mtbr member
    Nov 2005

... and if we just ... Interested in a Turner. Need help!!

Hi,
    I found a Turner 4X for sale. Here are the specs: Please read the bottom and reply

-Turner 4x frame, medium, 3.5" travel, manitou 3way adj spv shock, original horst link
    -rockshox pike team coil 95-140mm, adj compression/rebound
    -truvativ 31.8 bars
    -truvativ holzfeller cranks/e13 chain guide
    -avid juicy brakes 160mm front/rear
    -sun rhynolite welded rims/wheelsmith spokes/xt rear hub/velocity 20mm thru axle front hub
    -thomson seat post 27.2mm
    -sram derailleur/shifter
    -shimano dx pedals
    -NEW raceface diabolus stainless steel headset
    -NEW coalition bmx seat
    -NEW thomson stem 31.8mm
    31 lbs

Since I am not familiar with these components - can anyone help me; are they good?

I tried out a Pike and loved it, super solid. I had a Fox 36R2, is it similar?

How is the build spec for this bike? I also want to go up hlls on the occasional climb, will the geometry kill me on the ascent?

In addition, I am not sure how much to offer for the bike. What sounds like a good price for this bike? - How much would you pay and feel like you're getting a great deal??

He says its a 2006 Turner 4X. - i can't find it on the Turner site, however I think I heard of the Turner MTX/4X frames that are released in small batches, is this it? Are they more desired?

I'm really excited to jump on a bike again, as I sold my Scott Scale 10 last week which was not for me (too light and flimsy for any fun).

Replies would be GREATLY appreciated!! I;m looking to get it soon!

THANKS!!

No, that's not phonetic
    2006? Not likely. Turner has not made a bike based on those XCE rockers since 2002, though they made have made a run of weird ones after 2002. I'd say $500 for the frame if it's in good shape. Maybe $900-1000 for the whole kit, though I can't see the hubs or headset. There are no shifters, chain, and derailleurs, which drags the price down a bit.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    2006? Not likely. Turner has not made a bike based on those XCE rockers since 2002, though they made have made a run of weird ones after 2002. I'd say $500 for the frame if it's in good shape. Maybe $900-1000 for the whole kit, though I can't see the hubs or headset. There are no shifters, chain, and derailleurs, which drags the price down a bit.
    He listed it in the parts spec noob. XT/velocity and diabolus. In which case your price range is spot on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by polandspring88
    He listed it in the parts spec noob. XT/velocity and diabolus. In which case your price range is spot on.
    Does that mean they suck? lol.

No, that's not phonetic
    Oh, I sorta skipped that parts list part. Turns out I was prescient anyway.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    U m Im no expert on the XCE, but it sorta look 4xy at the front sorta a mix of spot and flux maybe XCE with an XCE rear and rockers

I think this is a DT or CC one for sure, something wierd theres either alot of mixes going on or as Tscheesy says the years for XCE were pre 06

Some of the parts aren't even 06, that Pike is 04/05 etc

Kinda looks cool and in good nic though! umm Im no help really!

CC?
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not a '06 thats fer sure. lookit the length of the chainstay, the xce rockers that cheesey mentioned, the old rocker mount. the thing that bugs me is that patch under the top tube just behind the headtube and the fresh paint/stickers.

ya know what it looks like to me? a small '04 burner. should make a pretty good 4x bike but its far from the real deal. assuming that patch is nuthin... id agree, a grand or less is fair. more like less since the seller is a blatant liar.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Can a Horst link even be an '06? Hmmm.

Plus what CC and Tscheezy said.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Oh, I sorta skipped that parts list part. Turns out I was prescient anyway.
    Interesting choice in wording.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not a '06 thats fer sure. lookit the length of the chainstay, the xce rockers that cheesey mentioned, the old rocker mount. the thing that bugs me is that patch under the top tube just behind the headtube and the fresh paint/stickers.

ya know what it looks like to me? a small '04 burner. should make a pretty good 4x bike but its far from the real deal. assuming that patch is nuthin... id agree, a grand or less is fair. more like less since the seller is a blatant liar.
    It was the first of those 4x bikes that I see come up from time to time. For some reason, I remember it at the end of the Burner's life cycle and into the Flux's before getting changed over to the newer horizontal style rocker. I think DT may have even spoken about the tubing at one time and I'm sure several in this thread discussed the frame as well.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Interesting choice in wording.

Great, now I'm going to have a little voice in the back of my head asking "Formal? or informal?" every time I read a post on this board.
    Last edited by TLL; 07-03-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Hisforever

cool ride

If you put on a new dual ring setup it will climb, as it is now you may be tired after a few minutes of mashing. nice thing about the pike is you can wind it down to offset 'too slack for climbing'.

This bike looks pretty clean

You would be well served to throw in a "Chris King' Steelset(deep cup insert) if this is a true small run 4x bike, Headtube ovalization is reeeeeeeeeaaaaaallll bad.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it. It's probably a Burner. The 4X bikes that were on here a while back had a funky bolt-on lower shock mount. This just looks like my old bike, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just don't get screwed.

mtbr member

burner?

I'm no expert, but it looks like a small burner to me made to look like a 4x setup. Where is DT anyway? He would know better than anyone.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good call poop! either that or a small burner modded into a 4x bike. boy, was i asleep at the wheel or what?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Sure looks like a small Burner, but I don't remember ever seeing that added gusset patch on the top tube/head tube junction - maybe a small XCE main triangle? Also, is it just me, or does it look like somethings a bit squonky on the lower shock mount in that last picture, like a crack forming maybe? Perhaps it's just the paint.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Sure looks like a small Burner, but I don't remember ever seeing that added gusset patch on the top tube/head tube junction - maybe a small XCE main triangle? Also, is it just me, or does it look like somethings a bit squonky on the lower shock mount in that last picture, like a crack forming maybe? Perhaps it's just the paint.
    Can't be an XCE based frame because of the Burner tabs for the shock. For some reason I also think there was a 4x ridden by perhaps that Dutch female rider that had the XCE/5Spot bottom end, but I can't remember for sure.

The burner most certainly did have that gusset under the top tube.

mtbr member

Burner indeed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinh/109778087/

This dude also claims his burner is '06 yet it too features HL. Hmm...
    http://forum.dhhawaii.com/index.php?topic=1305.msg10779

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Can't be an XCE based frame because of the Burner tabs for the shock. For some reason I also think there was a 4x ridden by perhaps that Dutch female rider that had the XCE/5Spot bottom end, but I can't remember for sure.

The burner most certainly did have that gusset under the top tube.
    Right on the XCE BB - I scrolled through the Burner set ups and you're right the TT gusset is there- but on the smalls w/o the taco it looks like it's not there???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I owned one of the Ex Team Maxxis 4X frames a while back and those were based around a mix of Flux and Spot parts. Spot tubing, Flux BB but rotated way forward to pull the chainstays in short and it had the adjustable shock puck. Very nice ride but no way to put anything other than a single chain ring on one of those.

From memory the earlier 4X frames were just stock Burners, maybe the gusset under the TT is an add on for the 4X batch the one I had certainly had extra gussets around the headtube and the headtube was steelset ready too.

Christiaan would be the guy to speak to if DT don't come around as he's owned more Turner 4X bikes than most team riders
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007