mtbr member

Larry @ Mountain High?

So...apparently I've been away for a long time. I bought my last bike, a 2005 Turner 5-Spot (horst!) from Larry Mettler at Mountain High Cyclery in May '05. I'm looking to build a new ride, so I tried to surf over to Larry's website, and it seems to be gone. I can't find any mention of his shop on the internet. Huh?

So, is Larry out of business? If so, who is the go-to small shop to purchase a frame? Larry was a good guy. I'll be sad to hear that he's out of the bike biz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Redstone is still in bidness.

Redstone Cyclery
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Didn't he vanish/go bust taking lots of customers money for unfulfilled orders with him?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Outcast
    Yes he did. Screwed quite a few good customers. The reasons why are not public knowledge. People are funny/strange.

mtbr member
    If you have a shop near you, they can order direct from Turner for you. That's the way I went--Michigan doesn't have a Turner dealer/rep, but they were happy to send one to my favorite LBS! And my LBS was pretty happy to have the business and chance to check out a Burner firsthand...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Larry @ Mountain High?

Chad at Red Barn is a good guy and well worth dealing with.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Larry @ Mountain High?

I'm surprised you weren't able to find a couple threads about his disappearance:

http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fron...ry-714346.html

Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com is gone!?

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Another vote for Chad!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Another Vote for Chad.

mtbr member

Larry @ Mountain High?

I bought my Highline from Chad, great guy to work with. If he sold Pivot I would have bought my current bike from him too.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Chad and have bought stuff from him. Good guy but I hear you can walk into a bike shop that sells Turner and get their products. I have also heard if you have problem you can go back to the same shop for assistance. Chad had better give some very sweet deals...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like chad is in the antique business.

mtbr member
    Bought my first Turner from Chad in 04 and had the pleasure ever since, top bloke.

mtbr member

more than classic cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Sounds like chad is in the antique business.
    yeah, i've got a fetish for OLD schwinns too ! I cut those roots from the first bike shop i worked in and we'd get these collectors that really wanted to throw a little maintenance towards their investment. So some of the first bike overhauls i ever did were on old New Departure and Bendix coaster brake hubs. Clean, polish, repack with grease and put it back together. And at the same time period.....falling head over heels in love with mountain bikes and suspension. 1990, what a great year.

Now that i have my own shop i'd say we are first and foremost a mountain shop, but i like keeping the old bikes and my roots hanging proudly from the shop rafters.

If you ever get a chance, i'd recommend stopping by to see in person.

I also really appreciate the kind words from the folks above.

Chad

Having a nice day!
    I'll vouch for stopping by and hanging with the Barn crew. Dropped in from Atlanta once and had lots of fun and a cold one or two!

mtbr member
    Thread resurrection. Man, this is a bummer to come across. Very sorry to hear that people lost money here.

Also, sorry to learn that something must have gone wrong for Larry. I bought at least a couple bikes (Turner RFX and Ventana El Capitan) from him as well as endless parts and wheelsets (first 29er "DH/HD" I9 wheelset) over the years. Referred a lot of riding buddies there who were quite pleased. Rode local trails with him and his comrades a few times from the shop. Been to his house - met the Mrs and kiddos.

I hope that peoples' CC companies came through for them or that there was a somewhat positive resolution/recovery for those negatively affected.

I also hope that Larry and his family are doing OK. These stories seem disturbingly commonplace in the cycling industry - a lifestyle business that is not high margin to begin with. We tend to love "good deals" but maybe that is only sustainable for a limited period of time?

Again, sorry to hear folks lost hard earned money here.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought only from Chad and Larry. I miss Larry/mtnhigh, but Chad is like the Rock of Gibralter, so he is my main shop as i get back into mtn biking. I hear good things about Dave at Redstone but as a new customer, his prices are not that great for me. I hope Larry is doing okay. I think it takes time to get back on your feet after a business disaster. I don't know what financial troubles he went through, but he treated me like a friend and taught me a lot about mountain biking. So in summary...call Chad!

mtbr member
    Doesn't look like it's needed, but another vote for Chad.

Working on my Drops
    wow. just getting back into the scene and I remember buying 2-3 wheelsets and a bunch of parts from Larry a long long time ago. that sucks.

Front Range, Colorado
    Yeah Larry at Mountain High went out of business. I drove by his old shop the other day, actually I rode my bike by. The road was closed due to flooding. His old shop is still standing with the sign up and empty like it has been for 3 years. But it was unfortunately flooded, like most of the surroundings here in northern Colorado.

Larry is a good guy who fell on hard times. About ten years ago I met him on this site. We didn't even know eachother. But I learned he lived in the same area I grew up in. And I let him know I was coming out to visit family. He extended himself and offered up a brand new high end loaner bike [free of charge] for me to ride while I was there. Sure enough I met up with him and we had a great ride. I have since moved back to the area and am bummed that he went out of business. I haven't seen him around but have talked to a few that know him. He's still in the area just out of the bike biz.

Jay
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Front Range, Colorado
    I took this photo of his 2 - 3 year abandoned shop right after the Colorado flood's. I'm sure the inside was swamped because the water went up the outside walls at leat 4'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man, I have been there so many times. Bought a few Ventanas, Turners, wheelsets, components. Have not been back since he closed shop, but need to get up there next season and ride Devil's Backbone again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Larry @ Mountain High?

It is really a shame. Larry was a great guy to deal with. Clearly something went wrong and his life went awry. It is unfortunate that with that he took money from people, most of who never got it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Loved his wheels... I still have them running on two bikes (Spot and a Nitrous)

Sorry for those that lost money, after he closed.

Chad has been fantastic... Recommended.

Barry
    Stay off the brakes