mtbr member

Life of a snowbird (lots of pics)

Man, I could get used to the Arizona sunshine! I left behind two feet of snow and 10F last week in upstate New York and got on a plane to Phoenix for "work". Well, the conference I went to is 4 days long, so I figured I needed to get at least 5 days of riding on top of that

So after a couple of e-mails to dirtbag the plans were all set for a weekend of riding in Phoenix. I arrived at 12pm and at 2pm I was gearing up at South Mountain after a stop at Cactus Bike to pick up the bike.

The climb up National to the Buena Vista lookout was a rude awakening. Not a long climb but very sustained, technical uphill battle. I was riding a Giant Reign and it did the job both up and down.

dirtbag:

tisser:

.downhillfaster.:

I didn't realize until I saw the Geronimo video on Sunday night that I had just ridden with an MTBR super-moderator, otherwise I would have definitely asked for an autograph!

Saturday I met tisser, dirtbag, AZmntcycler, and a fourth rider (I am sorry, I donít remember his name). We rode at McDowell Mountain Park on the same day as the Quad Bypass. Luckily for me, our plan only involved a Double Bypass (Windgate and Bell passes), but the riding was stellar in a very green Sonoran desert. Climb, climb, climb Ö..

Azmtncycler:

One of the riders on the Quad Bypass:

dirtbag:

In the afternoon I went back to Cactus Bike to swap the Giant Reign for a Reign X for the following day. The bike had a Marzocchi 55R which barely got 120mm of travel before the rebound cartridge hydrolocked. After one of the guys at Cactus Bike swapped the cartridge with a brand new one from a Reign X on the stands, same thing ... 120mm of travel. Bummer ...

Anyway, I decided to go try out the bike and get used to it on my own. There were still a few hours of daylight and my legs felt refreshed after one of the best burritos I have ever had and off I went back to South Mountain for a romp up Mormon to the pass and then back down National.

Finally, on Sunday morning I met tisser, dirtbag, Azmtncycler, Brian, and .downhillfaster. at South Mountain for a rip down Geronimo (youíve all seen the video). Of course, first you have to climb to the top Ö so up National we went (pictures above are in fact from this ride). At the end of Geronimo there is an interesting switchback with severe consequences for screw-ups that got me stumped. Here are Brian, dirtbag, and tisser showing how itís done.

Brian:

tisser:

dirtbag:

Now I am in Sedona. I have been busy with work at a swanky resort North of town but managed to get out for a short ride on some red dirt today. Iíll start hitting more trails tomorrow, if any of you are around and want to hook up for a ride let me know. Hangover is on the plate for Saturday, it should be a good time!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Good stuff man!
    You gonna check out "Hangover" in Sedona?

Good to see the pic of TiSS'ers bike with the camera mounted, I was wondering how he got that angle on video.

Thanks for the sun fix, it's 35f in Seattle with sleet/rain in the forecast.

Lay off the Levers
    Kickarse views and shots mang!
    I love the look of those trails.

Hey is Dirtbag sporting a woodie? On his Highline I mean...
    and speaking of "packages" what the heck is tiss slingin?

My fav shot:
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Good stuff man. I'm sooo jealous. Dirt Bag and tiSS'er are great hosts.

Speaking of what Brandon's slinging......Are you talking about the AVY remote resevoir hose clamped to his down tube or the camera bag on his chest strap?
    Last edited by KRob; 01-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Good stuff man!
    You gonna check out "Hangover" in Sedona?

Good to see the pic of TiSS'ers bike with the camera mounted, I was wondering how he got that angle on video.

Thanks for the sun fix, it's 35f in Seattle with sleet/rain in the forecast.
    Yes, I'll ride Hangover on Saturday. Bike 'n Bean was very tight lipped about it, but yesterday I met a local rider and we made plans to ride it together. I am looking forward to it!

It was actually pretty funny. The resort I am staying at for work has all these planned activities and I noticed they had a MTB outing. I figured it would super-lame but it would give me a chance to meat someone local (the tour guide) and get my butt on a saddle for a couple of hours. It turns out I was the only person on the tour and so we ended up having a great time on the fast trails in Dry Creek North of town. Super buff, fast singletrack is always a blast!.

I'm more of a dog person
    SOMO is awesome fun. I was there in Oct. '07 and as I was finishing up I met Tisser at the trailhead on his green RFX. didn't get to ride with those guys though as my plans didn't permit it. I will def be back there in the near future to hit some of the trails I missed
    (including Sedona).

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hey is Dirtbag sporting a woodie?
    All eight-and-a-half inches of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Sanchez
    So RJ, what's the word on that AVY? Are you running the 8.75 X 2.75? If so, doesn't that yield 8 inches? Is the Avy head over heals better than the DHX it replaced?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Outcast
    Take it any way you want to; I think Dirtbag has a drop dead sexy woodie.
    I would love to take a few runs at that last switchback on Geronimo. I assume it's pretty steep?

mr. wonderful
    No, it's 8.5x2.5 and It's leagues better than the DHX, at least I think so. It has a much more damped feel than the DHX and not as much of a platform feel. It feels like it's pushing more oil. It has a very similar feel to the Chubie I had on the Six Pack, and as big of a difference on the Highline as the Chubie on the 6P. I also went down to a 450# spring from the 500 I had on the DHX (per Craig's recommendation).

I'm also really liking the Totem Coil (over an 06 RC2X). Very stiff and pure butter. I haven't played with it much because it felt so good right out of the box, but I tried taking one click out of the high speed compression for my run down Geronimo Sunday and, boy howdy, was that nice. Anyway, I really like the combo of the Woodie with the Totem. They really seem to complement each other well, at least for my riding on high and slow speed chunk.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Take it any way you want to; I think Dirtbag has a drop dead sexy woodie.
    Thanks for noticing

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I would love to take a few runs at that last switchback on Geronimo. I assume it's pretty steep?
    It's not so much steep (other than the step) as it is tricky. If you miss the line, even slightly, your wheel is going to hook, and then it gets steep, like a 40' cliff penalty for failure, REAL fast. Let's just say I feel safer riding it than spoting it

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    It's not so much steep (other than the step) as it is tricky. If you miss the line, even slightly, your wheel is going to hook, and then it gets steep, like a 40' cliff penalty for failure, REAL fast. Let's just say I feel safer riding it than spoting it
    No joke. I can't stand to want AZMC do that switchback.. Everytime he rolls over, his rear tire gets light and I feel the surge of adrenaline. Riding it is no biggie on the HL.

Yes, the AVY isleagues better than the DHX. It doesn't feel as "plush" to me in the parking lot test, but hot damn, on the trail it so sweet. Smooth is the word.

As for the fork, well, I think the video says everything
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    As for the fork, well, I think the video says everything
    .dhf.!!. . . since you won't say it, I will

it looks flexy