Thread: It's a girl

mtbr member

It's a girl

A little mix up with the f/der, but still fun. Need to change out the 650 spring for a 550/600.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jedoaks; 05-02-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by jedoaks
    A little mix up with the f/der, but still fun. Need to change out the 650 spring for a 550/600.
    Very nice! Congrats!

How about some specs? That looks like a large frame. What size are those tires?(they look mighty thick)

650# spring? that's pretty stiff how heavy are you? BTW is that a Ti spring or a paint job. Also did you loose your downtube stickers or just midway to going stealth?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Ti color spring

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Very nice! Congrats!

How about some specs? That looks like a large frame. What size are those tires?(they look mighty thick)

650# spring? that's pretty stiff how heavy are you? BTW is that a Ti spring or a paint job. Also did you loose your downtube stickers or just midway to going stealth?
    Sram X7 shifters/der, usual Thomson stuff, LX crank. Really an economical build kit from Ventanarama. Larry builds a laser straight set of wheels/ mavic 719, XT hubs. Geax Sturdy 2.25, yeah they are pretty big,thought I'd give them a try, since I live in So. Cal. Limited mileage, but great so far. The f/der is coming.

I'm in the 200/220 range. The frame came with a 650, which is a bit much.

I have new stickers. When I bought the frame there was a damaged letter, so I removed the rest, while Casey sent me new ones. Just waiting to see which side I like better. Thanks, Rich

Lay off the Levers
    I'm in the 200/220 range. The frame came with a 650, which is a bit much.
    I'm 220 myself...I ride a 600# spring, I'm pretty sure it's about as stiff as I'd want to go. I rode a 550 while waiting for the 600 and I liked the plusher feel but it required too much preload.

The Geax look interesting. I just ripped my second Vertical Pro UST ...I want something that rides like that but with decent sidewall protection.

mtbr member

You definitly ride more aggressively than I do, judging

I'm 220 myself...I ride a 600# spring, I'm pretty sure it's about as stiff as I'd want to go. I rode a 550 while waiting for the 600 and I liked the plusher feel but it required too much preload.

The Geax look interesting. I just ripped my second Vertical Pro UST ...I want something that rides like that but with decent sidewall protection.
    from the pic you posted a while back. I'm 46 yrs old, maybe the oldest Spot rider on this forum? What a nice distinction to have, LOL. I like to have fun and ride hard, but you tend to become a little more careful as you grow older. I think maybe the 550 is what I need.

As Tsheezy and others have said, this tire seems to work in dry conditions. Large volume, high profile= smooth ride. I really haven't had a chance to try them fully. I'll find out if they are too much to push around. Rich

mtbr member
    Same here. You'll definately want to get a 600# spring. I also have Sturdy's and love 'em to death. I've run one on the rear religiously for a month or so with a Weirwolf up front on all but true hardpack or slickrock at which time I put on a Sturdy up front as well.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm 46 yrs old, maybe the oldest Spot rider on this forum? What a nice distinction to have, LOL. I like to have fun and ride hard, but you tend to become a little more careful as you grow older. I think maybe the 550 is what I need.
    Heh, it's all in what we enjoy. Last week I rode w/ a couple of guys, both on Yeti ASXs full free-ride kits...they flowed stuff I'm still working up the nerve to try. Both were over 45. The bike will bring out the beast in you...just wait.

Careful about the spring, 550 is really on the soft side for a ~220# rider. Bottoming and binding are real risks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You're an old f@rt

from the pic you posted a while back. I'm 46 yrs old, maybe the oldest Spot rider on this forum? What a nice distinction to have, LOL. I like to have fun and ride hard, but you tend to become a little more careful as you grow older. I think maybe the 550 is what I need.

As Tsheezy and others have said, this tire seems to work in dry conditions. Large volume, high profile= smooth ride. I really haven't had a chance to try them fully. I'll find out if they are too much to push around. Rich
    ...but I beat you. I'm 47. Older fart. I ride better now then ever. Of course, that's not saying much.

mtbr member

I'm glad to hear that !

Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    ...but I beat you. I'm 47. Older fart. I ride better now then ever. Of course, that's not saying much.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

Nice bike.......

Sorry, just had to get into this 'age' thing. '49' this month! (When the hell did that happen???!!!!! ) Riding the best I've ever done too, but, once again, that's not saying much. We ride with a 50, me and a 40. It's not the chronilogical age, its how you act and feel........

As to the stickers, I have a red 5er, with XTR gray on one side and silver on the other. They've been like that for 7 months now, and still can't decide. Nice spring color. Larry does a great job. Good luck with the bike.

SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Sorry, just had to get into this 'age' thing. '49' this month! (When the hell did that happen???!!!!! ) Riding the best I've ever done too, but, once again, that's not saying much. We ride with a 50, me and a 40. It's not the chronilogical age, its how you act and feel........

As to the stickers, I have a red 5er, with XTR gray on one side and silver on the other. They've been like that for 7 months now, and still can't decide. Nice spring color. Larry does a great job. Good luck with the bike.

SB
    Just like Jedoaks......this makes me happy. Staying young by comparison

Bon Vie

Cool-blue Rhythm Very nice ride.........

I too have a large silver Spot and am lovin' every minute on her. Feeling sort of like a spring chicken at 46 turning 47 in July. Just chiming in...............and can relate to going to work the next day in one piece. However, I am faster (albeit safer ) than ever. C ya down the trail.

Kevin

mtbr member

Well, that's the way I saw it, when I made the decision

Quote Originally Posted by PoKev
    I too have a large silver Spot and am lovin' every minute on her. Feeling sort of like a spring chicken at 46 turning 47 in July. Just chiming in...............and can relate to going to work the next day in one piece. However, I am faster (albeit safer ) than ever. C ya down the trail.

Kevin
    to purchase the frame. The bike will take a bigger hit, in turn, more forgiving. I'll surly find that out soon. Thanks, Rich