Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Kinda battling my RP3. Ideas?

First, after getting my RP3 back from Fox due to the dreaded lock down. I have not had a problem. However, it seems like I can't tune it to work well on my Spot. It is either too hard and won't give full travel or it it too soft and sags too much. It is a delicate balance.

I wonder if Push could make this an easier shock to tune. Have you found this to be the case on your bike?

Jaybo

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    First, after getting my RP3 back from Fox due to the dreaded lock down. I have not had a problem. However, it seems like I can't tune it to work well on my Spot. It is either too hard and won't give full travel or it it too soft and sags too much. It is a delicate balance.

I wonder if Push could make this an easier shock to tune. Have you found this to be the case on your bike?

Jaybo
    Well I weigh 205lbs and on my Flux I was running 270psi and it was still too squishy and I could bottom it out on XC trails. I am trying a Progressive 5th ellement air next.

Amphibious Technologies

Jaybo
    Yes and yes. I would send it to PUSH, it'll make your RP3 work much better.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thats why I swapped it out

Exactly the problems I had with mine from stock on my spot.

Being a coil fan, I swapped it out for a pushed vanilla R. The difference in performance was dramatically improved.

I had an 05 RP3. I hear the '06s are much improved, but I wouldn't know about that.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I weigh 192 and I only have to run 160-170 on my RP3 (on a X-5).
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Yes, get it Push'd. My stock RP3 rode like crap compared to the Romic. I had the RP3 Push'd and it was vastly better. I did send it back again to them to revalve with an even faster rebound and I've now done back to back testing on the RP3 vs. Romic. The RP3 is now more plush in the small stuff and can handle the speed much better. The Romic is a bit faster in the multiple big hits at speed, however I think most of this is due to the extra weight in the back for the Romic. The lighter RP3 will tend to bounce off of the bigger chop at speed slightly more than the Romic.

The Spot is so much livelier, though, with the lighter RP3 and particularly now that it's Push'd. It was worth every penny.

mtbr member

Get it Pushed

I have a 05 Spot - with 05 RP3 - which I had Pushed. Great improvement over the stock shock. I run it fully plush at about 190 psi for my 200lb weight. Its expensive but really helps. I have never had rebound issues though.

Bad Case of the Mondays

Jaybo
    I've found that my RP3 (an 06 model) has a sweet spot of about 5psi. When I get too little, my 575 feels mushy. Too much and it gets firm over small stuff and doesn't use all the travel.

And having said all that, I am planning to get mine PUSH'd pretty soon to get the 3 platform settings tuned more to my liking.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I've found that my RP3 (an 06 model) has a sweet spot of about 5psi. When I get too little, my 575 feels mushy. Too much and it gets firm over small stuff and doesn't use all the travel.

And having said all that, I am planning to get mine PUSH'd pretty soon to get the 3 platform settings tuned more to my liking.
    I wish somebody could find my 5 pound sweet spot for me. I built up my '06 Flux last weekend, and am trying to dial in my RP3. Unfortunately, the last suspension I tuned was almost ten years ago, a 1997 Judy SL. Suspension has come a long way and my knowledge is very far behind. I'm about 160 to 165 when I'm all geared up for a long ride.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I just got an '06 RP3 for my spot. I'm about 185-190 lbs and I have it set at 160 psi. I didn't get full travel the first couple of rides but I do now. It might take a few rides to break it in (??). I'll prolly increase it to 165-170 psi for the next ride because the o-ring was at the very end of the shaft during last night's ride and we didn't go over any particularly big stuff. The rebound seems to be good, maybe a tad slow at full fast. I have it set at 1-2 clicks from full fast. I'll keep riding it stock until it needs servicing, then it'll go to PUSH for the upgrade mods.

Even a stock RP3 is a great upgrade from the Romic IMHO. The pro-pedal settings work great and now I don't have that 'squat' during the climbs that I had with the Romic. The front end tracks better (front wheel stays down) during climbs with the RP3 too.
    MCM# 2007.1

No, that's not phonetic
    Roy, we just got my RP3 Pushed for Barny. I explained that basically all we wanted done to the shock was to get the rebound sped way up since she is only 130# and we will be running very low pressures for her. It came back with a very sluggish rebound range. Even full-fast is much slower than the stock DHX Air she had ridden before that. Darren explained some of the particulars concerning the RP3 oil volume, shimming, and such making parking lot evaluation (by me, when setting up) difficult, but Barny feels the shock is "hard" (not plush, when on the trail) and I wonder if this is because it packs down.

We will give it a few weeks break-in and go from there. Just wondering how you ended up deciding to get it rePushed to address the rebound. I could ride the shock but since I weigh much more than she does, it would likely not tell me anything about what she is experiencing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Do It Yourself
    I agree the RP3 isn't everything it could be. The "-" setting is mushy without be any more plush, the middle is where it seems to balance the best, and the "+" is too firm for even the fireroad chatter.

The other issue is the links. I have the older 5.1 links and you probably do as well. The newer 5.3" links are supposed to increase the leverage a bit so that you can get full travel with an air shock like the RP3. New links are $90 with trade-in from Turner.

I would send the RP3 to PUSH in a heartbeat but Darren said to hold off for a bit pending further developments in the near future.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    The other issue is the links. I have the older 5.1 links and you probably do as well. The newer 5.3" links are supposed to increase the leverage a bit so that you can get full travel with an air shock like the RP3. New links are $90 with trade-in from Turner.

I would send the RP3 to PUSH in a heartbeat but Darren said to hold off for a bit pending further developments in the near future.
    I am potponing it as well waiting what will happen.

What does the trade in consist of? you send in the old ones and get the new rockers?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Roy, we just got my RP3 Pushed for Barny. I explained that basically all we wanted done to the shock was to get the rebound sped way up since she is only 130# and we will be running very low pressures for her. It came back with a very sluggish rebound range. Even full-fast is much slower than the stock DHX Air she had ridden before that. Darren explained some of the particulars concerning the RP3 oil volume, shimming, and such making parking lot evaluation (by me, when setting up) difficult, but Barny feels the shock is "hard" (not plush, when on the trail) and I wonder if this is because it packs down.

We will give it a few weeks break-in and go from there. Just wondering how you ended up deciding to get it rePushed to address the rebound. I could ride the shock but since I weigh much more than she does, it would likely not tell me anything about what she is experiencing.
    My experience on the Burner's Pushed RP3 was similar. When it came back in January I set it up with my prior air pressure - 165psi for a 180lb rider. Just sitting on it in the shop it literally felt like it was packed with Vaseline - "hard", slow, and nowhere near as plush as the stock model I was used to. Darren tuned it for plush trail riding over XC with the preference towards plush in all settings. After one ride I called Darren to figure out where I was going wrong. Right off the bat he advised dropping the pressure by 10lbs to 155psi. This made a dramatic difference in feel. I'm still tweaking it, and the cold weather affects the overall performance, but that one change made a huge difference. The PP lever settings are more pronounced and I am now running the rebound wide open. It's been neglected on the last few rides due to the new Spot in the house, but it will be going to Moab in April for the kids' spring break, and I expect that once it's truly dialed in and broken in it will have been worth it.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Now with flavor!!
    Any of you guys not happy with your RP3s want to sell it to me?

