mtbr member
    Jun 2004

KHS XC904r vs TURNER BURNER

Hi,
    I want to change from Hardtail to Full Suspension bike, I try to make a selection between the KHS XC904r and the TURNER BURNER and I have some questions:
    -Are this bikes too heavy for a woman?
    -Which one is better and why?

I'm a woman cross country rider with only 1 year of experience.
    My actually bike set up is:
    Airborne Lucky Strike (Titanium hardtail)
    Marzocchi SL
    XTR Crankset
    XTR Shifters
    XTR Front and rear Derailleurs
    Mavic Rims
    WTB Litespeed hubs.
    Avid mechanical disc brakes

Please help me to make a selection
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Since you already have a lightweight Titanium bike, i would consider a 5-Spot. Becuase it is so much fun to ride...but i suppose it depends where and how you mostly ride.

KHS who???

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hi Lambone

I will sell the Airborne frame to buy the TURNER frame or the complete Airborne bike to buy the KHS. I want a Full Suspension bike because is more comfortable than the hardtail. The 5Spot is too much for me I'm not aggressive XC rider

You can see the XCKHS 904r at: http://www.khsbicycles.com/04xc904r.html

Thanks.

Excuse me for my english my natural language is spanish

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmelon
    Hi,
    I want to change from Hardtail to Full Suspension bike, I try to make a selection between the KHS XC904r and the TURNER BURNER and I have some questions:
    -Are this bikes too heavy for a woman?
    -Which one is better and why?

I'm a woman cross country rider with only 1 year of experience.
    My actually bike set up is:
    ...drool drool drool...
    For a 1 year's experience you sure have a vet's taste in components, and frames!

If you prefer a shorter travel FS bike, you'll find the Burner quite a fun ride. Check into the women's forum to get some feedback and suggestions. Also get with Kpicha, she rides a XCE which is very close to the Burner. It's not too heavy at all. But it depends on what kind of riding you're looking to do and if you anticipate expanding your requirements over time.

If you need a good source for the frame and want the best support check with Larry (Ventanarama) at Mountian High Cyclery...he's working on getting some at that new super blowout price.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I will sell the Airborne frame to buy the TURNER frame or the complete Airborne bike to buy the KHS. I want a Full Suspension bike because is more comfortable than the hardtail. The 5Spot is too much for me I'm not aggressive XC rider

You can see the XCKHS 904r at: http://www.khsbicycles.com/04xc904r.html

Thanks.

Excuse me for my english my natural language is spanish
    The Burner will outperform and outlast the KHS hands down. My first duallie was a 4" KHS horst link that I loved, however it didn't perform 1/2 as good as the XCE. The Burner will feel like you are getting more travel than the KHS and it will be stiffer. I like KHS bikes for their price-points, but for equal money they aren't in the same league as the boutique bike builders.
    You can grow into the the Burner; you will quickly outgrow the KHS.

One other thing, there should be the Paul rocker arms available shortly that you could get for a full 4" of travel on the Burner.

Motion activated
    Hi,
    How tall are you? What size was your last bike, and how well did it fit. What (fit wise) would like to change in your current ride?

mtbr member
    Oh, ok...yeah get the Burner. Supergo.com was selling them for 900 something, they may still have some.

I don't know the KHS bikes, but the Turner is the best bike I have ever ridden, the Horst link suspension works perfectly, no "bob."

Have fun!

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Larry at Mountain High has a couple of Burners and may also be ordering some more.

I urge anyone looking for the deal at Supergo to talk to Larry first. His deal is VERY GOOD and you'll also get his great service. You have to speak directly to him for the detail because I might not be able to say anything.

http://mtnhighcyclery.com/mhc5.htm
    I spoke with Larry a couple of days ago. He's working on having a limited few at a very competative price. Check with him. and if you're unfamilliar with MHC just look at Ventanarama's posts and you'll see he's a stand-up guy and provides top-shelf personal service.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

... I guess you won't be
    I have owned a burner, and currently have a 5-spot. My girlfriend however, is really into Titus'. She is currently on her second, a titanium framed Racer-X [small]. Titus really gears their smaller bikes to fit women - one of the first bike companies to actually go after that market with any thought. Her latest bike has a little tweak to the stock geometry to run an 80mm fork. The burner is an awesome bike, you will no doubt not regret buying, but you should also check out a Racer-X.

For my cash, I would pass on the khs - there is no substitute for the origional Burner.