Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll.

Still really liking the 5-spot. It does so many thing so well. This ride was a high alpine grunt with a fun flowy 3500' descent. Today I climbed up to the top of a local peak and bombed the downhill trail down the backside which is steep, techy, and chunky and it handled that really well too. I've found one thing I don't like about the Spot. There's always enough grease oozing out of the pivots to collect dust and look grungy. Did the last guy over fill when regreasing or is that just the way it is with journal bearings?
    Otherwise.... very few complaints.

X-post from Passion.

Maybe it was because I'd recently watched School of Rock again but this song kept running through my head as I was climbing and climbing and HABing to the top of this ridge. So since I had it stuck in my head.... I thought I'd share it so you could run it as soundtrack to my ride report...... and so you could get it stuck in your head too.

I hadn't been up to this particular bit of high country yet this year so Saturday was the day. The climb starts at around 8800' and tops out over 11,000'. It does it in just under 2.0 miles so not only is the air thin.... it's steep.

DSC00817

NAFAIL.... but there are a couple of less steep sections where I could rest and recover a bit.
    DSC00820e

Still going up.... but I'm getting there. The climb was about 50/50 HAB and riding.
    DSC00822

We have acheived the ridgeline! The view from here is one of my favorites.
    DSC00824

The ridgeline trail itself meanders along with some ups and downs
    DSC00826

DSC00834

DSC00841

This is the turnaround spot for today. With a little more time and a bit of exploring you can hook up to another trail that continues north a ways further... but the descent isn't quite as fun as the one I chose.
    DSC00827

Heading back towards the delicious descent trail.
    DSC00829ec

DSC00843

Getting close to the "Rock and Roll" part of the ride.
    DSC00833c

This is about half-way down... As always, it's hard to stop on the descents for pics.
    Stuff was still pretty darn green for this late in the year. Lots of snow this past winter.
    DSC00845

Waning moon shots.
    DSC00846

DSC00844

More meadows on the down. This is about a 3500' descent all told.
    DSC00849

Lots of deadfall most of which was small and hoppable.... but this one made for a nice camera perch at least.
    DSC00851

Good ride. It felt great to get on some stuff I hadn't ridden yet this summer and was worth the dirt road climb back up to the summit where the ride began.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-25-2011 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Awesome ride report and pictures
    I do wonder also about the grease pouring out all the time, other than that I love my Spot.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Very cool! Looks fun

mtbr member
    Grease coming out = no dirt getting in. Just wipe it away and keep riding. When you notice no more grease is coming out....add more! The pivots on my wifes Highline purge grease like nobodys business, but they are smooth and tight 2+ years later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Grease coming out = no dirt getting in. Just wipe it away and keep riding.
    I guess I'll just have to start cleaning my bike more often.

A couple other bike notes. I got a chance to weigh it on the Park digital scale at the shop and it came in at 32.07lbs which was pretty much what my bathroom scale told me. Happy with the weight considering the build.

I was still getting some pretty easy bottoming on the rear RP23 on 2 1/2 to 3 ft to flattish drops even with a 24mm wide .9mm thick shim so went to 30mm wide which didn't seem to change much (although I used a CD case for this second shim which may have been a bit thinner) I guess I'll have to find some thicker shim material because 30mm is about the widest that will fit it there.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    That weight is inline with my '05 Spot too. Just wondering, how do you like the Hans Dampf tires? My Spot has almost worn through its 2.35 Nevegals and will be looking for some new boots soon. Weight on those tires?

Cheers

Buzz

Yes, that's fonetic
    Great pics KRob. The only time I get island fever is when I see these kinds of posts and remember how limited my ride choices really are. Thanks for that...

mtbr member
    Just wondering, how do you like the Hans Dampf tires? My Spot has almost worn through its 2.35 Nevegals and will be looking for some new boots soon. Weight on those tires?

Cheers

Buzz
    I've posted some initial impressions of the tires on the Hans Dampf thread over in the wheel and tire forum but have more time on them now.

I really like the HDs. They grip really well in corners, they have nice size and volume (a bit bigger than the Nev 2.35), tough sidewalls, and mounted up tubeless about as easy as any tire I've every mounted and have not leaked or burped despite some sideways landing off stairs onto sidewalks and nose heavy landings from 3 feet to flattish. I mentioned they felt a bit slow rolling initially but I don't notice that as much lately (usually). I may have just gotten used to it but I still believe they are a bit slower rolling than the 2.5 Minnion DHF Exo single plys I've been running on my Knolly the past year or so.

Coming from a Nevagal you probably won't notice.

They say they're supposed to be pretty good in the wet too but I haven't had any experience with that yet. But in dry, loose over hardpack, baby heads, and loam they are stellar, but pricey (like all Schwalbe tires).

