gravity curmudgeon

It's the little things that make a difference

... like riding.

and pushed rp23 and pike.

and new syntace vector bars and grips that fit bigger hands.

and new formula t1 brakes, although still getting used to these.

and some earned scrapes and bruises from unexpected contact with terra firma. Kinda gets one back into the groove, funny as that sounds.

5spot = scrumpdillyicious

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey. I too have just got my new formula t1.

Do you feel that they are not as powerful as the hype says? I have to pull the lever pretty hard to do an endo or skid the rear wheel. They also have very long travel.

Nice bike you have too, Pushed parts is the ****.

gravity curmudgeon
    Yep. t1 brakes are slow out of the gate for me. The power is coming but only OK after 3 rides. I have had Shimano, Hayes, Avid, and Magura brakes, and none of them took this look to brake in, unless there was a problem. And, yep, I have to pull the lever way in to engage the brakes. Although I am getting used to that feel, it is still odd. On a positive note, the modulation is excellent, and the ergonomics are very nice for me.

The other thing is that these brakes squeal like pigs before a feeding when wet. I am spoiled by how well my Magura Louise BAT brakes did in wet conditions. - quiet and fully functional.

Hopefully as I get more time on these brakes, I will find them more interesting. So far they haven't matched the hype. I don't know if I have unrealistic expectations or just need to give them more time or they need some tweaking.

My best upgrade was the combo of bars/grips. Those Syntace Vector bars are fantastic, and I found some OGI grips that have a larger diameter. Comfort, easier on my hands, and a slightly better body position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thats a great relief for me. Thought my brakes were complete crap after i installed them.

Could have both levers to the h-bar and still pedal forward. After one ride they actually take pretty well, but not close to my juicys. Hope they will get better

My brakes squeel too.

Yeah they are very ergonomic and p i m p, lightweight too!

mtbr member
    Both of you guys keep me posted on these brakes. I was thinking about switching from Juicy's to Formulas, but it may not be worth it.

mtbr member
    They take a while to bed in...sounds like you may both needa decent bleed as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    But why do we need to bleed brand new brakes?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Did you or your shop trim the hoses?

I just put on some Mega's(I know they are not the same but are similar) and had to trim the hoses, I bled both brakes cause some fluid leaked out after cutting the hose, the lever feel was nice and solid before the trim job and after.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Did you or your shop trim the hoses?

I just put on some Mega's(I know they are not the same but are similar) and had to trim the hoses, I bled both brakes cause some fluid leaked out after cutting the hose, the lever feel was nice and solid before the trim job and after.
    I bought the ones from Larry and had him trim the hoses. I assumed because of that they wouldn't need a bleed. Maybe they do. I have a Juicy 7 bleed "kit" and assume that would work for these brakes. I'll probably have at it some evening this week.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I'm sure Larry would make sure they are right, maybe something else is going on?

I used my Avid bleed kit, worked fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    But why do we need to bleed brand new brakes?
    Is this a serious question? Silly kid...when your brakes feel mushy, bleed them. I don't care if you had them hand delivered from Italy

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Is this a serious question? Silly kid...when your brakes feel mushy, bleed them. I don't care if you had them hand delivered from Italy
    Like JC said, and if they are air freighted there's pressure differences in flight all sorts could cause that, it could happen to any brake brand, do the bleed.

I'm sure there's no hype, and pad engaement is adjustable right so you shouldn't have to pull all the way into the bar, but I don't have any direct experience with the 1s, give them some time, you guys are so impatient, some kiwi time is needed I feel for you US Homers

I always find any disc brake takes a good 10 rides of hammering, I usually find a gravel road with a nice down slope and practice nose wheelies until I go over the front then I know theyre bedded in

Oh I do this with 1 finger as I'm a 1 finger type of guy, if I can't theyre gone like
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I'm sure Larry would make sure they are right, maybe something else is going on?
    You can e-mail Larry and he'll tell you. I just had a conversation with him about this; pretty sure he always bleeds them after a trim. Pretty easy to do if you have the Formula bleed kit.

If you are not feeling the power it is because they are probably not fully bedded. See this post for comments on bedding in T1s, part of a longer thread here. . mikael_nr1, this thread also has info on adjusting the actuation of the lever.

Comments apply to the MEGAs as well. I have a set and they are just getting bedded in, this after a few long DH rides. They are phenomenal. I'll be swapping out my XTs for a set of k18's on my 29er.

You can also email Chris at Formula, he has been really easy to get ahold of.

Edit: Cowdog, I see you posted on the thread I referenced, so nevermind
    Last edited by TLL; 06-29-2008 at 03:41 PM.