Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bite Me.

It's blue, has 5" of travel and 29" wheels...

So call me a traitor, the Sultan is not going anywhere, but it will share ride time with the Lenz. I was very curious about the short chainstays, slack HT angle, and additional rear travel. Craigslist is a great thing(despite the decidedly ghey color) . This is intended for more technical terrain than the Sultan typically sees - can you say Moore Fun? Unfortunately, the snow in the background has to be dealt with first. Fruita and GJ are still covered in slop. Once the weather dries things out we'll see about a comparison between the Behemoth and the Sultan. Winter sucks for riding, but time with shop projects compensates a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's blue, has 5" of travel and 29" wheels...-lenz-1.jpg  

It's blue, has 5" of travel and 29" wheels...-lenz-2.jpeg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

tg
    mtbr member

I don't know you anymore.

You are a bike whore and a sleezy one at that.

Outcast
    I think it looks cool, but all the lenz haters at Fo's blag [which is everybody?] are gonna rip you.
    phuck them, that bike looks like fun.

mtbr member
    New bikes are cool and all, but I personally dont see the point of owning one 29er, nevermind two.

Enjoy!

Buzz

Powered by ice cream.
    Now why you want to be poking that stick into this nest?

I think you could do a Pro Review right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Bite Me.
    Yes, I'm a dirty ****, no doubt about it. I finally got the herd thinned to one Mt. Bike, one road bike and a beater - now I'm back up to 5.
    Buzz - 29" is not for everyone or every kind of terrain, but it has totally upped my riding game. This bike feels VERY much like the RFX felt - more upright, compact and nimble, although I've only ridden it twice on packed snowmobile trails just to fine tune the shifting, etc.
    Most of the bits and pieces were already on hand, so the up front investment was pretty low. I used to think Lenzs looked like crap, but its growing on me, and the swoopy frame looks better in real life. Pray for hot weather please.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    I didnt really mean it to come across as derogatory, just more of an observation. Its the riding that counts in the end...

Cheers

Buzz

Moosehead
    lay 'em down and smackem yakem
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    I didnt really mean it to come across as derogatory,
    Wasn't taken that way - the big wheels get a lot of fanatics (kind of like Turner cult members ), but there are places and riders where the 26" format really works better. I still regret having sold the RFX, so this bike is a sort of compensation.

rr
    I don't do PC
    What size is that?, the smaller sized Lenz are nice looking bikes but man the larger sizes look retarded, IMO.

Shorter stays?, meh, slacker HA? YES! I looked at the #'s on their site, the shorter TT and CS's might make it more nimble but I like the fit and the stable descending of the V1 and wouldn't want to give that up.

Rene- I agree, the Fo blog haters need to get a life

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What size is that?, the smaller sized Lenz are nice looking bikes but man the larger sizes look retarded, IMO.

Shorter stays?, meh, slacker HA? YES! I looked at the #'s on their site, the shorter TT and CS's might make it more nimble but I like the fit and the stable descending of the V1 and wouldn't want to give that up.

Rene- I agree, the Fo blog haters need to get a life
    It's a medium - I agree anything more than a large just looks retarded. Mike C. lobbied hard for me to get a medium so I took a chance. So far it fits like the RFX did. The V1 Sultan is not going anywhere - that bike is just too good to give up, but there were times when I felt it was a little to XC oriented even with the 120mm fork. Maybe the Lenz will fit the aggressive trail niche better. Hard to argue with the added rear travel and 69.5 HT angle. Frame and King headset were $800 shipped.

My cup runneth over
    No matter what anyone says getting 'new' bikes is always a blast even if you end up moving on. Here's hoping you enjoy it Cutty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Frame and King headset were $800 shipped.
    Wow. Hard to pass up at that price.... even if you end up not liking it.

Is the Manitou fork 120mm? Why no Marz 44 or WB150?

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Wow. Hard to pass up at that price.... even if you end up not liking it.

