ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Kokopelli trail ride

Finished up a ride of the Kokopelli trail this past weekend - Fruita to Moab. Did the trail over three days with a couple of nice side diversions. The Turner did great in the widely varied terrain - everything from bottomless sandpits to rocky singletrack descents - it was all good!

Here are a couple of pics
    -Eric

The bike in Yellow Jacket Canyon

Rider from group dropping into Yellow Jacket Canyon

View from Fisher Valley campsite

Descending Rose Hill

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Wow man that's awesome. I was in moab recently and rode just a bit of the kokopelli. The next day we drove hwy128 which goes by fisher towers, I am guessing this paralells the kokopelli trail (?)

Do you mind me asking- what kind of milage & vert were involved in a typical day?

LIVESTRONG

Sweet ride!

This might belong in the Regional thread, but anyways...

My wife and I are interested in trying the Kokopelli Trail - probably next year as it will be getting too hot now - so any advice provided (as suggested by the questions above) would be great! For example, how much water did you take? Are there streams / sources to filter water from?

This year we are looking into the Telluride - Moab hut to hut experience.

Thanks!
    Dean

ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    The next day we drove hwy128 which goes by fisher towers, I am guessing this paralells the kokopelli trail (?)
    Yup, the trail parallels 128 for a while, eventually crossing over it.

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Do you mind me asking- what kind of milage & vert were involved in a typical day?
    I did the trip as part of a group out of Boulder that shuttled our camping gear to a designated campsite each night and cooked us food, kind of lazy of us, but made the riding more fun.

The milage varied roughly 50 miles day one, 56 miles day two and 44 miles on the third day. Day three had the big climb out of Fisher Valley to Moab that was a gain of 2,500' then a sharp drop and another 2,000' climb. Overall I'm not sure what the total gain is, but here's an elevation profile of the overall trail.

To put this in perspective the Kokopelli Trail Race was held last weekend - the winner did the race in 13+ hours, on a singlespeed - yikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What? You walked Rose Hill? ;-) That has to be the nastiest stretch of "trail" I've ever been on. Your picture barely begins to show how steep/rocky/ledgy/sharp/loose/ugly that is. While there are probalbly some people (not me) that can ride it, it's not a place where you want to join the clavicle club.

Glad to hear that the Spot did the job on Koko's. My 5-Spot frame came in this week. I know I'm gonna love it on my usual rides, but I've been wondering how it would be on a ride like Kokopelli's Trail. Thanks for answering that nagging question, ewl!