Expert Crasher

Jenny Craig'n the Sultan

4th of July sales are good, as is sensible portion control. It seems the whole of the bike aftermarket had some thing for sale - what did you get this 4th of July season (minus sunburn, hungover and indigestion from Aunt Mae's not so fresh potato salad)?

Mine - all necessities, which presented itself an opportunity to drop a solid pound of bike weight without any sacrafice in durability or sensibility.

First up - pedals.
    I like Times, have two pairs of the Aliums, big honkin chunks of aluminum that are indestructible. Unfortunately, one left pedal has a bearing going out and one spring on the right (other pair) is loose from numerous rock/root encounters. So, mix good left pedal with good right on the commuter - and pick up discounted Time ATAC XS from Pricepoint. Net savings approx 86-100 grams.

Old

New (khaki to boot, should match the bronze Sultan paint quite well, since that matters)

Next up - grips. I'm making a bar change on my commuter from an inverted Titec H-bar to a Salsa Moto Ace 17 deg flatbar. Still too much pressure on my ulnar nerve with the H-bar. Since my commuter is also a steel SS frame, I want the bar end integrated Ergon GC2's I have on the Sultan for my commuter. 315 gram boat anchors that are extremely comfortable. On the Sultan will go the new Ergon GX1 Leichtbau's - same Ergon comfort, much lighter. Net savings 187-190 grams.

Old - going to commuter

New GX1 Leichtbau grips

Last upgrade - saddle. Love/hate relationship with my Fizik Nisene Gel CP. Comfy at the start, but past 3 hours, I suffer. Long search, much reading on the fitness boards, more internet sleuthery seeking factual data. In the end, I went to a Specy dealer and measured with their butt-o-meter (Specy Phenom was a finalist) and then to a Trek dealer for their butt-o-meter measuring - which by the way is much better than Specialized's system - ended up with a 154mm Bontrager InForm R. My Nisene was 130ish w/ the padding spanning 110, yet my sitbones were well over 140mm apart. I opted for the R over the RL b/c of padding, the R felt more dense and was a tad heavier, felt more durable IMO too. RL for weight weenies, R for long term comfort with us 200+ lb riders. Net weight savings 100-120 grams. My old bottle cage was starting to chew up my bottles so I added a Bontrager Race Lite cage, my only gucci light weight nod, this thing weighs in a 41g.

I figure eventually I'll get it down around 28-29 lbs. It sits right at 30 w/ current configuration. My Juicy 7s work fine, no reason to change them yet. I'll be all over the new Reba this fall, that'll drop a pound from my current fork. I could go with a carbon bar, however, my Salsa Pro Moto 11 deg flatbar just plain works. I don't need rise, I've got just a small saddle/grip drop, perfect for my riding style. No need to change hubs/wheels - they work just fine too (Hope Pro2/Flows). I like the Ardent and my Dry X out back - I'm no slave to uber-light rubber.

That is all - throw up your 4th of July shopping victories - if you care.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

TLL
    mtbr member

America--Open For Business!

Pretty mundane purchases for me, not nearly exciting as yours.

Smith Axis glasses
    Dakine Nomad
    Fox Launch leg armor. This was a total find. I have been looking for some decent hardshell armor but it is difficult to gauge sizing on the Internet; Esp since I have Huuuuge legs. Walked into my local shop looking for a full face helmet, (no go) so ended up trying on armor instead. They had one pair in my size. Fit like a dream. Should hold me over 'till I buy my Roach stuff.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Single Malt

New Reba thru axle??

You mentioned this fall? I have a new Sultan frame in the waiting. I can't wait any more!! Any more info. would be great!!
    ~~Cheers!!! PMF~~

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Pretty mundane purchases for me, not nearly exciting as yours.

Smith Axis glasses
    Dakine Nomad
    Fox Launch leg armor. This was a total find. I have been looking for some decent hardshell armor but it is difficult to gauge sizing on the Internet; Esp since I have Huuuuge legs. Walked into my local shop looking for a full face helmet, (no go) so ended up trying on armor instead. They had one pair in my size. Fit like a dream. Should hold me over 'till I buy my Roach stuff.
    There is more - but not Sultan related. For my Monocog Flight - $11 got some Forte Gotham 700x35 kevlar lined commuter tires (with www.Panaracer.com molded into the side despite the Forte hotpatch - they appear to be re-branded Panaracer Crosstowns http://www.panaracer.com/products/ur...crosstown.html. My Monocog Flight, with these tires at 60psi - scary fast urban mosheen Still need a rear rack, some lights and I'm contemplating fenders - but that's boring utilitarian stuff.
    Last edited by GreenLightGo; 07-06-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Picked up some grips(ODI Ruffian MX w/ the waffle grip at the fingertips)

a new saddle(WTB Silverado Team)

a new bashguard(I prefer the looks, durability, & price of the Shimano Saint bashguard)

a chainguide(Blackspire Stinger)

That's about it, they were all things that I had been wanting/needing and I got a great deal on everything. I also used the scale at the shop and weighed my RFX and was pleasantly surprised. With a DHX-C & EX823's it was at 32.76lbs.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81
    I also used the scale at the shop and weighed my RFX and was pleasantly surprised. With a DHX-C & EX823's it was at 32.76lbs.
    Mine weighs 32.5 with an RP23. I'd say you have a pretty light RFX.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    There is more - but not Sultan related. For my Monocog Flight - $11 got some Forte Gotham 700x35 kevlar lined commuter tires (with www.Panaracer.com molded into the side despite the Forte hotpatch - they appear to be re-branded Panaracer Crosstowns
    sweet, you should be able to really sail with those things.
    Lastly, just picked up a Giro Remedy for the unheard of price of $57 at Sierra Trading post. I had a 15% coup which brought the price down from $67.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Crasher
    That is a great price on the Giro. I like Giro myself, ride a copper colored XEN through the woods but lacked a commuter helment - Performance had these Giro Transfer helmets on sale as well - $19.99. Will save wear and tear on my XEN padding.

TLL
    mtbr member
    That is a great price on the Giro. I like Giro myself, ride a copper colored XEN through the woods but lacked a commuter helment - Performance had these Giro Transfer helmets on sale as well - $19.99. Will save wear and tear on my XEN padding.

Now that is a sweet deal!

jrm
    mtbr member

A..

4th of July sales are good, as is sensible portion control. It seems the whole of the bike aftermarket had some thing for sale - what did you get this 4th of July season (minus sunburn, hungover and indigestion from Aunt Mae's not so fresh potato salad)?

Mine - all necessities, which presented itself an opportunity to drop a solid pound of bike weight without any sacrafice in durability or sensibility.

First up - pedals.
    I like Times, have two pairs of the Aliums, big honkin chunks of aluminum that are indestructible. Unfortunately, one left pedal has a bearing going out and one spring on the right (other pair) is loose from numerous rock/root encounters. So, mix good left pedal with good right on the commuter - and pick up discounted Time ATAC XS from Pricepoint. Net savings approx 86-100 grams.

Old

New (khaki to boot, should match the bronze Sultan paint quite well, since that matters)

Next up - grips. I'm making a bar change on my commuter from an inverted Titec H-bar to a Salsa Moto Ace 17 deg flatbar. Still too much pressure on my ulnar nerve with the H-bar. Since my commuter is also a steel SS frame, I want the bar end integrated Ergon GC2's I have on the Sultan for my commuter. 315 gram boat anchors that are extremely comfortable. On the Sultan will go the new Ergon GX1 Leichtbau's - same Ergon comfort, much lighter. Net savings 187-190 grams.

Old - going to commuter

New GX1 Leichtbau grips

Last upgrade - saddle. Love/hate relationship with my Fizik Nisene Gel CP. Comfy at the start, but past 3 hours, I suffer. Long search, much reading on the fitness boards, more internet sleuthery seeking factual data. In the end, I went to a Specy dealer and measured with their butt-o-meter (Specy Phenom was a finalist) and then to a Trek dealer for their butt-o-meter measuring - which by the way is much better than Specialized's system - ended up with a 154mm Bontrager InForm R. My Nisene was 130ish w/ the padding spanning 110, yet my sitbones were well over 140mm apart. I opted for the R over the RL b/c of padding, the R felt more dense and was a tad heavier, felt more durable IMO too. RL for weight weenies, R for long term comfort with us 200+ lb riders. Net weight savings 100-120 grams. My old bottle cage was starting to chew up my bottles so I added a Bontrager Race Lite cage, my only gucci light weight nod, this thing weighs in a 41g.

I figure eventually I'll get it down around 28-29 lbs. It sits right at 30 w/ current configuration. My Juicy 7s work fine, no reason to change them yet. I'll be all over the new Reba this fall, that'll drop a pound from my current fork. I could go with a carbon bar, however, my Salsa Pro Moto 11 deg flatbar just plain works. I don't need rise, I've got just a small saddle/grip drop, perfect for my riding style. No need to change hubs/wheels - they work just fine too (Hope Pro2/Flows). I like the Ardent and my Dry X out back - I'm no slave to uber-light rubber.

That is all - throw up your 4th of July shopping victories - if you care.
    A 56cm Gunnar roadie frame and fork...burp..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    A 56cm Gunnar roadie frame and fork...burp..
    nice, better than all the peripherals I got!

TLL - yeah, that price on the Giro Transfer is good. I got one just like it two years ago for my oldest daughter and it was $40 plus on sale. I may have to go get one more since my 11yr old boy's cranium is about ready to outsize his Mongoose hard-shell skid lid.

trail fairy
    If this is what you 29ers use to hold on with Im definitley sticking with a 26er, dam those are ugly, its like a GOREDUKE for grips or something

[SIZE=1]Greenlight all good brotha just taking the piss, sure those upgrades and weight weanie drops will be good for the mighty sultan..chur.[/SIZE]
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    If this is what you 29ers use to hold on with Im definitley sticking with a 26er, dam those are ugly, its like a GOREDUKE for grips or something
    [SIZE=1]Greenlight all good brotha just taking the piss, sure those upgrades and weight weanie drops will be good for the mighty sultan..chur.[/SIZE]
    Big grips and toe clips

Don't think weight weenie, think portion control.

trail fairy
    Big grips and toe clips

Don't think weight weenie, think portion control.

I'm partial to my portions where they are [SIZE=1]r those end caps butt scratchers or bottle cap openers[/SIZE]

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member

put the power in your hands

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Real men rock OURYs, preferably in some ghey color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Real men rock OURYs, preferably in some ghey color.
    I like the title TLL

Now thats GHEY

Real real men rock Oury lock ons and they only come in badd ass black, color grips are for girls or men with man boobs

Now if they had PINK

ps they remind me of ribbed wel ya know what

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Expert Crasher
    I've got a set of the OURY lock-ons at home -they currently reside on my son's bike though - he acquired them this spring in a round of spare parts upgrades to his '06 Spec'y Hardrock Sport Disc.

I liked the OURY's but much prefer the Ergons.