Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Just saw the new Ventana lineup

the new LaBruja or El Terremot 6.0 are absolutely sick. The design is same as TNT
    I do like my 5 Spot a lot, and haven't had it that long really, only since last Thanksgiving
    I am still dialing it in actually!

anyhoo, the geomery of the 6.0 is very sweet and the bb height is perfect. the LaBruja is too much bike for most of the stuff around SW Idaho.......

mtbr member
    And if DT doesn't come up with a hardtail frame real quick I'm gonna have to buy that El Torro!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    the new LaBruja or El Terremot 6.0 are absolutely sick. The design is same as TNT
    I do like my 5 Spot a lot, and haven't had it that long really, only since last Thanksgiving
    I am still dialing it in actually!

anyhoo, the geomery of the 6.0 is very sweet and the bb height is perfect. the LaBruja is too much bike for most of the stuff around SW Idaho.......
    no doubt...the Terremoto was my first choice for sure and had I predicted I would of course blow the budget RFX concept, I would have just got it to begin with. The RFX will be fine so I aint terribly upset but still....

Squeaky Buttcrack is getting one.....El Beastro has one ordered as well so they will look very cute holding hands on the doubletrack with matching bikes.

Seriously though, the geometry is great, 1.5" headtube is nice option and if you dont like the geo, you can always go custom which really sets ventana apart. Enough of the sales for Ventana....i forgot where i was for a second.

Living the Dream

Yeah the Terremotto has great geometry

That bike is really tempting me. I would have to pay extra to get it in electric blue metallic unless I saw a picture of a built up super dust that looked OK. The bike just looks so burly and has a great TT lenght, BB height, & HA.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Roy
    mtbr member
    I like it because it has the classic front triangle. I don't care for the aesthetics of the X-5/La Bruja style triangles.

Living the Dream

Agree

The X5 & new La Bruja are hideous. To be honest, I prefer the Turners in looks, I just love the El T's geometry.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Captain Underpants

I Second That . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    And if DT doesn't come up with a hardtail frame real quick I'm gonna have to buy that El Torro!
    I'd buy a Turner HT in a second . . . . it could be made out of moldy balsa wood, for all I care.

Just as long as it kept the TNT susp.

Bodhisattva
    Full suspension Ventanas are cool because Fo doesn't have one but wants one
    Life....the original terminal illness

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Full suspension Ventanas are cool because Fo doesn't have one but wants one
    anybody want a never used RFX? Only miles on it are those of the FedEx truck delivering it as I type this.

mtbr member
    The new Terra is super sick, we're gonna build up one to try as a demo.
    The geo's there and it's got Ventana quality, but unfortunately it also has the Ventana pivot location. Betcha 100 pushups the RFX rides better. Nothin like climbing on a bike with a pivot BELOW the freakin granny ring!!! The Venty in the 22 feels like the RFX in the 32. It may be OK on a 4" bike with yer body position all foreward but on a 6" bike with a coil shock forgetaboutit. Better get a solid platform shock if you wanna do 30 mile rides unless you're just out to bang berms...or look pretty.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    May 2004
    so you're saying the pivot positions on the Ventana's lend to bobbing? I am surprised; Sherwood knows what he's doing. hmmm

my buddy mentioned to me last night that others found something about the Ventana's riding different, (as compared to the Turners) and not in a good way........hmmm

I highly respect both builders quality for sure tho

mtbr member
    Well, when your chainforce is significantly above the pivot you're gonna get some bobbing.

My new RFX for example is actually a hint firm in the granny(feels good), a little soft in the middle(feels good)

The Venty is a hair soft in the granny(feels good), and pretty soft in the middle(feels OK but noticeable, bugs me)

Sherwood doesn't want to move the pivot up because
    1He would have to machine new yokes that would have to be narrower/offset to clear the f der.
    2 His customers don't complain about it.

Throw a TNT turner in the big ring and hammer it around.That's how a Ventana feels in the middle. If it feels good to you then.... it feels good to you!
    Giant STP

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    The geo's there and it's got Ventana quality, but unfortunately it also has the Ventana pivot location. Betcha 100 pushups the RFX rides better. Nothin like climbing on a bike with a pivot BELOW the freakin granny ring!!! The Venty in the 22 feels like the RFX in the 32. It may be OK on a 4" bike with yer body position all foreward but on a 6" bike with a coil shock forgetaboutit. Better get a solid platform shock if you wanna do 30 mile rides unless you're just out to bang berms...or look pretty.
    interesting observation......

have you found this to be the case "in general" with bikes having main pivots in that same location or only Ventana?

I wish I had a side by side pic of the main pivot location.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    interesting observation......

have you found this to be the case "in general" with bikes having main pivots in that same location or only Ventana?

I wish I had a side by side pic of the main pivot location.
    Yes, mostly.

You gotta add up 3 things-
    pivot location
    bb height
    initial plushness.

Ventanas are generally low,plush and all have low pivots.The short rockers are radically progressive which means really soft initially. The lower the BB the more foreward the axle path will be.

most of the 100+ bikes with the "bb pivot" put the pivot in line with a 22. Ventys are one of the only ones that are actually below.

I had a Titis Locomoto that had a pivot in line with the granny and back a bit. But the BB was 14plus and was falling rate. It was fine in the middle-eccept it was never plush feeling and generally sucked.

I hate to dog Ventys because i have huge respect for Sherwoods work and my Cuervo was mind blowing but if enough people are vocal about this then maybe he will listen.Then we're all in trouble!! Yummmmm...SuperDust....!!!
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well I do have to say I like another vote and reason to love my Spot.

beer is good
    I don't know....that bb looks a bit low at 13.8" for a 6 inch bike?
    wonder what fork they used?
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling

Second that--what a sweet frame!

Jan 2004
    Yes, mostly.

You gotta add up 3 things-
    pivot location
    bb height
    initial plushness.

Ventanas are generally low,plush and all have low pivots.The short rockers are radically progressive which means really soft initially. The lower the BB the more foreward the axle path will be.

most of the 100+ bikes with the "bb pivot" put the pivot in line with a 22. Ventys are one of the only ones that are actually below.

I had a Titis Locomoto that had a pivot in line with the granny and back a bit. But the BB was 14plus and was falling rate. It was fine in the middle-eccept it was never plush feeling and generally sucked.

I hate to dog Ventys because i have huge respect for Sherwoods work and my Cuervo was mind blowing but if enough people are vocal about this then maybe he will listen.Then we're all in trouble!! Yummmmm...SuperDust....!!!
    you are entitled to your opinion of course but the stiffness of the ventana is amazing in my humble opinion. certainly pivot location may contribute, though i have no data on file. no bike is best in all regards but at least to date, Ventana gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Did I hear you right? ...vote for ventana, ride a turner?

-Sp

you are entitled to your opinion of course but the stiffness of the ventana is amazing in my humble opinion. certainly pivot location may contribute, though i have no data on file. no bike is best in all regards but at least to date, Ventana gets my vote.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    Did I hear you right? ...vote for ventana, ride a turner?

-Sp
    indeed....."to date", a Ventana for sure. In fairness, I have not yet received my Turner (today).

the problem for me is gonna be to even remember what a FS feels like. it has been well over a year since i rode a FS bike. good news is many of my friends (including the one i sold my X5 to) have Ventanas so I can perhaps switch back and forth on rides. Though I really need to grow some balls back to push the bike and honestly, ANY FS bike is gonna feel like a sofa on wheels to me right now, Turner, Ventana, or otherwise.

and for the record, i also own a ventana

long standing member
    and for the record, i also own a ventana
    Only one? Oh, so you're off the back with that crowd, too...

Seriously, when you get this baby you need to post up lots of pics, as if you need to be prodded.
    Plus, a honest ride report. You had a semi-heavyweight X-5 in the past, I'm curious as to how they compare (and I'm sure others are too).

As far as the color scheme, I think even CF would have to admit that you've out-blinged him in that regard...even though yours is a budget build.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Only one? Oh, so you're off the back with that crowd, too...

Seriously, when you get this baby you need to post up lots of pics, as if you need to be prodded.
    Plus, a honest ride report. You had a semi-heavyweight X-5 in the past, I'm curious as to how they compare (and I'm sure others are too).

As far as the color scheme, I think even CF would have to admit that you've out-blinged him in that regard...even though yours is a budget build.
    will do, though like I said, will be REAL tough for a while to have any good input being so long off a FS bike and will be really long before i grow even something resembling huevos back to do anything but curb drops

Yeah, I had a 6" travel 33 lb bike so sort of close to the build i am getting.

Will definitely post pics later....bike is due to arrive at 4:30! I hope my wife is home to sign for it though

Bodhisattva
    Which pivot are you referring to? The seatstay?

I can only go by pictures since the T-Moto isn't released yet. Looks like the main BB pivot is roughly the same height on both the T-Moto & RFX. The chainstay pivot on the T-Moto looks to be a bit lower than the RFX but it's hard to really say. The rockers are obviously quite different.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    WTF, I can't believe nobody has posted a graph or pie chart of pivot locations and pedaling forces, yet!

Since it's Friday, maybe a few hot babes could be a part of the graphic?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Jan 2004
    perv!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast