mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Isn't this a member's bike?

I just saw this on Ebay but I thought someone here had it on for sale at around $4K. It looks like the same pic but it's a UK listing. Am I seeing things? It is kinda late for me but I wanted to post this here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-TURNER-5-fi...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like someone is listing the pics with no bike. It can't be the real seller because this guy is asking for 1,300 Brit Pounds and the description is identical to the legit listing (at $4,000) that ended with no bids. I was tempted but had my eye on a X-5 frame but that's another story.

Turner Homer
    I do not know, those are the same exact pictures. I think that someone stole his ad pictures, or the seller in the uk is trying to scam the unsepcting buyer. Here are the two liks to the two ads. http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-TURNER-5-fi...ayphotohosting
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Lay off the Levers
    Yep it's a scam.

The true seller is helensfordale and he lives in NYC.
    It's a damed shame he's got to sell it w/only one ride on it..worse b/c he's out of a job...worse still somebody's scamming on him.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

fried stuff with cheese
    That's nutty. People suck. I've all but sworn off e-bay for any purchase over $100. I got scammed on Yeti I bought. It lost a ton of $$ making that problem go away.

helensfordale - It's a shame you have to sell it, but I understand your situation. Good luck man.

Ed.
    Egg

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Excuse my Naivety but how does this scam work?
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by whataboutben
    Excuse my Naivety but how does this scam work?
    The belongs to someone else (helenforsdale) still selling my 5 spot
    ..this a$$hole took those pictures from MTBR or the owners actual ebay add and is posting the bike for sale for a very low price in the UK....sad thing is, as much of looser as this person is, someone will possibly fall for it if its not reported or pulled from ebay

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I reported it to Ebay and emailed him with some choice words. It's a great bike but I think it will be hard to get close to $4K- Maybe $3,500 if someone likes all the components. I would have been interested in that price range, for example, if it had Hadley or CK hubs with 819 or DT Rims, etc., etc. Just voicing my thoughts, not knocking the bike or seller.

However, I hope he finds a buyer who will pay him what he needs and what the bike is probably worth. Great bike- I really like the Horst 5 Spots. If I really let myself think about it a lot, I may have bought it and sold something else I have

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just reported it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Just reported it.
    i reported as well

mtbr member

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ayce
    i reported as well
    I hate these monkeys scamming on e-bay. One thing I like about the people in this forum is that they are trustworthy and have integrity. I sold my 575 frame with no hassle here. I also traded a shock here. I hope we can keep the integrity values in this cycling community.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I hate these monkeys scamming on e-bay. One thing I like about the people in this forum is that they are trustworthy and have integrity. I sold my 575 frame with no hassle here. I also traded a shock here. I hope we can keep the integrity values in this cycling community.
    I have also sold two frames, a rear shock & traded a fork as well, your right! on this site ya kinda get a feel for the posters & kinda just know that this site is pretty much trust worthy, even though you get the scammers right away when posting something but they are Soooooo bad at there approach its almost comical, which actually makes it easier to single these idtiots out

Certified Silly Bugger!
    So what is the point of the scam? how does it work?
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    So what is the point of the scam? how does it work?
    Well, much like the classic "Brooklyn Bridge" scam (an oldie but goodie), it seems that this person is trying to sell something that he/she doesn't own (even if it wasn't an MTBR member's bike, the bit about contacting the seller to arrange matters outside of the eBay auction screams scam).
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

mtbr member
    Yeah-a painful death to scammers-they suck sewer water. One time I sold a bike in the classifieds, the next think I knew there was a jerk in FLA selling a bike "just like mine" the sucker used my ad too. I emaled Gregg and they deleted the guys ad. Unfortunately there might be someone unlucky enough to send the creep the money; hope they take the ad off before that happens.
    turtle

Certified Silly Bugger!
    So whats stopping anyone just making an ad up as opposed to just using someone else's?
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    It’s all the same sh*t, just a different smell.

The pricks are selling things on eBay that they are pretending to own, stealing the photos off MTBR members. Unfortunately as well as scamming some poor bugger out of their money if they make a purchase, they’re also detracting from the original owners sale.

It used to happen to the weight weenie boys on a regular occurrence earlier on, until the major WW listing sites wised up and watermark their images.

Keep your eyes open folks.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So whats stopping anyone just making an ad up as opposed to just using someone else's?

Well, for starters, they don't have their own bikes and prob don't know $hit about bikes so using legit pics and descriptions is 90% of the work that legit sellers "deliver" to them. We have to start using watermarked or copy-protected images.

mtbr member
    Small world. I was the one who saw the double listing while searching for a 5 spot. Sent both Joshua and the individual from the UK the same exact message about the peculiarity of the same bike being sold from two parts of the world. Only one to respond was Joshua and the person from the UK never did return the email and Ebay never did remove the listing.

Odd thing is, there was a large frame in Blue for sale for a low price at the same exact time I did bid on. Something about the listing made me uneasy so I sent an email to the seller with some questions about the frame, I got a horribly broken english email response and the following day an email from Ebay removing the listing and making sure I did not close the deal outside Ebay. Apparently Ebay has a problem with accounts getting hacked and Turner's seem to be a prime target with their high-dollar price points.