What's the eye to eye on a 5 spot?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

~~~~~~~~
    tscheezy, want to trade for a bit? Jewels has a '06 med-PP RP3 and has yet to push the o-ring more than 15-20mm from the end of the shaft. She's a good air shock tuner too. Kind of bummed we didn't realize there was PP options, would have been nice to get the light PP. Did you switch rockers with barney? Jewels is running the shorties.

woo- 7.5 x 2

asked about the rocker swap before, never heard anything back...

Roy
    mtbr member
    Darren explained some of the particulars concerning the RP3 oil volume, shimming, and such making parking lot evaluation (by me, when setting up) difficult, but Barny feels the shock is "hard" (not plush, when on the trail) and I wonder if this is because it packs down.

TS - a couple of things, all my experience fwiw:

- the stock RP3 is waaayyy overdamped on both the compression and rebound. It's due to the stock configuration not allowing enough oil flow (in either direction). So what happened was at slow speed technical riding, the shock was fine. At fast speed non-technical riding the shock was fine. At any kind of speed (and the faster I went the worse it got), the shock could not compress fast enough, nor rebound fast enough to keep up with the rougher terrain. This is the harshness Barny is referring to. The Spot ended up riding like a hardtail the faster I went and the rear just pretty much bounced off of hits instead of absorbing them.

My fear for Barney's RP3 is by requesting no change in the compression settings, you might not have received the newer piston and increased oil flow that you would need for a faster rebound. I'm guessing the 2 are linked. But also, because the compression is so overdamped, even if you had the rebound sped up, the stock RP3 probably can't compress fast enough for Barney. I know it did this for me.

- For my riding style, I usually run my shocks at as fast, or almost as fast, a rebound as the shock can go. With the 6-Pack DHX being the exception as that will just pogo all over the place but I think it's due to the amount of travel and the leverage of the Pack, not something about the DHX.
    Anyways, running the rebound that fast is great for the technical stuff I ride but on woop-do-woops, the shock will tend to have an "ejection seat" behavior on the bike. That's ok as I'm used to it and can deal with it. So when I ride some of the woop-do-woops here, and I get the "ejection" behavior, I know the shock is fast. The stock RP3 never even came close to an ejection seat feel. When I first got the Push shock back, I had just put on a bunch of miles with the original Romic. I rode the Push'd RP3 and it performed very close to the Romic in everything. In the woop-de-woops, I did get the "ejection" behavior but it wasn't as strong as the Romic and that was with the RP3 at full fast on the rebound. What I wanted was a shock that at full fast would be "too fast" so that I could then dial it back in some and have a useable range to work with, instead of having a limit that I couldn't go past (in terms of rebound speed) but would like to sometimes.

Another simple test is just the "bounce up and down on the suspension while riding in the driveway" routine. It's easy to get the feel of the rebound speed at full open and then stick another shock on there and feel how fast it is. I did this between the Romic and RP3 as well.

I remember how, when you first got your RP3 (on your Spot) and you described it as a Krispy Kreme laced with heroin, etc... That is now how the Push'd RP3 feels for me on my Spot. It balances exceedingly well with the AM1 I have in the front and I'm very pleased with the final results. I really disliked the stock RP3 ('05).

I would recommend having Darren revalve the compression for Barney, for her weight, and for an aggressive trail rider. I think she will prefer this much more than the stock performance. You can then just fine tune from there.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    What does the trade in consist of? you send in the old ones and get the new rockers?
    Old Rockers + $90 = New Rockers
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Barny feels the shock is "hard" (not plush, when on the trail
    How does she think it compares to stock? As for the rebound speed, the bleed can be esaily be sped up by adding a 0.02" shim to the piston bolt if you'd like.

Darren

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    After one ride I called Darren to figure out where I was going wrong. Right off the bat he advised dropping the pressure by 10lbs to 155psi. This made a dramatic difference in feel.
    This is a avenue we have not had enough time to pursue, but I have the RP3 set up with a good 30% sag now. Much more sag than that it gets squatty and the handling goes south since she is running the Pike at 135mm travel and likes to climb with the MC damper closed down which keeps the fork running high.

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    tscheezy, want to trade for a bit? Jewels has a '06 med-PP RP3 and has yet to push the o-ring more than 15-20mm from the end of the shaft. She's a good air shock tuner too. Kind of bummed we didn't realize there was PP options, would have been nice to get the light PP. Did you switch rockers with barney? Jewels is running the shorties.
    I am all about shock swapping anyway, so we can do something down the road for sure. I can also send along a DHX Air if she/you want to play with one of those. It has actually worked very well for her so far and she loves the plush ride AND gets full travel. I even started turning the BO knob in a bit for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    My fear for Barney's RP3 is by requesting no change in the compression settings, you might not have received the newer piston and increased oil flow that you would need for a faster rebound. I'm guessing the 2 are linked. But also, because the compression is so overdamped, even if you had the rebound sped up, the stock RP3 probably can't compress fast enough for Barney.

For my riding style, I usually run my shocks at as fast, or almost as fast, a rebound as the shock can go.... What I wanted was a shock that at full fast would be "too fast" so that I could then dial it back in some and have a useable range to work with, instead of having a limit that I couldn't go past (in terms of rebound speed) but would like to sometimes.
    YES! This is my big pet peeve with a lot of shocks. You are stuck waaaaay out at the end of some adjustment range. Full-fast, full-slow, whatever. Painted into a corner, there are no tuning options left. I want to be able to go PAST the sweet spot, so that I can actually identify where that sweet spot is. With my RP3, I had to run it full fast on the 5-Spot. That was ok, but not optimal. On the 6-Pack I actually had to add 3 clicks of rebound. That made me happy. It was based on that experience that I sent the shock to Darren before putting it on the BarnyMobile.

Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    How does she think it compares to stock? As for the rebound speed, the bleed can be esaily be sped up by adding a 0.02" shim to the piston bolt if you'd like.
    That's just it, she never rode it stock because I knew it would be like taffy at the spring pressure she needed. I ran if full-fast for my 180# self on the Spot as it was. We will run it for a while and see how it goes, maybe even let Jewels have a couple of weeks on it for a second opinion. I rode the shock a lot before sending it off in order to have the ride characteristics fresh in my mind for when it got back from you guys to be able to do a comparison. Well, by now it's been long enough I can't remember much about it.

It is still very hard with the winter conditions to get a handle on what's going on, and I want to be able to break it in, play with the air pressure, and do a few rides where we take the DHX Air along and swap back and forth to let Barny come to a more detailed conclusion than it feels "hard." (Gitcher mind out of the gutter. ) I actually just wanted to see what Roy's thought process was when I posted earlier, and I can see we are on the same page.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-07-2006 at 02:01 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Oh, I can see Skullcrack is reading this. He went through the DHX Air/Pushed RP3 thing with CBHarping. Maybe he will chime in...

Bodhisattva
    YES! This is my big pet peeve with a lot of shocks. You are stuck waaaaay out at the end of some adjustment range. Full-fast, full-slow, whatever. Painted into a corner, there are no tuning options left. I want to be able to go PAST the sweet spot, so that I can actually identify where that sweet spot is.
    How about a new damping system that allows you to do this?
    Damping Infinite ClicKs.......or DICK for short
    Life....the original terminal illness

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Jewels has a '06 med-PP RP3 and has yet to push the o-ring more than 15-20mm from the end of the shaft. She's a good air shock tuner too. Kind of bummed we didn't realize there was PP options, would have been nice to get the light PP. Did you switch rockers with barney? Jewels is running the shorties.
    Interesting. cbHarping is having the same issue with her PUSH'd RP3. We've been dropping the pressure 5psi at a time, the sag is now around 33%, and still the o-ring is 15-20mm from the bottom of the shaft at the end of our rides. She has the longer rockers on her Spot and her RP3 is the med-PP version, although I don't know how much that matters once PUSH does their service.

She first tried the DHX-a but could never get the rebound fast enough.

No, that's not phonetic
    I just set Barny's Pushed RP3 at the rebound mid-point click (of the 9 available) and I could pretty much dash out for a bite to eat in the time it takes to re-extend.

I also noticed she is about 15-20mm from bottoming judging from the o-ring after the last ride, but she can't "throw down" like normal ( ) right now due to the trail conditions, so that does not mean much. About 30% sag w/ 5.3 rockers.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    How about a new damping system that allows you to do this?
    Damping Infinite ClicKs.......or DICK for short
    So that would eliminate your DICK being too hard or too fast? The knob would have to be bright blue. and come with a warning label - if your DICK feels too hard for more than 5 hours - see your doctor.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast