Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    48

    ... and if we just ... Interested in a Turner. Need help!!

    Hi,
    I found a Turner 4X for sale. Here are the specs: Please read the bottom and reply

    -Turner 4x frame, medium, 3.5" travel, manitou 3way adj spv shock, original horst link
    -rockshox pike team coil 95-140mm, adj compression/rebound
    -truvativ 31.8 bars
    -truvativ holzfeller cranks/e13 chain guide
    -avid juicy brakes 160mm front/rear
    -sun rhynolite welded rims/wheelsmith spokes/xt rear hub/velocity 20mm thru axle front hub
    -thomson seat post 27.2mm
    -sram derailleur/shifter
    -shimano dx pedals
    -NEW raceface diabolus stainless steel headset
    -NEW coalition bmx seat
    -NEW thomson stem 31.8mm
    31 lbs









    Since I am not familiar with these components - can anyone help me; are they good?

    I tried out a Pike and loved it, super solid. I had a Fox 36R2, is it similar?

    How is the build spec for this bike? I also want to go up hlls on the occasional climb, will the geometry kill me on the ascent?

    In addition, I am not sure how much to offer for the bike. What sounds like a good price for this bike? - How much would you pay and feel like you're getting a great deal??

    He says its a 2006 Turner 4X. - i can't find it on the Turner site, however I think I heard of the Turner MTX/4X frames that are released in small batches, is this it? Are they more desired?

    I'm really excited to jump on a bike again, as I sold my Scott Scale 10 last week which was not for me (too light and flimsy for any fun).

    Replies would be GREATLY appreciated!! I;m looking to get it soon!

    THANKS!!

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    2006? Not likely. Turner has not made a bike based on those XCE rockers since 2002, though they made have made a run of weird ones after 2002. I'd say $500 for the frame if it's in good shape. Maybe $900-1000 for the whole kit, though I can't see the hubs or headset. There are no shifters, chain, and derailleurs, which drags the price down a bit.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    2006? Not likely. Turner has not made a bike based on those XCE rockers since 2002, though they made have made a run of weird ones after 2002. I'd say $500 for the frame if it's in good shape. Maybe $900-1000 for the whole kit, though I can't see the hubs or headset. There are no shifters, chain, and derailleurs, which drags the price down a bit.
    He listed it in the parts spec noob. XT/velocity and diabolus. In which case your price range is spot on.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by polandspring88
    He listed it in the parts spec noob. XT/velocity and diabolus. In which case your price range is spot on.
    Does that mean they suck? lol.

  5. #5
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    Oh, I sorta skipped that parts list part. Turns out I was prescient anyway.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  6. #6
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    U m Im no expert on the XCE, but it sorta look 4xy at the front sorta a mix of spot and flux maybe XCE with an XCE rear and rockers

    I think this is a DT or CC one for sure, something wierd theres either alot of mixes going on or as Tscheesy says the years for XCE were pre 06

    Some of the parts aren't even 06, that Pike is 04/05 etc

    Kinda looks cool and in good nic though! umm Im no help really!

    CC?
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  7. #7
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    not a '06 thats fer sure. lookit the length of the chainstay, the xce rockers that cheesey mentioned, the old rocker mount. the thing that bugs me is that patch under the top tube just behind the headtube and the fresh paint/stickers.

    ya know what it looks like to me? a small '04 burner. should make a pretty good 4x bike but its far from the real deal. assuming that patch is nuthin... id agree, a grand or less is fair. more like less since the seller is a blatant liar.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  8. #8
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,063
    Can a Horst link even be an '06? Hmmm.

    Plus what CC and Tscheezy said.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Oh, I sorta skipped that parts list part. Turns out I was prescient anyway.
    Interesting choice in wording.



  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not a '06 thats fer sure. lookit the length of the chainstay, the xce rockers that cheesey mentioned, the old rocker mount. the thing that bugs me is that patch under the top tube just behind the headtube and the fresh paint/stickers.

    ya know what it looks like to me? a small '04 burner. should make a pretty good 4x bike but its far from the real deal. assuming that patch is nuthin... id agree, a grand or less is fair. more like less since the seller is a blatant liar.
    It was the first of those 4x bikes that I see come up from time to time. For some reason, I remember it at the end of the Burner's life cycle and into the Flux's before getting changed over to the newer horizontal style rocker. I think DT may have even spoken about the tubing at one time and I'm sure several in this thread discussed the frame as well.

  11. #11
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Interesting choice in wording.


    Great, now I'm going to have a little voice in the back of my head asking "Formal? or informal?" every time I read a post on this board.
    Last edited by TLL; 07-03-2008 at 06:59 AM.

  12. #12
    Hisforever
    Reputation: SHAHEEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,612

    cool ride

    If you put on a new dual ring setup it will climb, as it is now you may be tired after a few minutes of mashing. nice thing about the pike is you can wind it down to offset 'too slack for climbing'.

    This bike looks pretty clean

    You would be well served to throw in a "Chris King' Steelset(deep cup insert) if this is a true small run 4x bike, Headtube ovalization is reeeeeeeeeaaaaaallll bad.
    Jesus Saves




  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ya know what it looks like to me? a small '04 burner. should make a pretty good 4x bike but its far from the real deal. assuming that patch is nuthin... id agree, a grand or less is fair. more like less since the seller is a blatant liar.
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it. It's probably a Burner. The 4X bikes that were on here a while back had a funky bolt-on lower shock mount. This just looks like my old bike, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just don't get screwed.
    .....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: prooperator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    493

    burner?

    I'm no expert, but it looks like a small burner to me made to look like a 4x setup. Where is DT anyway? He would know better than anyone.

  15. #15
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    good call poop! either that or a small burner modded into a 4x bike. boy, was i asleep at the wheel or what?
    No, I'm NOT back!

  16. #16
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546
    Sure looks like a small Burner, but I don't remember ever seeing that added gusset patch on the top tube/head tube junction - maybe a small XCE main triangle? Also, is it just me, or does it look like somethings a bit squonky on the lower shock mount in that last picture, like a crack forming maybe? Perhaps it's just the paint.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Sure looks like a small Burner, but I don't remember ever seeing that added gusset patch on the top tube/head tube junction - maybe a small XCE main triangle? Also, is it just me, or does it look like somethings a bit squonky on the lower shock mount in that last picture, like a crack forming maybe? Perhaps it's just the paint.
    Can't be an XCE based frame because of the Burner tabs for the shock. For some reason I also think there was a 4x ridden by perhaps that Dutch female rider that had the XCE/5Spot bottom end, but I can't remember for sure.

    The burner most certainly did have that gusset under the top tube.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smitty22s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    24

    Burner indeed

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinh/109778087/

    This dude also claims his burner is '06 yet it too features HL. Hmm...
    http://forum.dhhawaii.com/index.php?topic=1305.msg10779

  19. #19
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Can't be an XCE based frame because of the Burner tabs for the shock. For some reason I also think there was a 4x ridden by perhaps that Dutch female rider that had the XCE/5Spot bottom end, but I can't remember for sure.

    The burner most certainly did have that gusset under the top tube.
    Right on the XCE BB - I scrolled through the Burner set ups and you're right the TT gusset is there- but on the smalls w/o the taco it looks like it's not there???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    I owned one of the Ex Team Maxxis 4X frames a while back and those were based around a mix of Flux and Spot parts. Spot tubing, Flux BB but rotated way forward to pull the chainstays in short and it had the adjustable shock puck. Very nice ride but no way to put anything other than a single chain ring on one of those.

    From memory the earlier 4X frames were just stock Burners, maybe the gusset under the TT is an add on for the 4X batch the one I had certainly had extra gussets around the headtube and the headtube was steelset ready too.

    Christiaan would be the guy to speak to if DT don't come around as he's owned more Turner 4X bikes than most team riders
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •