Kiwi that Flew

Interview with Pivot's Chris Cocalis

An interesting interview that I thought Homers would appreciate.

Part 1 http://flowmountainbike.com/features...cycles-part-1/

Part 2 http://flowmountainbike.com/features...cycles-part-2/

Has some interesting things to say about carbon frames on the market around 2007, reflecting some truths that David Turner would agree with...I also liked his comments that if 26er truly do die then "we will loose something that we will never get back"

Enjoy the read,

deano
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 08-21-2013 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good read. Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good stuff. In-depth! Thanks.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Wicketed
    Interesting article. A bike brand owner talking a lot of sense, and it's so good to hear it from the horse's mouth....but I guess all homers posting on this board already knew that...

" Itís 0.3 of a pound lighter, 5-7% stiffer... "

good to see the stiffness figures not being BS'd so much like you see in a lot of reviews. So carbon isn't that much stiffer, it's not a big load lighter (for this sector of application at least) and the aluminium burner would be about $1000 less than a carbon one even if it were ever produced. $1000 dollars better spent on fancy ENVE hoops I reckon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a carbon doubter for frames (my racebike is a 19lb scott scale) but I'm happy riding my 34lb 6pack with all its dents in the downtube!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

psycho cyclo addict
    Thanks for posting the links.

I am also not a "carbon doubter" however I can't fathom purchasing a carbon frame for my 195 lb. carcass- just not a big enough percentage weight savings for my semi-slacker riding & racing approach (as in: I'm not stepping onto podiums and it's fine by me). Also, I like to ride all kinds of trails, many with lots of rocks. Carbon frames get dinged up easier on the rough stuff. Aluminum and steel frames work fine (the latter has not convinced me that all aluminum frames are "no good"/harsh/blah blah blah).

The places where carbon provides the most benefit for me are hoops and posts. A carbon post on a rigid steel bike makes a big difference and carbon wheel sets are stiffer for sure (with a LD Chris King drive shell on the front even more so). I run two sets of carbon bars and one aluminum set. No huge difference there.

For a racer who needs to squeeze every last bit of weight out of a build that he/she can get, carbon frames are the way to go. As swan lee stated, the money can be more wisely spent on other components (for some of us).

eDub

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    Interesting article. A bike brand owner talking a lot of sense, and it's so good to hear it from the horse's mouth....but I guess all homers posting on this board already knew that...

" Itís 0.3 of a pound lighter, 5-7% stiffer... "

good to see the stiffness figures not being BS'd so much like you see in a lot of reviews. So carbon isn't that much stiffer, it's not a big load lighter (for this sector of application at least) and the aluminium burner would be about $1000 less than a carbon one even if it were ever produced. $1000 dollars better spent on fancy ENVE hoops I reckon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a carbon doubter for frames (my racebike is a 19lb scott scale) but I'm happy riding my 34lb 6pack with all its dents in the downtube!

What you forgot is the entire carbon picture.............Please do not cherry pick to fit your agenda.

" I mean, we donít have warranty problems with our aluminium bikes, but the tests we put the carbon bikes through, thereís no way an aluminium bike would survive them! When it comes to fatigue life and impact, carbon is a different league."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    To further fuel the carbon debate, what's up with the aluminum worship? I've eventually cracked nearly every aluminum frame I've owned (even Turners on occasion!), and NEVER cracked a single carbon frame.

Sure I ride a ridiculous amount, and I'm probably not providing a statistically significant observation here, but the "NEARLY EVERY/NEVER" juxtaposition seems to be worth noting.

Aluminum really has pretty crappy fatigue resistance. Steel is a lot better, and from what I hear, a well designed carbon frame will darn near wear out the testing machine.
    Last edited by kosmo; 08-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I hope what he says about the carbon testing is true. Random testing? Or a frame that was cherry picked before the assembly line pumps out 20(?) a day. That would change my perception after destroying a carbon GT Marathon 2008 (I still claim the I-drive is awesome, up to 120 travel). I destroyed that frame one scratch at a time. Pebbles, rock dings, scratches and dents-oops no dent a hole! A hole the size of a dime, and a long gouge on each side of the hole! WTF! This 5 spot I have, only gets dents, and I ride on! I like Aluminum for now. Hopefully thenCarbon is stronger and more puncture resistant. Good for us!

mtbr member
    Great interview. His philosophies and apparent integrity have put me more firmly in the PIVOT camp when it comes time to buy that next bike...which will be a major upgrade for me.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    An interesting interview that I thought Homers would appreciate.

Part 1 Interview: Chris Cocalis of Pivot Cycles Part 1 | Flow Mountain Bike

Part 2 Interview: Chris Cocalis of Pivot Cycles, Part 2 | Flow Mountain Bike

Has some interesting things to say about carbon frames on the market around 2007, reflecting some truths that David Turner would agree with...I also liked his comments that if 26er truly do die then "we will loose something that we will never get back"

Enjoy the read,

deano
    For a guy who says he doesnt like to slam other brands - he sure spends a lot of time doing it.