mtbr member

let me revise my opinion about OROs...

After the race (absolute mud for 50 kms) the whole thing was sticky and squealing like mad.

Dropped it at the LBS (best buddy) who tells me the piece of crap is falling apart. Won't go into too much detail but basically i must go for a new brakeset....

IO know some of you are biased but I feel like the right move for me (mostly trail but only freeride in the alps over the summer) is to go with the M4s.

M4s with aviation option and floating discs 180/180 or 180/160.

Any input is appreciated and Tscheez, no I won't go with the maguras... sorry mate.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Could you please tell what exactly was the problem and how it occurred as I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of ORO's and this got me thinking over. I know of the problems Formula had with their older models but weren't the ORO's supposed to be new an' improved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maped
    Could you please tell what exactly was the problem and how it occurred as I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of ORO's and this got me thinking over. I know of the problems Formula had with their older models but weren't the ORO's supposed to be new an' improved.

I've got to go but will be back in about 2 or 3 hours.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Oh no, I have a pair of Oro┬┤s on order...what exactly is the problem with them?

Later
    RaD

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

These are the problems with ORO:

Quote Originally Posted by Maped
    Early version of ORO had a problem with the lever returning very slowly when wet. I reported this problem early this year, and after a few months the problem was identified to the master piston, and new pistons were made available to current users. New brakes have this already installed.

Organic pads very poor in wet conditions. The pads have very little power when wet, and wear out in a few hours of wet riding. I'm testing new metal prototypes right now, and will report back to Formula about the performance after a few more rides. (I live in Oslo, Norway. An autumn ride will tell you everything you need to know about wet performance of any component.)

Wavy discs with organic pads. The wavy discs wear the organic pads very quickly, and also cause uneven/vibrating braking, particularly in mud. Again, I'm testing new prototype pads that so far have been perfect in the wet. No vibration.

If you want OROs, don't be afraid to get them. With new pads, they'll be the most powerful and hassle free brake you've ever owned.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Early version of ORO had a problem with the lever returning very slowly when wet. I reported this problem early this year, and after a few months the problem was identified to the master piston, and new pistons were made available to current users. New brakes have this already installed.

Organic pads very poor in wet conditions. The pads have very little power when wet, and wear out in a few hours of wet riding. I'm testing new metal prototypes right now, and will report back to Formula about the performance after a few more rides. (I live in Oslo, Norway. An autumn ride will tell you everything you need to know about wet performance of any component.)

Wavy discs with organic pads. The wavy discs wear the organic pads very quickly, and also cause uneven/vibrating braking, particularly in mud. Again, I'm testing new prototype pads that so far have been perfect in the wet. No vibration.

If you want OROs, don't be afraid to get them. With new pads, they'll be the most powerful and hassle free brake you've ever owned.

Ole.

That sums it up prettywell:
    exactly what happened to me, everything was perfect and trouble free before the race
    But now he whole thing is stuck.

IO'm not saying they're POS but simply turned to crap in wet coditions all of a sudden.

OLE can you buy master piston retail?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Ok,since I ordered the 06 model K18 I should not be worried.Thank you,Ole.

BTW,what kind of pads do you use?Aftermarket pads or is Formula coming out with semi/sinter/metalic whatever pads?

Later
    RaD

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not buy, get for free

Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    That sums it up prettywell:
    exactly what happened to me, everything was perfect and trouble free before the race
    But now he whole thing is stuck.

IO'm not saying they're POS but simply turned to crap in wet coditions all of a sudden.

OLE can you buy master piston retail?

Formula should supply these to your dealer for free.

Ole.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Metallic I believe

Quote Originally Posted by RaD
    Ok,since I ordered the 06 model K18 I should not be worried.Thank you,Ole.

BTW,what kind of pads do you use?Aftermarket pads or is Formula coming out with semi/sinter/metalic whatever pads?

Later
    RaD
    Formula is coming out with what I believe to be metallic pads. I just need to give them a few more rides.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Formula should supply these to your dealer for free.

Ole.
    Thanks, man.

Ride on.