XTR/317 disc??

Hi there, my Burner has been hanging out for a new set of wheels and we would like a bit of advice. (I figured I would post this here as it is a Turner) There are some good deals on xtr disc hubs around . Also Mavic 317 disc, light and well priced. The 317 disc looks the same as the 717 disc and supposedly the same weight@ 495gs, and half the price. I am 155lbs and ride xc/roots. Sure I can prune my money tree & rake up the $$$ for Chris Kings etc but , is it worth it?( coz money doesn't grow on trees y'know) The XTR/317 combo , built well , seems like it would be a hard working set up??
    Here is a shot of my bike ,eagerly awaiting your wisdom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The 317/XTR will be a good setup. The 317 Disc and the 717 Disk are identical. The 317 is the older model. Mavic changed the name (not the rim) last year. CK hubs, while nice, are not necessary. The only advantages to the CK hubs will be quicker engagement of the rear hub and the longevity.

banned
    I would check aebike for their DT 240s deals also. Very well priced on 4.1d rims. I just picked up a rear on an 819 and the QBP build is excellent.

A correction- aren't the 317's in the low 400 gram range?

Bite Me.
    The 317/717 rims are really good and quite light - more like 420gr. If you go XTR hubs, are you wedded to the centerlock rotor mount? I know there are adaptors for the IS 6 bolt, but that seems like a second rate patch to me. I recently picked up a set of wheels with Hope Pro II hubs in the back and the Hope XC hub up front - very good quality and top notch engagement, plus very reasonably priced. Other than the centerlock rotor mount question it's hard to argue with XTR quality.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

A correction- aren't the 317's in the low 400 gram range?
    Yep. You and cutthroat are correct. Mavic lists the 717 Disk rim at 395g.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Hope Hubs/717s

Hi I got Hope XC hubs with Mavic 717, converted to stans. Nice set up, cheaper alternative to King. Impressed with the tolerences and fit of the hubs in the dropouts, I recommend.
    CN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Hi I got Hope XC hubs with Mavic 717, converted to stans. Nice set up, cheaper alternative to King. Impressed with the tolerences and fit of the hubs in the dropouts, I recommend.
    CN
    I just got some Hope Pro IIs laced to 717s - very light. In the nieghborhood of XMSLs at a fraction of the cost.

banned
    But don't forget that the XM's are better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    But don't forget that the XM's are better
    Of course. If price and performance are in direct relationship to one another, they're the best, hands down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for your input people. Camb bike say the 317, disc is 395gs, oops!, my mistake. Yes ,cutthroat , I will pass on the rotor adapts and take center lock as my bride in this case. Is C lock no good? Thanks for the input on the hopes too, yet another of life's tough decisions! Whatever happens I'll be happy and will put up a shot of the results.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    Of course. If price and performance are in direct relationship to one another, they're the best, hands down.
    100% correct. And they've only gotten more and more expensive!

More expense=more gooder. It's the mtb way

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What are xm's??

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As soon as I hit send I got it. I will now hit myself. In what way ( in your experience ) are they better?

banned
    XM's are Crossmax's.

I was joking about them being the best. As I hear, the hubs are crap and the moment you have a problem with the wheels, expect to wait for forever and have a large bill for the priveledge. There is better, lighter, and cheaper out there. Not proprietary, to boot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes , I have read more bad than I have heard good about those wheels. I am going to keep my distance from them. I rode a pair for 50 miles and they rolled real nice, I guess I was lucky to make it that far.