They do not show any significant signs of wear yet after 6 weeks and a couple hundred miles of trail use. Very happy witht them.

Weights were 752grams and 837 grams.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-25-2011 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob. I have the same tires on my Knolly! Are the HD comparable in size to the Minions? My 2.5 Minions run smaller than my 2.35 Nevegals. I am finding I am not a huge fan of the DHF 3C Minions (EXOs) up here on the Shore in the dry. They tend to let go when you lean them over, and only catch at the last second. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Wonder if I could run the HD on the Knolly as well....

Buzz

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Would you take your new Spot or your Knolly if you were doing Burro Down again (starting from the usual shuttle drop off before the climb up to Burro Pass). It's getting to be about that time of the year.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob.....I found your other write-up. All my questions answered!

Now....to buy them or try the 2.2 Telonix I have hanging on the wall

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Great pics KRob. The only time I get island fever is when I see these kinds of posts and remember how limited my ride choices really are. Thanks for that...

I definitely love the big, open country we have here, but I'd love to ride some of those trails I've seen you guys post vid of in Maui (?).

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob. I have the same tires on my Knolly! Are the HD comparable in size to the Minions? My 2.5 Minions run smaller than my 2.35 Nevegals. I am finding I am not a huge fan of the DHF 3C Minions (EXOs) up here on the Shore in the dry. They tend to let go when you lean them over, and only catch at the last second. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Wonder if I could run the HD on the Knolly as well....

Buzz
    Hmmm. I guess I'll have to find some calipers. In my mind, I would've guessed the 2.5 exo was just a bit bigger than the HDs which where just a bit bigger than the Nev 2.35....just from watching them roll in front of my handle bars. I could be wrong though. They are all pretty similar in size.

mtbr member

Tough question.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Would you take your new Spot or your Knolly if you were doing Burro Down again (starting from the usual shuttle drop off before the climb up to Burro Pass). It's getting to be about that time of the year.
    Funny you should ask. Yes it is about that time of year and I've been debating that very question. Should I just take the burly Spot which I think will be best for most of Moab riding.....? O should I take the Delirium T for the few places like the Notch, Portal, and some non-system routes with lots of drops and steep rollers....? or do I take both?

As far as Burro Down... I think (with the exception of the Notch) the 5 Spot with the 6 inch fork and big, tough, tubeless tires is plenty bike and will be much nicer on the climbs at altitude and some of the flatter sections down on the Porc jeep road. In fact... like I said above... it should be the perfect bike for most of the regular system Moab trails (Amasa, Sovereign, Mag7 etc).

If I could get this rear bottoming issue sorted I think I'd just take the Spot.....uh... pretty sure.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    This past spring I rode Kokopelli Down two consecutive days. The first day on my Highline and the next on my 5 Spot. Without question I'd opt for the 5 Spot everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Not sure how the Delirium compares to the Highline, but there wasn't a moment when I wished I had my Highline.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Stoked for the high country stoke, should be heading out to CO and UT in 3 weeks
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member

That's what I suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    This past spring I rode Kokopelli Down two consecutive days. The first day on my Highline and the next on my 5 Spot. Without question I'd opt for the 5 Spot everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Not sure how the Delirium compares to the Highline, but there wasn't a moment when I wished I had my Highline.
    So you opted to take both bikes to Moab?

Yeah... I think the D-T is pretty comparable to the Highline and though it's nice to have that extra coil squish for all those sharp square-edged hits lower down and for some of the off-line drop options, etc (and I still need to conquer the Notch), I think you're right, Ron. A well-built 5 Spot for Moab will be hard to beat. Glad to hear about your direct back-to-back comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Stoked for the high country stoke, should be heading out to CO and UT in 3 weeks
    Sounds like we may be out there about the same time. Shoot me a pm if you want to hook up for some rides.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Sounds like we may be out there about the same time. Shoot me a pm if you want to hook up for some rides.
    Hell yeah, I'm there from the 17-24th. I need to work out with my friend in Fort Collins when he can ride then fill in the rest of my time.

I haven't got anything concrete yet, but CO rides I'd like to do:
    Monarch Crest
    Buffalo Creek
    One of the Breck 100 loops (I think we might be doing Kenosha Pass to Breck on Sunday 18th if you're out there and interested)
    A chunk of the Leadville course

Out at Moab I'd like to do
    The Whole Enchilada again and maybe Bartlets Wash as I've not ridden it
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Nice TR Krob and glad to hear you're liking the spot!

Since you have a 2010 Turner might have still been using Prep-M i the pivots which is thin (why it squeezes out so easily) but also super sticky. And expensive. They've since switched to Superlube I think.

I'll be interested how the Notch goes. I rode Hazard down in late July and the crux move was too steep for me. Seemed like a rock or two had been removed at or just below the tree. Reverse sanitation as it were.

I'm heading to CO to do some Summit Co rides and maybe a Reno-Flag-Bear to Doc Park in CB in early Sept. I might have to give those Hans Damfinators a try. 2.4 Conti RQs are nice but heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Hell yeah, I'm there from the 17-24th.

Dang. Looks like I'll just miss you.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Nice TR Krob and glad to hear you're liking the spot!

Since you have a 2010 Turner might have still been using Prep-M i the pivots which is thin (why it squeezes out so easily) but also super sticky. And expensive. They've since switched to Superlube I think.

I'll be interested how the Notch goes. I rode Hazard down in late July and the crux move was too steep for me. Seemed like a rock or two had been removed at or just below the tree. Reverse sanitation as it were.

I'm heading to CO to do some Summit Co rides and maybe a Reno-Flag-Bear to Doc Park in CB in early Sept. I might have to give those Hans Damfinators a try. 2.4 Conti RQs are nice but heavy.
    Do they send that Super lube with the grease gun if I order from Turner? Or do they carry it?

Yeah, the Notch seems to be my nemesis. I think I've done tougher moves but that crux move at the bottom of the initial chute gets in my head. The last couple times I was there, there was so much loose dirt and sand on everything I couldn't even ride down the chute... so it's been awhile since I've made a serious attempt.

I've always thought that the Knolly with the 180 fork and 65.5 degree HA would be required for me to clean it..... but the closest I've come to cleaning it was on a 68 degree HA, 160mm forked RFX with big sticky tires 3-4 years ago. Theoretically my 5 Spot has similar angles... so if condtions are favorable I may give it a go on the Spot.

Are you running the UST Trail Kings (Rubber Queen)? I didn't think the regular ones were that heavy. The HDs don't have the volume of the TK's but theys are good sized and have a little taller knobs. I've liked the RQ's I've tried at I-bike... and they seem to roll with a bit less resistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Do they send that Super lube with the grease gun if I order from Turner? Or do they carry it?

Yeah, the Notch seems to be my nemesis. I think I've done tougher moves but that crux move at the bottom of the initial chute gets in my head. The last couple times I was there, there was so much loose dirt and sand on everything I couldn't even ride down the chute... so it's been awhile since I've made a serious attempt.

I've always thought that the Knolly with the 180 fork and 65.5 degree HA would be required for me to clean it..... but the closest I've come to cleaning it was on a 68 degree HA, 160mm forked RFX with big sticky tires 3-4 years ago. Theoretically my 5 Spot has similar angles... so if condtions are favorable I may give it a go on the Spot.

Are you running the UST Trail Kings (Rubber Queen)? I didn't think the regular ones were that heavy. The HDs don't have the volume of the TK's but theys are good sized and have a little taller knobs. I've liked the RQ's I've tried at I-bike... and they seem to roll with a bit less resistance.
    You can find the grease gun head a little cheaper but it doesn't have the long nozzle.
    Manitou Grease Gun Head at JensonUSA.com
    I remove the shock and rear wheel anyway so I can clean the zirks. I don't think Turner bundles the grease with the gun nor am I certain the superlube will screw onto the gun head but it looks like it should. And they carry both and all the T shirt sizes as well

I rode the Notch right after it rained and it was about as perfect conditions as possible. The chute was pretty easy with no loose sand but the crux was a 3 foot vertical drop at the right turn. I tried two or three times but couldn't commit and the penalty for failure is high. It seemed to me a rock or two had been removed or part of the ledge had given way. It would be nice to hear someone else chime in on a recent conquest because it wasn't happening for me.

The UST 2.2 Trail King in the rear is 845 g and the non UST 2.4 RQ on the front is 941 g. I've been real happy with the performance of these tires for Flagstaff and Sedona riding but might put something on that's a bit lighter for long CO alpine rides. Perhaps at 10 or 11,000 feet it won't make a difference anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I rode the Notch right after it rained and it was about as perfect conditions as possible. The chute was pretty easy with no loose sand but the crux was a 3 foot vertical drop at the right turn. I tried two or three times but couldn't commit and the penalty for failure is high.
    I know the feeling! Here I am in a failure-to-commit track stand at the crux a few years back..... all ready to drop in... but not able to gather the courage to do so.

Photo credit xcguy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll.-ubbxcguymodified3.jpg  

Bite Me.
    There is now a re-route option to avoid that bad boy and get a little more time on the rim. The crux just always kicked my ass.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast