mtbr member

Its alive, Its Alive....ITS ALIVE!!!

Finished the Highline (almost, integrated stem is missing a bolt). Take a look fellow homers, she's finally finished, by chipping away at it, between many other bikes. Its around 42 pounds, (educated guess), and its broken down like this:

Medium Highline frame-DHX 5.0
    Travis Ti Intrinsic 203mm fork, integrated stem
    DT 6.1/440 wheelset
    2.7 F: 2.5 rear Maxxis Minion tires
    FSA reducing headset
    Thomson Post
    Selle "Gus" Saddle
    X.O Gripshift
    X.O Shortcage rear D
    Avid Juicy 8" with Dangerboy grips
    990 Cassette
    990 Chain
    Truvativ Howitzer BB-outboard bearings
    Truvativ Holzfeller crank -170mm-single ring
    MRP System 3 chainguide

First impression of this bike is that (beyond the fact that its incredibly plush), is the stiffness in the rear end. Couple of drops and hard bermed corners on my local trail showed that for my type of DH and Free-riding, this is going to be fun...

A more detailed ride report will be forthcoming when I get back from Mont Ste. Anne in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

not so super...
    Nice "CUSTOM" green finish But...did you get the correct springs for the fork?
    Last edited by SSINGA; 06-12-2006 at 08:14 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Beautiful custom green finish. This is the most over the top custom Xtreme highline yet! Nice build.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Is that the anodized green or is that powdercoated? Beautiful for sure!

mtbr member

Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Nice "CUSTOM" green finish Did you get the correct springs for the fork?
    Its on its way wise guy...

This is a PC finish, done by Absolute Powder Coating in St. Mary's, PA. Great guys to work with, very professional and the color was identical to what I had asked for, which was the same color as my old 2001-2002 Turner XCE that I loved so much.

Bike Hoor
    Once again, Esquire BUYS the lead spot in our riding group at Mt St Anne.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

Knomer
    Killer build! Killer color!

mtbr member
    Love the color and the bike esquire, looking foward to those ride reports and action pic's!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Nothing here
    Sick. I am "green" with envy. Nice going!

Lay off the Levers
    Sweet Esq... I hear green's the new black.

Rash, Nice Avatar...very foshizzle-esque
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

~~~~~~~~
    how does the a2c on that fork compare to the 888 and 40?

and, which fsa headset is that?

banned
    I see you have the Steve Peat-approved mudcatcher on the downtube.

Just another FOC'er
    Even though the dhx is STOCK that's one beautiful, CUSTOM, VERY KICK AS$ BIKE.

Seriously though, I love finally seeing an HL in color! Any idea on the weight? I figure around 45, maybe a little under, would be what I'd shoot for and have a build similar to yours or SHAHEEB's. Both are sweet.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Even though the dhx is STOCK........
    Yea, what's with that? Don't want to get in line for the long wait to get it modified?

Hisforever

Cheers to the Jolly Green Giant.

Looking forward to the 'highline in action' pics.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member

In no particular order..........answers....

Axle to Crown is 585, and an 888 is 583. Damned close, and the Trav is quite plush, right out of the box. Time on a mountain will tell whether its worthy of giving it an 888ish rating. But, $275 cheaper than an 888 (for me anyway), and I figured I'd give it a shot. It left more money for "customizing..." and by that I mean customizing my liver into a nice little raisin sized mass of tissue...

Gonz, yes, the Steve Peat authorized, and autographed downtube protector. I have a tendancy to kick up a lot of rocks, and I have really no idea of the longer term durability of the PC from these guys (looks can be deceiving), so I put it on. Seemed better than a fender, that I always end up breaking or losing on the way to the f$#@@#$ mountain.

Getting the DHX "customized" would indicate that I know wtf the difference a customized one would feel like going downhill. I typically ride in a fashion that, well, lends me to being a little more focused on avoiding branches, rocks, and guys who are standing on the side of the trail talking about how much fork dive they are getting, to notice a lot of stuff. I'm not saying that its unimportant, I just have to concentrate more on it, to see how it actually affects the bike. I'll try the boring stock DHX for now, and then have a benchmark to try something else. Maybe I'll go beat the snot out of SSIGNA and steal his Avy... One thing I do know, I'm not sure this bike will "need" a platform for my purposes, so something a little more generic might suit the bill, like a Rocco...

Headset, its an FSA Orbit Z reducing headset. Slick operation, similar to the Double XC flush that cane creek has, but isn't as deep.

45 pounds is entirely possible on this bike, entirely. 42 was an educated guess, but when you get over 40 pounds, whats a ton or two among friends... Seemed like I took about 1/4 of a pound of pc off with my razor. Boy, David certainly did make the tollerances tight on the joints on this thing. Its all good now though.

Oh, and I won't dignify IB's comment with a response.......that putz...oh wait, thats a response. Or I can respond by answering another question: I'd doubt there will be any highline in action photos, because IB is the only other one of us who can operate a camera without a trained monkey helping them out. And we all know where IB won't be....waiting to take pics of me on the trail.

Zilla, green is the new black my man, and red is the new pink...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Maybe I'll go beat the snot out of SSIGNA and steal his Avy...
    How big of a boy are ya? Bring it on!

The Avy is going to a 01 RFX - because friends don't let friends ride Romics .

Rode a V10 with a Rocco for a bit. Worked for that bike.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    [QUOTE=SSINGA]How big of a boy are ya? Bring it on!

QUOTE]

I got 5 bucks on Sean.

Bike Hoor
    I can settle the "who is bigger" argument as I found these profiles in a little known fan magazine called "MTB Rider Beat"

SSINGA, aka Orange CRUSH!!
    Height 5'2"
    reach 45"
    weight 225 (fully loaded with camel back filled with "diet sunkist")
    Likes: Long, uphill climbs followed by 50+ minutes of naptime and a bedtime story, preferably Mountain Bike Action.
    Dislikes: Phonies who just try to get into his 27" in-seam pants and hardtail mountain bikes.
    Strengths: The ability to hit below the belt (its as far as he can reach), and the cutting wit of a broad on "The View".
    Weaknesses: Donuts soaked in Icewax, Anything with a Turner logo
    Favorite quote: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your still an idiot..."

Esquire, aka the Diesel from Dover!
    Height 5'10.454"
    reach: 10" when trying to hit someone, 79" when reaching for a beer.
    Weight: 235 lbs after 9:35 a.m. (Morning ritual with the newspaper), 245 lbs. pre-9:35 a.m.
    Age: Chronologically 36, but his knees are slightly worse than an average 96 year old
    Likes: Large bikes, chair lifts, and anything with 8" of travel or more. Also is fond of small shiny objects and redbull.
    Dislikes: Weight weenies and skinless chicken
    Strengths: The ability to be right even when proven wrong, and his ability to make price no object when spending someone else's money.
    Weaknesses: Anything green and anything fried
    Favorite quote: "Pain is temporary, bones heal, and chicks dig my big johnson."

As for my earlier comments..let me clarify. 2 years ago, Esq and I bought IDENTICAL ASXs.. except for color. At Mt St Anne, I could not keep up with him. I honestly thought that his "gravity" advantage could be offset with my ability to pedal more. I was WRONG. At the end of the day.. I notice that his saddle looks a bit different.. the ba$tard had upgraded his saddle to a WTB Freeride jobbie. So there you have it, he BOUGHT his advantage for the weekend. I will not rest until he has the berries to go at it one on one without unfair advantages like loaded saddles. I mean seriously...

Outcast

Wow, well normally, I would bet on the bigger, heavier fighter, so I would normally bet on Esquire. But I thoroughly expect Sean to fight dirty, rabbit-punch him a dozen times in the nutz, and claim the victory.

banned
    IB, can you offer any fair detailed comparison between the V-Tach and the Highline?

it's going to be a few more weeks until I get to go ride with Jubilee and we can swap bikes, so I'm curious.

oh yeah,

nice bike. Peaty would approve.

not so super...
    My "MTB Rider Beat" must be an old one. All I could find was this:

Innocent Bystander, aka Dee dee dee!!
    Height 5'9" (5'11" with the helmet his mom makes him wear)
    reach 70" if he had full use of his arms
    weight 200 (fully loaded with camel back filled with "his meds")
    Age: 30something est., balding around the labotomy incision.
    Likes: Pics of Aqua in a skirt, walks on the rocky Maine coast line with T.E, when the short-bus hits the rumble strips in the highway.
    Dislikes: He can't remember.
    Strengths: The ability to walk long sections of trail and getting away with blaming the bike.
    Weaknesses: Purple Ano and livestock
    Favorite quote: "the wheels on the bus go...how do they go again?"
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    I've still got 5 bucks on Sean.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I've still got 5 bucks on Sean.
    Thanks..I think!
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Thanks..I think!
    That's only the half of it; I've got ten bucks on Esquire.

Nice sig by the way.

Not just famous; infamous

Random beer trivia

This is a PC finish, done by Absolute Powder Coating in St. Mary's, PA.
    Ahhh, St. Mary's home of the Straub brewery. My dad used to buy cases of Straub for about $8, which is a hell of a deal in PA after taxes.
    http://www.straubbeer.com/

Thus ends today's random beer trivia.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    IB, can you offer any fair detailed comparison between the V-Tach and the Highline?

it's going to be a few more weeks until I get to go ride with Jubilee and we can swap bikes, so I'm curious.

oh yeah,

nice bike. Peaty would approve.
    YO! Week after next I buy my build. Yeah.

As long as ery'ting go irie wit da house closin' dis week.

I'm looking at a built HL by the end of June BIIIOOOOOTCHES!!!!

ESQ, nice bike dood.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Wait .... "Red is the new Pink???" But my bike is, uh ....

So-o-o, it's gonna be who's got the biggest Travis at Mt Ste Anne, huh?
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Wow, well normally, I would bet on the bigger, heavier fighter, so I would normally bet on Esquire. But I thoroughly expect Sean to fight dirty, rabbit-punch him a dozen times in the nutz, and claim the victory.

I would like to see that one!!! I say the winner gets two dozen Krispy Kreme's. Oh and please, someone take some pics.

And just to not get TOO far OT , sweet ride Esq...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Esquire, while your pondering your thoughts about the V-tech for Gonzo, think about the VPX too and how it stacks up with the new green hornet.

BTW, since were talking big guy's dishing out a licking from the east cost, what the heck happened to Shaq? $5.00 says Sean can take him too!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Esquire, while your pondering your thoughts about the V-tech for Gonzo, think about the VPX too and how it stacks up with the new green hornet.
    Yeah, it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the VPX. That Travis 203 will make the comparison a little unfair, but I'm sure they'll be some obvious, non-fork related, differences.

I know having done the old pull on the rear wheel flex test the HL was definitely stiffer. I wonder if you can feel that on hard corners, landing off camber, etc?

Forget Sean, I've got my 5 bucks on which bike's bearings last longer

Bike Hoor
    Having not done anything on the Highline myself.. I can weigh in on the V-Tach vs. Uzzi. The Uzzi is a heavyweight trailbike.. that won't break. It rides like a trailbike, weighs like a FR bike. The geometry is such that it can be ridden all day if need be, or it can be taken to the DH parks. The V-Tach is a FR bike through and through. Not something you want to pedal for very far if the trail turns up. On the upside though, man what a plush bike. It just SOAKS everything up in it's path. When you hear the term "sled" used for a bike, that bike would be a good example. You seem to sit in it, not on it. Great great great bike for it's intended purpose. The craftsmanship is upper crust... a real work of art.

I suspect the Highline will be closer to the V-Tach than the Uzzi. Another sleeper in that category has to be the VP Free, IMO. I am riding one right now and the damn thing surprises me everytime out. It's an Esq built and spec'd bike and he hit the nail right on the head with the build. I see on SC's builder utility you can buy a complete with a Talas 36 and DHX Air that weighs in at 34.75 pounds. Not bad for a full on FR bike.

Shivs, my man, that profile is SO outdated. I am 5'11" WITHOUT the helmet, gigantic really compared to someone of your stature. If you haven't seen Aqua in a skirt, then you my friend are missing a real treat. He shaves his legs, who knew? My dislikes happen to be mean people and cloudy days... and livestock tell no tales. Last time T.E. was in Maine, we pants him and stuffed his drawers with live lobster. He won't be back anytime soon.
    Last edited by Innocent Bystander; 06-12-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Just another FOC'er
    It's interesting that the medium HL is reported to be 10.5 lbs (DHXc), and I know some time ago I weighed several medium VPX's that came in at 10.2 lbs (DHXc). I think the VPFree is also around 10.

The V-Tach is probably a bit more I'd guess, but also quite a bit more solid than the VPX or VPFree, and probably even the HL. I'm keep'n an eye out for a V-Tach around here (socal), but haven't had the opportunity to bounce on one of those beauties yet.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    I see on SC's builder utility you can buy a complete with a Talas 36 and DHX Air that weighs in at 34.75 pounds. Not bad for a full on FR bike.
    paging dusty ...

btw, Mr. Knolly paid us a visit last week, thought I saw him kicking the tires on a highline...
    the delerium is sweet.

mtbr member

How much does PC weigh.... :-)

I finished building up the medium Demo Highline that we bought, pretty typical Highline Demo, Fox 40RC2, FSA Cranks, WTB wheelset, dual rings up front, etc. But man, does it "feel" lighter than my Highline. No biggie as I don't give a rat's ass about the weight, but its definately noticeable when giving it the old heave ho. Tires---possibility, tubes, thats probably part of it, cranks, well ya, my holzfeller/howitzer combo is no light weight.

Nothing else is heavier, or I didn't think so. I'll get official "weigh ins" sometime this weekend. One thing is for sure, that demo is going to Ste. Anne with us for sure.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I would like to see that one!!! I say the winner gets two dozen Krispy Kreme's. Oh and please, someone take some pics.
    Wait just one hucking minuet... nobody told ME there were doughnuts at stake!
    I demand a three-way winner takes all cage match. We can throw in three old EW frames to use as weapons, and play that crazy star-trek fight music.... I get to be Kirk.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Wait just one hucking minuet... nobody told ME there were doughnuts at stake!
    We can throw in three old EW frames to use as weapons
    as long as I don't get a Truth. I don't want to hit someone and have the frame break then be out a weapon.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

Deal...

as long as I don't get a Truth. I don't want to hit someone and have the frame break then be out a weapon.
    I'll take the Truth for the right hand and an Id for the left. I figure the first whack over Zilla's head from either of these frames will crack the tubes wide open, and then I'd have a nice sharp aluminum edge to cut SSIGNA with. Of course, Zilla probably wouldn't feel it, because he'd be all padded up from head to toe and trying to draw a bead on SSIGNA to cut him "down to size" so to speak would be like trying to whack a mole running about my feet. I'm gonna have to bow out of this here brawl and just admit whatever it is that started this whole battle.

Anybody know why SSigna, me and Zilla were going to fight?

Outcast
    Anybody know why SSigna, me and Zilla were going to fight?

you were fighting OVER the donuts!

