Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

Just about ready to join the Homer team... couple quick q's on my build.

Finally demo'd a Flux and loved it and am ready to make the leap to ownership. I do have a couple quick questions though.

You CANNOT run a SRAM X.0 rear derailluer with XTR shifters due to the 2:1/1:1 ratio difference, right?

SRAM triggers only have the thumb/thumb shifting action, right? The Shimano's I'm used to have thumb/index finger levers for shifting. Wasn't a big fan of the thumb/thumb style. Just seemed awkward.

I've read the reviews on the Race Face Deus X and it seems 50/50 on them. I currently have Next Lp's on my bike and like then but it seems It might be better to wait on a new release from RF... ???

Thanks Homers. Can't wait until I'm officially one.

Bodhisattva
    Congrats on the Flux.

You CANNOT run a SRAM X.0 rear derailluer with XTR shifters due to the 2:1/1:1 ratio difference, right?
    Correct. Any of the "X" series SRAM RDs are compatible with SRAM 1:1 triggers only.

I've read the reviews on the Race Face Deus X and it seems 50/50 on them. I currently have Next Lp's on my bike and like then but it seems It might be better to wait on a new release from RF... ???
    Dues is a good crankset. Reasonably priced & good weight. They were released last year so don't hold your breath on a new release from RF. No problem using Next LP's if you're not sold on external bottom brackets.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    SRAM triggers only have the thumb/thumb shifting action, right? The Shimano's I'm used to have thumb/index finger levers for shifting. Wasn't a big fan of the thumb/thumb style. Just seemed awkward.

Don't discard Sram too quickly, if only because of the index finger shift. I felt a bit like that recently when I upgraded to sram, and honestly, after a few rides, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. My experience is that sram is alot crisper and lighter shifting than XT (have never used xtr) and you can grab a handfull more gears with one dab when exiting corners. I also noticed a better grip on the bars, due to my index finger no longer hovering near the down shift. I actually started building up my old i-drive frame last night for my wife (I'm a new 6 pack owner ) and the XT shifters now felt awkward to me.

just my $0.02

good luck with the Flux.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

Driveline

Hmmm so that leaves me with the eternal question... SRAM or Shimano.. I'll have to sleep on it.

Thanks for confirming you can't mix.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Leight
    Don't discard Sram too quickly, if only because of the index finger shift. I felt a bit like that recently when I upgraded to sram, and honestly, after a few rides, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. .
    Word. I have sram X.9 on my turner and shimano XT on my XC bike... hands down i prefer the SRAM x.9. It does take a few rides to adjust to thumbs only. Way less maintenance, and the sram stuff actually works when it's caked with mud. I'm just waiting for the XT to break and then I will be fully SRAM.

mtbr member

Sram/rf

I faced the same decisions building my 5 spot.

Absolutely no issues with the Deus crankset. I also went from Shimano triggers/XTR RD to SRAM triggers/X9 RD. I still prefer the ergonomics of Shimano but the shifting is crisper with SRAM. I call it a toss-up.

Fun decisions to have to make huh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The SRAM thumb/thumb 9 speed system shifts as well as the old Shimano 8 speed XTR trigger system, and much, much better and crisper than Shimano's 9 speed system (triggers or wiggly brake lever system). The more positive detents really rock, especially if you're inclined to full-finger gloves.

Thumb/thumb takes less than one ride to get used to. I had to borrow a bike with that setup, and was dialed within the first hour.

Have fun with the new toy, and remember that all this advice is not free. Pix and ride reports will be expected after you get a few rides under your belt!

Kosmo

(still hoarding 4 eight-speed xtr cassettes to get me through the next two years, but ready to go SRAM when it becomes necessary!)

Silence and Thunder...
    The 'hot' setup (??)
    SRAM: shifters, rear derailleur
    XT: front der, cassette
    Chain brand??

The Sram front derailleur is a pain, where as the XT just plain works.
    I 've heard that there were some shifting issues w/ the Sram cassettes, so I went w/ an XT which works fine.
    I too prefer the ergonomics of the old XT shifters, but the Sram stuff works better. I would just as soon run a full Sram drivetrain, but until they re-design the front der and I'm convinced that thier cassettes are up to snuff...

This has been my recent experience, but maybe some of the more "well versed" homers can provide more info, confirm or deny my findings...???

