mtbr member

Kabush's Nitrous

My question might be just retarded but here it goes...

I was wondering why Kabush has an inverted Taco on his Nitrous when the reg. one doesn't. Not that he is that tall, I believe he is 6"1'.

Or is it common on L frames? because the one pictured on DT website is taco free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr Bling; 03-24-2006 at 06:48 AM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member

It helps him carry the bike on his shoulder?...(?)

I don't know

Just wanted an excuse to post the real Mr Bling

-he even has a cool blue helmet!
    :-)

mtbr member
    very cool indeed!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I think he's taller, probably just a reinforcement to help stiffen the frame at that size, look at how tall the frame is and he still has a bunch of post showing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I read in MTB Review that due to his size and the waif like build of the Nitrous Kabush’s frame has a few subtle differences to production models.

Look at the top tube for instance, it’s much thicker than the norm because it actually uses the same tubing as the down tube.

banned
    I'm surprised to see Kabush's components pick isn't much out of the ordinary to a high mid level build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

old frame

That is a custom XL that only Geoff gets. He is 6'2" and 165 lbs. The picture is of the 05 race bike, his 06 frames were shipped a couple weeks ago to Maxxis. They are a differernt color, and polished of course.

The top tube is a down tube and the seat tube is stock, just super long. He don't need the standover clearance so I put the TT where it is and gusset under the TT. All tubing is stock except for the TT. All geometry is stock.

DT

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for the clarification DT.

Baked Alaskan
    I can't believe people can ride with tires like that. Of course I have seen what XC race courses look like, so I can understand.

Could you imagine having a race where everyone was lining up with an RFX, 36, 2.5's and so on because of the drops, rocks and gnarly technical setions. That's what would make MTB races fun IMHO.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member

I agree Chris

I know we are going off topic here, but you have agreat point. What is the deal with XC racing. The courses are so boring. It seems like they haev diverted in difficulty over the years. And then you have short track...........enogh said.

Its a real shame because these guys and girls are amazing cyclists with tons of skill. There are really no courses to showcase these talents. Also the bike technology has come so far, you think they would make a course to use it. Look at DH courses now compared to 5, 8, 10 years ago.

I think this is why Super D is appealing to alot of folks, and why XC racing has really gone nowhere in the last ten years

What are your thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    here is another XL taccoed nitrous as shot in Livigno. It's not readable on the photo but I am pretty shure its kabush's. will check original on my image- disc later...
    again these fast tires... when plugged with mud - it must be similair to ride a snowbike
    Last edited by ritzelflitzer; 03-24-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Silence and Thunder...

New question here.

I want to know about the alien/predator dreadlock veggie thing hanging behind the number plate... what is that???
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hmm...another noteworthy tidbit is that in the pic that ritzelflitzer posted, Geoff is running a 100mm fork as opposed to the 80mm that the Nitrous is designed around. I mean yeah, it is only 20mm difference, but we are talking about one of the fastest pro mtb'ers in North America. I am guessing he is fairly nitpicky about his geometry.

So, do you think he has two separate frames, one built for the 80mm Sid he uses, another for a 100mm Fox? Or do you think he just likes the way the Nitrous with the 100mm fork handles? Either way, it makes me want to put a 100mm fork on my Nitrous and see what happens...hmmm...the skareb is pretty flexy anyways...might as well replace it with something a little sturdier.

One thing I am curious about is Geoff's switch from Sram x.0 to Shimano XTR??? Anybody else notice his usage of XTR at the Commonwealth Games? He was running full XTR on his new TNT Nitrous! What happened to the Sram? I didn't think any sponsors changed, but who knows??

DOH! I just noticed that DT said the geometry on Geoff's Nitrous was same as stock. So, that means Geoff must just like the feel of the 100mm fork on the standard Nitrous. Hmm..something to try...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I read somewhere that his SID is a modified one with 90mm travel.. anyone saw that article as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Geoff

His geometry is stock, and the slighty longer fork gives him the geometry he wants. I have offered custom geometry the last 2 years and he likes the bike with his setup.

Those tires work really well on more terrain than one would imagine. I have a set for my Flux and it is amazing what you can get away with. They have so much contact with the ground that traction comes from smear more than sharp edges. They are not for everyone or every place, but I really like them. They also have a pretty big volume and that always helps.

Does anyone have a shot of Geoffs ride from the Commonwealth Games?

DT

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    His geometry is stock, and the slighty longer fork gives him the geometry he wants. I have offered custom geometry the last 2 years and he likes the bike with his setup.

Those tires work really well on more terrain than one would imagine. I have a set for my Flux and it is amazing what you can get away with. They have so much contact with the ground that traction comes from smear more than sharp edges. They are not for everyone or every place, but I really like them. They also have a pretty big volume and that always helps.

Does anyone have a shot of Geoffs ride from the Commonwealth Games?

DT
    Pic of Kabush.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...n_mtb/_DSC0078

Also in the past I used to run Michelin Sprint semi-slicks in SoCal and as you said it's amazing what these tires are capable of in the proper conditions.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had the 80mm fork on my nitrous and swicthed to 100mm and like it alot better. It steers more precise and it handles alot better downhill. Climbing I really cant tell the differents. I am pretty aggresive rider so it works for me. At the races I am seeing alot of nitrous setup this way.
    ED

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    DT -

Here is a pic showing his handlebar setup:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...n_mtb/_DSC0101