~~~~~~~~
    Esq. do you know a bit about the travis forks?
    they are definatly the best value but I'm not finding much detailed info and I'd like to know if with the short version, are the stanchions above the top crown actually shorter than the tall version? i.e. is there actually less upper stanchions sticking out above the top crown.
    I guess what I'm looking for is the length of the stanchion tubes of the short versus tall models of the travis triples.

mtbr member

The same...

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Esq. do you know a bit about the travis forks?
    they are definatly the best value but I'm not finding much detailed info and I'd like to know if with the short version, are the stanchions above the top crown actually shorter than the tall version? i.e. is there actually less upper stanchions sticking out above the top crown.
    I guess what I'm looking for is the length of the stanchion tubes of the short versus tall models of the travis triples.
    The stanchion height is actually the same on both. Its the crown that you are looking at, tall, short, or flat. I opted for the flat, as I can better adjust where I want it, with the integrated stem. I actually (for future purposes of the fork), because of the flat crown, had to put 2 spacers under the crown, and a good 1.5" of spacers above the crown, since I wasn't going to be using it, to save steerer tube length. Its a really neat way to do it, the flat crown with the integrated stem. Its VERY stiff, and adjustable pretty much anywhere you want it with spacers, as opposed to a crown that is tall or short, and you are a bit more limited.

So far, very impressed with the fork, but we'll see how it compares with the big boy (Fox 40) up to Ste. Anne next weekend. I have a feeling we'll see a review doing a cost/benefit analysis sometime soon after next weekend, as the Trav is much cheaper than the 40...but the 40 is soooooo damned nice, it really is. The Trav looks like your basic working man's fork, straight black, simple and effective, not a whole lot of bling quality to it, but it does its job.

~~~~~~~~
    hmmm, I was really hoping it was more than just an upper crown thing. Your upper crown doesn't look all that tall. Heres what the specs are,
    cup to cup measurement
    130-169mm small flat upper crown
    150-185 mm Large (drop upper crown)
    *Cup-to-cup measurement is the distance from the bottom of the lower headset cup to the top of the upper headset cup.
    Stack height small: 145-175mm

I want the lowest possible stack height/bar height, and I don't want tubes sticking up above my bars. I thought maybe the travis had it. oh well.

Members who have read this thread: 0