Is the Manitou fork 120mm? Why no Marz 44 or WB150?
    It's a 120mm. I used it mainly because I had it lying around and I have tons of spare parts for the Manitous, including upgraded Absolute dampers. I know how to work on them and I like the forks. I thought about the WB 135, but reviews are really mixed on those as well as the Marz 44, and I don't have a 15mm axle wheel. The Manitous are 4lbs, supple, stiff, reliable and take a standard 20mm TA.

mtbr member
    big weight difference between the v1 sultan and the moth or about the same? thanx!

NOT Team Sanchez
    I laugh at how people are so invested in what other people ride...."A 29er? oh me oh my!! And a Lenz to boot, oh no!!" I think it's a very cool bike Cut, love the blue and also the swoopy lines that define it as Lenz. Oh, and in my humble opinion, of all the 29er forks out there the Manitous definitely are the best looking.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    1. That color is not "ghey". It is a stunning color for a girl's bike.

2. You are right that there are circumstances where 26" wheels are still superior. For instance, they pack much more easily into small cars/trunks, and it is easier to find wheel bags for them.

3. I'll look forward to seeing it in action. Mrs. Kosmo and I will be out your way (and Vernal) for a couple weeks the second half of April. Please have the trails nicely swept for her, and consider doubling the length of Kestle Run (her single favorite trail).

Kosmo
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    That color is not "ghey". It is a stunning color for a girl's bike.
    I agree with Kosmo.

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    anything more than a large just looks retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cutthroat
    He wouldn't know what a "large" looked like if it followed him home and humped his leg
    Cutty, your status as a member of [SIZE="4"]The Homer Elite[/SIZE] is hereby revoked. I'm sure this will trouble you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactuscorn wannabe
    I agree, the Fo blog haters need to get a life
    Fo has a blog? I thought he just provided somewhere for one person a week to post some rambling horse excrement.

Happy new bike Cutty.

Team Sanchez
    I love bb7's, I run them on my FR bike; great brakes and EASY maintenance!
    "you never know!" -Tater

Team Sanchez
    Damn it! So the trails are still sloppy down there? I'm supposed to be riding Fruita/GJ next weekend. Looks like I'll be heading down to St. G instead!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

NOT Team Sanchez

Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Damn it! So the trails are still sloppy down there? I'm supposed to be riding Fruita/GJ next weekend. Looks like I'll be heading down to St. G instead!
    That's sweet Ben, we'll ride for sure
    I like bikes.

trail fairy
    Haha Moosey love it BigFoot that's def a sweet 9er reference

Cutty cuty cutty after all the RFX mods and getting err right ya went fully off the rails and chased the rainbows, oh well as long as ya happy with yer ride!

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member

I love it,

Yo CT she's looken great my man..I'm so glad you bought this bike (At that price how could you not?) anyway I think the bike is and looks super..I'm looking very much forward to you riding her and getting back to us with all the nitty gritty..As a V1 Sultan owner and now this your opinion (to me) will hold a VERY high reguard..Congrats and enjoy....CF.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    big weight difference between the v1 sultan and the moth or about the same? thanx!
    Frame, shock, and headset on the Lenz weighed 6.5lbs even, so it's about the same if not a little lighter than the v.1 Sultan.
    El C - I drove to Green River yesterday and the entire drive was nothing but white stuff - all the north facing slopes at Kokopelli's and Rabbit Valley were covered in a least a foot of snow. I have actually never seen it so thick out there. Temps are warming but, it will probably be a couple of weeks before anything is really rideable - the stuff higher up around Lunch Loops and then around the La Sals looks like Alaska.
    Thanks for the props people - hopefully I can get some meaningful comparisons with the Sultan once the trails open up.
    One thing that's a bit of a pain with the frame is that the front derailleur needs to be dremeled a bit to make it fit around the BB pivot. The nearly vertical seat tube makes the rear of the derailleur cage rub on the chain when you're in the granny ring. You need to lower the derailleur more than normal. It's not a big issue and takes only a couple of minutes with the dremel to shave off a bit of the lower cage, but that is one design issue that Devin could work on - seems like a braze on mount would solve it.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That's a pound lighter than my XL w/no headset

Have you been to Pueblo yet?, the trails will be dry this weekend, worth the trip for sure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast