Big Wheel Homer !!

J..r..a...............

Wednesday night SSinGA and I met up for ride. The last couple of rides hadn't gone too well so we thought Wed. would be better. SS and his new camera and was planning on trying some night video. Weather was high 40's after the sun went down and it looked like it was going to be a good night. We were JUST RIDING ALONG, about a mile in, when I heard the that dreaded noise coming from the rear. Grabbed a fist full of brake and stopped, looked back to see the derailleur up in the spokes. Damn it!!!! No problem....just throw on a new hanger and we'll be on the way. Flipped over the Sultan and was digging the hanger out of my pack when I hear SS say "Dude you don't have a drop-out". Damn it!!!!!

Well that ended the ride and we started to walk out. Still not sure what happened, SS said it looked like I hooked the derailleur on a rock, but after stopping I had small root hung up in the derailleur. This was a newly cut section of trail so there was a lot of loose stuff on the trail, so who knows.

We got about half way back to the trailhead and SS's light goes out. What else can go wrong? I guess it was good it happened where it did because we were almost to the start of a ~1 mile down hill run and that would have been a ***** for the light to go out then.

Got back to the car and gave Turner a call and left a message for Gregg to call me. Went home and took the rear end off to send it in for replacement. I also want to send the broken piece but it was so jammed on the derailleur I haven't been able to get it off yet. The way it jammed there is so much pressure on the derailleur bolt that it won't turn. I'm going to have to get it in a vise to see if I can get it loose.

Gregg called me yesterday morning and is sending me new chainstays. Should have them middle of next week and the only charge is the shipping . Just another case of the excellent customer service provided by Turner.

Thanks Gregg (and Dave)

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You're just putting too much torque through that rear mech

rr
    I don't do PC
    Ahhh the dreaded weak link, I recently took an innocent spill on some ice and broke the hanger and the X9 der, the new hangers are better tho.

The X series der's are great performers but they don't holdup too well, I've bent/broken at least 6 of em over the last 3 years, I had a Saint rear der on my RFX and it was bombproof but you can't find a H normal version anymore, I looked before replacing it with another X9.

mtbr member
    I'm glad it worked out for you

I wasn't so lucky. I must not be as important.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=runnin

Getting the hanger back on the dropout takes a while since they don't align very well any more. With all necessary tools in my garage, I can 'manage' to get the hanger back on in 30 minutes by shaving a little here, widening a little there, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug

Got back to the car and gave Turner a call and left a message for Gregg to call me.
    I have to ask - is Turner a speed-dial setting on your phone?

Lay off the Levers
    Got back to the car and gave Turner a call and left a message for Gregg to call me. Went home and took the rear end off to send it in for replacement.
    What, you mean it wasn't waiting on your porch by then? They're slipping.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I have to ask - is Turner a speed-dial setting on your phone?
    It is on SSinGA's.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the man who would be homer of the year returns! how ya doin rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroeder?

pug: good call. when i snapped my hanger in a crash last fall, it left the x-9 der stuck on it too. it was bent to crap and killed but puttin the hanger horz in a vise got the bent bolt free of the ruined hanger. i removed any useable x-9 parts for spares and mounted the used xo i got from a pal days earlier. timing is everything huh?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Expert Crasher
    Doh!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Back in business

mtbr member
    Sweet! Now make some room for V2!

mtbr member

sweet!

Ive yet to have a problem with burner, but everytime I hear one of these great replacememt stories-It reinforces why I ride a Turner. Only the best!
    Too wet to ride!

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Sweet! Now make some room for V2!
    I know...I know...Sean and I were just talking about it. I do have a nice bonus check coming

not so super...
    Wow! That was fast.

Took the light battery into the local Batteries Plus and they are putting in new cells for $40. Should be done Friday.

not so super...
    Maybe a gold ano hanger would help?? Just don't tell Zilla about it.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I know...I know...Sean and I were just talking about it. I do have a nice bonus check coming
    Yay bonus checks!! I have one coming that is contributing to my V2 Sultan.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Well...looks like I'll be calling Greg again tomorrow. SSinga and I were riding Saturday and I'll be damned if it didn't happen again. Small stick in the dérailleur, hanger didn't break, drop out screwed. The drop out didn't break off this time only bent but it's cracked. The hanger screws were stripped out of the hanger when it was bent. Also bent a few I9 spokes this time

I think SS's DW may be putting a curse on me

Moosehead
    CTP, you gotta stop hitting the dropout with an anvil just to get a new V2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you see here in the uk we have dedicated jra sites http://justridingalong.co.uk/ that's bad news on the dropout. as a highline owner i kind of got used to the swapping of the back end but i was lucky in never having broken one. perhaps i'm not trying hard enough.........

Have you started freeriding the Sultan Cruz??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know if this helps in solving your continuing dilemma but...in 20 years of riding I've never bent or broken a derailleur or hanger or dropout. Hope that helps.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I don't know if this helps in solving your continuing dilemma but...in 20 years of riding I've never bent or broken a derailleur or hanger or dropout. Hope that helps.
    Nor had I until I crashed going down Porc Rim and used my spare to mend the bike, then crashed the following Sunday while racing and didn't have a spare

not so super...
    I saw this one happen right in front of me. It was the littlest stick ever. It stuck in the chain, pulled the dérailleur straight up and into the spokes.

Freaky for sure but probably wouldn't have happened to a v2.
    Nothing to see here.