BBW
    mtbr member

Its time for 2 new wheelsets for my DW Spot

I have been using CK/819 for 5 years (have been in 3 bikes) with no issues at all including 4-5 foot drops.. I want CK hubs because of their reliability but not sure about the rim? 819 again or some stans? which and why?

I also want to build a race only wheel but not delicate; I will use it for endurance races... 1400-1500g would be nice; any idea on the rims and spokes??

I weight 170 plus gear and I'm smooth

Thanks for any advise you could share

mtbr member
    ZTR Arch/355 for smooth trailriding (2-3 footers incuded), ZTR Olympics for XC/marathon racing. As for the spokes - DT super comps or DT revolution for racing, DT competition for maximum reliability and great weight/strength ratio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

That's pretty light...

for a set of CK's with any rim and spoke combo, isn't it? I'm running a set of CK's with Stan's olympics and dt swiss rev spokes---just over 1500g. Can't imagine what kind of rim you'd need to get it down to 1400 even..

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Complete wheels:
    DT Tricon. Light, stiff, 9mm/15QR. Good race setup 1550g
    Easton Haven. Same deal, but beefier. Good everyday trail setup 1650g
    DT EX1750. Excellent trail/park/enduro wheels. Too heavy for race day. 1750g
    Industry Nine. Buy the wheel for your needs. Avoid the uber-light rims for your rider weight unless you're ready to replace them alot.

Component wheels:
    King, DT, or Hope hubs. All are good and reliable. All are convertible.
    355's won't hold up, go with Arch or DT XR400 rims for race day.
    Flows or Velocity P35 for the trail wheels.
    Edge always makes a light stiff wheel if your budget will allow...
    DT Supercomps on the trail wheels, DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray on the race wheels.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

Knomer
    I just laced up some I9's to StanFlows and weight for both wheels is 1773g. Impressive for such a wide rim.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    for the non-race wheels, Crossmax SX is another option, bout the same width as the DT 5.1/Stans Flows (all of which are wider than your 819s), UST and ~1750 claimed weight. Also Chainreaction sells factory wheelsets of Hope hubs laced to Stans Flows for around $500. think it weighs in a little over 1800. I have no personal experience with either of these but they were on my list when I was thinking about wheels. I've got DT Swiss 1750s coming on my new ride.

mtbr member
    kings and flows for trail rding
    kings and arches for endurance races - 355 possibly but for solo 24 hr races Iwould worry about the 355 losing tension

mavic really needs to sell a 821 UST rim - that would be the ticket - 819s are pretty bomb proof and I lovbe proper UST - just wish they were a tad wider - but not as heavy as 823s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    mavic really needs to sell a 821 UST rim - that would be the ticket - 819s are pretty bomb proof and I lovbe proper UST - just wish they were a tad wider - but not as heavy as 823s.
    Ditto. I really like the ease & reliability of 819s. Just wished they had a bit wider option.

BBW
    mtbr member
    what would I notice with a wider rim? Flow Vs 819?
    So the 355 wouldn't be reliable? 717 are lighter than Arch for what matters; would they be better?
    thanks guys!

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    what would I notice with a wider rim?
    Wider rim = bigger footprint = better traction = more control = better handling/cornering.

Also less tire roll = fewer pinch flats.

Wider rim makes tubeless setup easier and you have fewer burps.

There is no upside to a skinny rim in mtb other than less weight.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what would I notice with a wider rim? Flow Vs 819?
    So the 355 wouldn't be reliable? 717 are lighter than Arch for what matters; would they be better?
    thanks guys!
    You'll only see much advantage to wider rim if you plan on running a tire much larger than a 2.2-2.3, which is the practical limit for an 819. However, just remember, anyone that needs a tire >2.3 is looking for a crutch...
    Last edited by pdlhrd; 03-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Stray Bullet
    Sun Ringle Chargers or Black Flags? From the makers of Stan's rims.

They aren't available until April so but the front and rear hub swith work with just about anything. 142/12, 135/12, 135/QR, QR, 15mm, 20mm. Could be nice for that weight weenie RFX.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/12/02/...s-final-specs/

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/09/30/...eels-and-more/

mtbr member

?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Wider rim = bigger footprint = better traction = more control = better handling/cornering.
    I'm afraid I don't see what you are saying there. I have one 2.35 UST Nevegals on an 819 and another 2.35 nevegal on an 823. Both measure 60.3mm knob-to-knob at the widest. am I just using the wrong tire?

I agree that the wider rims should reduce chance of rolling tire of bead.

mtbr member
    No, just 2mm is not going to give you a day-night difference in foot print. DB has presented general rule. If you compare Mavic 717(17mm) or 719(19m) with ZTR Flow (23.5mm), the difference is easy to notice even without measuring.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I think I will repeat for the trail set and get again Ck/819.. I mean, I have beaten those things for 5 years and they still have left!!! with NO issue and I don't run larger than 2.3 anyway
    Racing tires on the other hand.... I've read not so good stories about the light rims of stans.... How light could I go and not be worried? if the 355 will be a headache I'll prefer to get something like a XC717 that are reliable and not so heavy..
    Does this sound OK?

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys!

mtbr member
    BBW, both ZTR and Mavic make great products, either you choose, you just cant go wrong. Happy trail !

mtbr member

355's

I have had a set of CK's with Stans ZTR 355's for over a year now. Not jumps, but some pretty extensive XC. The wheelset has had no issue over that year. I weigh 200 lbs, the wheels 1530g. The key is to get a reputable wheel builder - I got mine from Larry at Mt High. Well made and a great price..

mtbr member
    Racing tires on the other hand.... I've read not so good stories about the light rims of stans.... How light could I go and not be worried?
    I'm about your weight, and also have a King/819 wheel set for trail riding duties on my Spot. It's held up admirably, but I might consider switching to Flows if I ever need to replace the rims (they've got four seasons on them now) since I usually end up running sealant anyway. The Flows are obviously a bit wider and lighter, but I also think the ZTR rims do a better job of creating/retaining the seal at the bead.

My race wheel set is King hubs with Olympic rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Very light (1460 grams), and works great tubeless with just the yellow tape. They've actually held up quite well over the three seasons I've used them, but could be stiffer for my tastes. If I were to do it over again I'd probably go with Supercomp spokes, or Edge rims if price was no object.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Kenrow ...I thougt The 355 had a limit of 180 lbs..... I just bougth I9´s with 355 and weigth 175.... is it safe to ride them ?
    same than you .....¨Not jumps, but some pretty extensive XC ¨

mtbr member
    Not aware of any weight limits on the ZTR 355's. Stan's ZTR Podiums race wheelset have a 170 lb limit, but those are down in the low 1200 g range.

mtbr member
    I emailed back and forth with someone at Stans asking about 355 versus Arches for my fat arse - 210 lbs and was told 180 lbs for 355s. He said they would lose their tension quickly if people heavier than tha trode them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How often do you tension them Kenrow ? or is it worst than that ??

mtbr member
    I have been using a set of 355 with CK hubs and DT Aerolite spokes for over a year on the Flux as a race wheelset with no problems, other than needing to retension the spokes properly every few months. Iff I were to do it again, I would go with Supercomp instead of Aerolite, the weight saving is not worth the headache of the bladed spokes. By the way, I weigh 165lbs.

My other wheelset for the Flux is DT 4.1d mounted on DT 240s with double butted spokes. This wheelset has been bombproof going on four years now. Today, I would choose the DT 4.2d rim instead, as it's a bit wider and lighter than the 4.1d.