Baked Alaskan

Installed the Swinger on the 5-spot, weighed the Romic

The snow is melting and I was bored so I swapped the Romic for the Swinger 4-way air. Took the spring off the Romic and weighed the pieces separately too. Surprised to see the spring was almost as heavy the shock itself. Guess that's why everyone wants the Ti one so badly. Now I just have to figure out how to get the Swinger dialed in. Just for reference, I weighed the Swinger and the 5th air without any bushings and whatnot. Swinger 4-way air... 410g, 5th air... 240g, compared to the Romic with a 550# spring that's 673g as pictured.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    The snow is melting and I was bored so I swapped the Romic for the Swinger 4-way air. Took the spring off the Romic and weighed the pieces separately too. Surprised to see the spring was almost as heavy the shock itself. Guess that's why everyone wants the Ti one so badly. Now I just have to figure out how to get the Swinger dialed in. Just for reference, I weighed the Swinger and the 5th air without any bushings and whatnot. Swinger 4-way air... 410g, 5th air... 240g, compared to the Romic with a 550# spring that's 673g as pictured.
    Nice. It'll be cool to have your shock lab when the trails are finally open. It's interesting to see that the Romic spring is actually heavier than the 5th-EA. BTW how worn are the bushings in the Romic?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Baked Alaskan

just gotta figure out swinger settings

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Nice. It'll be cool to have your shock lab when the trails are finally open. It's interesting to see that the Romic spring is actually heavier than the 5th-EA. BTW how worn are the bushings in the Romic?
    I downloaded the instructions on tuning, now I just have to fine the right settings. I really can't hammer anything right now so finding a balance between the small and the big hits is tough.

As for the 5th air, I still need to order the correct bushings and then I'll play with that one too.

The Romic is heading back to get serviced and then I think I'm gonna just sell it cheap, like $150 or something, to someone looking for a backup. The bushings looked fine to me. I actually used a set for the swinger, but they didn't exactly fit until I ground them down a bit.

Lay off the Levers
    I downloaded the instructions on tuning, now I just have to fine the right settings. I really can't hammer anything right now so finding a balance between the small and the big hits is tough.

As for the 5th air, I still need to order the correct bushings and then I'll play with that one too.

The Romic is heading back to get serviced and then I think I'm gonna just sell it cheap, like $150 or something, to someone looking for a backup. The bushings looked fine to me. I actually used a set for the swinger, but they didn't exactly fit until I ground them down a bit.
    Cool. Comitted to going air-air eh?
    Keep me in mind if you decide to ditch the Romic.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Cool. Comitted to going air-air eh?
    Keep me in mind if you decide to ditch the Romic.
    I have two. You can have one of mine.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

699/345 for a 2004 Romic

My Romic is 699 complete and the 2.25" X 450 spring is 345 grams ... an heavy mama indeed. The 400 shaves off 22 grams. Keep us posted on performance of the 4-way vs the Romic!
    Last edited by Davide; 04-12-2004 at 06:46 PM.