*I'm interested in the findings as well, as I'll be building up a Flux soon too...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Sold on SRAM

I've had my SRAM equiped Flux for a little ove a month now and love it . X9 shifters , X Gen front , XO rear ,970 casette and 990 chain I went with a Shimano XT crank set because I ran it on my old bike and could not find anything I disliked about it.
    Shifting has XT beat hands down and the thumb thumb after about ten seconds just comes natural.The only thing I can say bad is the XGen is a bit hefty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running Atlas AM cranks, the BB is the same as the Deus, with X9 shifters-I'd like to try X.0 if I could find some, X.0 rear and Xgen front mech, with XT cassette and SRAM PC69 chain or whatever the newer version is this works very well indeed.

No issues with BB wear or shifting quality and this is in the wet and muddy UK which really tests durability through the winter months. My X.0 rear mech is nearly 2 years old and despite banging off rocks, and the odd 'pilot error' ground contact issues is still straight with no major wear on the jockey wheels either. I don't know how well the newer carbon cages would hold up to my lack of finesse, oh ok then skill but so far so good with X.0 for me. The front mech is not such a big difference to Shimano imo and is a fair bit heavier but it's about half the price of XT and so far is holding up well but either will work fine.

My wifes NRS, same size frame as my Pack, is fitted with Shimano XT triggers/cassette, XTR mechs, and a SRAM chain, so it's a bit strange to switch between the two systems as my thumbs and fingers get a bit confused for the first few miles but I find I can still ride with either. Although I prefer SRAM as it seems to shift consistantly with less tweaking and is much, much better in muddy conditions.

The SRAM thumb shift is much more intuative once you've adjusted to it and makes it much easier to shift and brake at the same time while still holding the bars.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

not so super...
    I'll say it again - you'll get used to the thumb shifting on the SRAM quickly.

No issues with the Deus on my 6 Pack....yes I said 6 Pack, so they should hold up just fine for use on a Flux.
    Nothing to see here.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Word. I have sram X.9 on my turner and shimano XT on my XC bike... hands down i prefer the SRAM x.9. It does take a few rides to adjust to thumbs only. Way less maintenance, and the sram stuff actually works when it's caked with mud. I'm just waiting for the XT to break and then I will be fully SRAM.

Ditto ditto ditto for me.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Knee abuse

One thing that I've noticed about these X.0 shifters, is that I occasionally bang into them with my knees. And, let me say that the edges on these things are F'n sharp! I've got nice little divots in my knees as proof.

This never occured when I ran gripshift.

I must have banged the right hand shifter pretty hard, when I pulled it apart last weekend, the bolt that holds the assembly to the bar clamp was bent.

It may have something to do with being 8 feet tall and really lanky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 10-25-2005 at 08:14 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

8 feet?

I'm 6'3". What are you at? You running an XL frame right?

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I have a truly Shimano free bike (or at least I had one, traded in for X-5 on the way) and a Deus crank. I like both very well.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    I'm 6'3". What are you at? You running an XL frame right?

That would be an XL, yes. I'm 8'1".
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    One thing that I've noticed about these X.0 shifters, is that I occasionally bang into them with my knees. And, let me say that the edges on these things are F'n sharp! I've got nice little divots in my knees as proof.

This never occured when I ran gripshift.

I must have banged the right hand shifter pretty hard, when I pulled it apart last weekend, the bolt that holds the assembly to the bar clamp was bent.

It may have something to do with being 8 feet tall and really lanky.
    So Steve is that one of the new Noble Canyon Turner 5-Pack Prototype rigs your running?

i want spring!

Sramino

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    So Steve is that one of the new Noble Canyon Turner 5-Pack Prototype rigs your running?

ima running X.0 twist on da left and xtr trigger on da right.

DB
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bert
    ima running X.0 twist on da left and xtr trigger on da right.

DB
    must have taken you a while to get used to it.. left brain,right brain conflict..

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I will be the odd man out here and say that I prefer the Shimano Trigger Shifters to the X-7 SRAM shifters. However, I continue to run the SRAM stuff on the Turner because 1) it shifts and functions better on a full suspension bike than Shimano 9 speed, and 2) the other Homers won't play with me if I go back to the big S.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

... I guess you won't be
    xtr derailleurs are crap - only if you want to run an XT 11-34 cassette! save the cash and go xt.....

I kinda like the sram push push triggers.....when the supply of aftermarket XT trigger pods finally dries up, I'll get some sram triggers....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies