Yayer!

King Steelset on RFX

Anybody running a Chris King Steel Set on their RFX? I have an '06 and was going to order one up at work today but am not 100% if it will fit the headtube considering the reinforcement inside. Tried to call Turner today but it appears as though with Presidents Day they are out riding their bikes while I'm sitting at work with 10 feet of snow on the ground. Thanks in advance.
    Broken ankles = ********!

mtbr member
    You will probably have to reem out the RFX headtube so the steel set wil fit. I bought one for a Stinky I had a while back and Kona did not recomend doing that. The steel set has a deep insert.

not so super...
    fits fine - no reaming needed
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i guess you have an older rfx,i looked it up and it had a taper headtube(1.5-1.125), how much travel is on yours. A king steelset imo is a heavy bike part even though it really doesn't add a whole lot of weight,a bit of overkill, i doubt a regular king wil break before the frame or fork goes,but with it's long lip it might actually distribute the stresses a bit better,it might be a good thing. Do you have any problems with reg kings in frames you've had in the past,ever break a headtube?

Yayer!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    i guess you have an older rfx,i looked it up and it had a taper headtube(1.5-1.125), how much travel is on yours. A king steelset imo is a heavy bike part even though it really doesn't add a whole lot of weight,a bit of overkill, i doubt a regular king wil break before the frame or fork goes,but with it's long lip it might actually distribute the stresses a bit better,it might be a good thing. Do you have any problems with reg kings in frames you've had in the past,ever break a headtube?
    I haven't had any problems in the past with any of the King headsets that I have installed on my rigs. The reason I want the 1'' longer cup skirts of the Steelset is because of the extra stress that is involved with a long travel fork. I am running a Fox Talas 36 up front that will probably be run in the 140ish range most of the time. Sounds like I will be OK to run one. Yes the steelset is nearly twice the weight of a regular King headset, but I think it'll be worth the investment.

Yayer!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    fits fine - no reaming needed
    Excellent, this is what I was hoping for.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CoalesceKid
    Anybody running a Chris King Steel Set on their RFX? I have an '06 and was going to order one up at work today but am not 100% if it will fit the headtube considering the reinforcement inside. Tried to call Turner today but it appears as though with Presidents Day they are out riding their bikes while I'm sitting at work with 10 feet of snow on the ground. Thanks in advance.
    Dear god why? It's expensive, heavy, and kinda lousy since it still doesn't use a compression-ring. The RFX is designed pretty well and I haven't heard of anyone ovalizing the headtube. See the above thread on the CC110, but also know that it's widely documented that CK headsets are poorly designed, the steelset has much larger cups obviously and may not see the above problem as much, but in that sense it's a poor solution for the problem. CK doesn't really make the best headsets for long-travel applications. They are kind of stuck back in 1995.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And there's no way the steerer isn't going to move a bit, and as strong as steel is, movement is bad. Get something that is secure (has a compression ring). The RFX headtube is well designed. CK says that they make the steelset because they see more ovalized headtubes in long travel applications. Maybe they see more ovalized headtubes because the damn CK headsets allow the steerer to wobble back and forth. That would surely cause ovalization after a while, just like a loose bolt at a pivot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Yayer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannedolero ™
    +1, but my opinion will prolly get deleted. They are a ***** to remove too!

110 rule
    Why would your opinion get deleted? A 110 could very well be the headset I buy....hence me asking the questions and not just posting a picture of the new Steelset I just pressed into my frame....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CoalesceKid
    Why would your opinion get deleted? A 110 could very well be the headset I buy....hence me asking the questions and not just posting a picture of the new Steelset I just pressed into my frame....
    For any long axle-to-crown application (29er, long-travel 26er) the CK is fundamentally flawed.

Yayer!
    Don't take this the wrong way but....what did the quote have to do with your comment, I'm honestly confused. Really, not saying that to be a dick. So....110 is the way to go considering my setup?

I will tell you right now though, the Chris King bottom bracket is as good as bought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    For any long axle-to-crown application (29er, long-travel 26er) the CK is fundamentally flawed.
    I have to agree with Jayem. I can't put any spacers between the stem and a CK headset or I'll have horrible looseness and creaking with a Fox 36 fork. Even without spacers, the steer tube of my Fox 36 has been scored noticeably after using a CK headset for two years. I have switched the upper cup to a 110, we'll see if the compression ring design works as well as advertised.

Yayer!
    cool, thanks for the ideas. probably a 110 then for me...now what f'ing color! ha

Yayer!
    ....ended up getting a 110. As it turns out I managed to get a free one at Quality Bicycle Products Frostbike last week.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I have to agree with Jayem. I can't put any spacers between the stem and a CK headset or I'll have horrible looseness and creaking with a Fox 36 fork. Even without spacers, the steer tube of my Fox 36 has been scored noticeably after using a CK headset for two years. I have switched the upper cup to a 110, we'll see if the compression ring design works as well as advertised.
    I had some creaking with the 110 headset. After many attempts are resolution, I put a slight film of grease between each interlock spacer. Haven't had any creaks since.

CK anything + long travel forks = no no. CK uses a rubber o-ring (silly) in place of a compression ring to keep things tight. While it works well on road bikes, rigid bikes and short travel forks; the torsional forces of long travel single crowns are too much for a rubber o-ring to handle. It help if you replace it often, but you can't get rid of that CK scoring mark on the steerer tube by the upper race.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    And there's no way the steerer isn't going to move a bit, and as strong as steel is, movement is bad. Get something that is secure (has a compression ring). The RFX headtube is well designed. CK says that they make the steelset because they see more ovalized headtubes in long travel applications. Maybe they see more ovalized headtubes because the damn CK headsets allow the steerer to wobble back and forth. That would surely cause ovalization after a while, just like a loose bolt at a pivot.
    What is a quality head set for a rfx running a 160 travel fork? I always blindly ran a ck thinking they were the best but after reading this post I absolutely have just enough slop to annoy the hell out of me are the syncros any good?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    What is a quality head set for a rfx running a 160 travel fork? I always blindly ran a ck thinking they were the best but after reading this post I absolutely have just enough slop to annoy the hell out of me are the syncros any good?
    Ah I see cc= cane creek...Jesus what I have been living uder a rock or what So thats the best huh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I had some creaking with the 110 headset. After many attempts are resolution, I put a slight film of grease between each interlock spacer. Haven't had any creaks since.
    Nice trick! I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    Ah I see cc= cane creek...Jesus what I have been living uder a rock or what So thats the best huh?

there are a lot of quality headsets that use a compression ring. cc makes a few and hopes are nice. fsa also uses a compression ring. there are people who will jump up and down and defend the king headset that they've had for 10 years and they are good, on a rigid fork or short travel xc machine. i've got both hope and a cc 110 and i'm happy with both. the steelset is overkill and an install only product. they are a b!tch to remove. you'll be happy with the 110. the king bb will be good and their hubs are nice as well.