mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Info for your push shock??

Just wanted to know if anyone her had recieved any onfo with their Push modded shock?? Seems to be a large population of push junkies, so you guys would know the 'norm'.

Just a little bummed spending the $$ on a race system and getting NOTHING back from push about what was done...valving, oil, what the adjustments do, where they were set, chamber pressures, air or nitro, service intervals, etc..etc.....

Just a shock in a box.

mtbr member

Idea! Even better..............

Why don't you call them and talk to Jimmy; he will give you all of the answers to your questions.

I think that is much better than a one-size fits all owner's manual like the one you get from Fox, Zoke, Rock Shock, etc.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Team Sanchez
    Yeah, you really need to call Jimmy or Darren, and have them tell you exactly what was done, and what PSI they charged your shock with, as you will need to check it monthly and add air to it as needed. He will also tell you how many clicks of compression and rebound they set your shock at. I personally haven't messed with the compression adjustment at all, but I did speed up the rebound 2 clicks.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    Why don't you call them and talk to Jimmy; he will give you all of the answers to your questions. :
    So they did a bunch of custom stuff to my spec, but it is not standard issue to let the customer what that custom stuff was?? If they have all the answers to my specific questions at hand WHY DID THEY NOT GET SENT WITH MY SHOCK?

For the $$ i spent, it just blows me a way that I have to call them to find out exactly what I just paid for.....

I think that is much better than a one-size fits all owner's manual like the one you get from Fox, Zoke, Rock Shock, etc.
    It would be better that what I got...NOTHING. All I expect is a little page listing my specs and the requirements.

So I guess the answer is........ No they do not send any info with the shock.......
    Last edited by davep; 11-23-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    burn the turkey today dave? happy thanxgivin buddy!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    burn the turkey today dave? happy thanxgivin buddy!
    I just asked a simple question: if Push normally sent zero info with their shocks, or if I was the only one. I would e-mail them, but they are not very good at answering e-mails in my experience

I should have realised that most here hold Push to some higher level, and that any post that might question that superiority would be dismissed.
    Why are you guys justifying Push's decision to keep info from the end user and consumer? This board is ALL about getting info to people and helping people be able to work on/maintain there Turners..why would a shock be any different. You're telling me that it would be OK if you had to call Dave himself to find out the bb width, or seat post size. What if NO maintainance or upkeep info was provided with a Turner? ..and after you F'ed up the build, you were told that you had to have made a seperate call back to the factory to get the required info to put the bike together properly...

To me It says loud and clear that Darren does not think his customers are smart/educated enough to be able to understand the changes made to the product or be able to maintain it. I am quickly becoming bummed that I gave $$ to a company with this kind of attitude toward their customers.

Now with flavor!!
    I got an invoice emailed to me with a detailed list of everything done, itemized with charges.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

not sayin yer entirly wrong dave, but ya might be over reactin just a bit. the sun will still rise and set. im not holdin darren and his company to any standard whatsoever here but id like to see us all do so for ourselves and cut back on the recent rash of finger pointing and verbal abuse. a friendly call and or letter to push will go a much longer way to gettin yer answers than a post like this. im on yer side dave. i just didnt like yer approach. peas!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Idea! You can also read what they do to your shock on the website

In addition to the invoice you get from them, which details what they do, the website lists what each modification does when they perform a service. They also have .pdf's on tuning tips on their website.

Hey, the proof of the pudding is, ride your bike and find out how itr rides after they modified it. Since it is custom modded to your weight, riding style, leverage ratio, bike make and model, it will require some tweaking to get it right for your riding preferences and terrain.

I have had 6 shocks modded by them for different bikes and I have had to play with them probably twice for each to get them just right for me. And that is part of what I like about mountain biking; playing with minor adjustments to get that ride just perfect for me.

Like I said, though, why not call them and ask? They are very friendly people.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    davep,

Your concerns are absolutely legit and this is a weakpoint at PUSH that we've been aware of and are working to reslove. We do keep lots of records and information regarding every shock that we work on, however getting that information fed back to the customer isn't our strongpoint other than over the phone unfortunately. We did just recently do a significant software upgrade which will allow us to forward via email each customers build as well as any other specific information. I can't give a timeframe, but we are working towards a solution.

Another aspect where we fall short is in regards to having online tuning/setup guides for our customers. Again, we realize this weakness and are currently working on technical guides for the site so that consumers can more easily access tuning information in the format that we now have our sag measuement guides for instance.

I'm currently out on holiday but will be back in the office on Monday. Feel free to email me with your contact phone at dm@pushindustries.com or you can contact me direclty at (970) 278-1110. I'd be happy to go over the details with you.

My apologies,

Darren
    PUSH Industries

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Also recieved my dhx coil 5.0 back from push and it rode really harsh, then I checked the boost pressure 160# . Also rebound set 11 clicks in. I'm 170# I think darren told me over the phone that it would be set around 110 to 115. would also like to get answer on the right starting point for me also. Anybody? 2006 RFX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [...] Since it is custom modded to your weight, riding style, leverage ratio, bike make and model, it will require some tweaking to get it right for your riding preferences and terrain.
    Tweaking is one thing, but when I got my rp3 pushed for my Nitrous, they sent me the shock with 127 psi, which I figured was "right" since they didn't send back anything but the shock and the old internals.

Well, it turned out that my "optimal" setting was 100psi. It took me a long time to get there because I figured there was no way Push was off by 27%.

I think DaveP's question is totally legitimate. He wanted to know if they forgot a spec sheet in his case, or if it was their policy to not give any information. The answer is "it's policy". And, for the record, I too was bummed when I just received a shock in a box. I've had work done on motorcycle forks and shocks (Lindeman, Traxxion, and Thermosman) and they always provided a spec sheet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info Darren!
    If I I neded help on the set up, or just could not get it set up right, I would expect to need to call for tips, but I dont even know what my chamber psi is or whether air is OK or just nitro. What range of comp and rebound do the adjusters effect? Were they set to a specific value upon build (like 3 ret) or just put in wherever?.... If i were the average user, I might even want to know which adj was the rebound and whick was comp as they are not labled....

I Was just hoping to get a simple question answered from other Push users over the holliday. Unfortunately most here either have no reading comprehension or or so knee-jerk defensive of the 'cool' brands, that a simple question cannot be answered.

Steve: your reading comprehension is poor...also, the info available on the Push website that you praise in your second post, is just what you berated in your first post.
    The proof is not so easy to taste when you cannot ride the shock because you cannot verify the correct set up...
    Last edited by davep; 11-24-2006 at 11:33 PM.

yer kiddin me, right?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

No good I am glad that you and Darren made contact

davep,

I now relinquish your questions to Darren and gracefully add you to my "ignore" list.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cactuscorn]yer kiddin me, right?[/QUOTE

Your riding style changes, the terrain changes and so do your shock settings-including your need for more or less pre-load. Darren and Jimmy don't have any idea what trails you're going to ride or how big of a drop you're going to hit-unless you tell them; they custom valve the shock or set it up to work (in general) for a person your size and your suspension design; you'll need to do the fine tuning yourself-nobody knows what you want better than you.

For me, learning how to use the compression adjustment-in the best way-was an important piece of information. When I first got the shock back, I had waaaaaaay too many people telling me the adjuster didn't do much and it was only for high speed; it took me a while to figure out how to use it-it actually works really well.

It sounds like you're squared away, now go have fun and send us some pics.
    Last edited by Turtle 1; 11-25-2006 at 08:33 AM.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"

Are you for Real??

Quote Originally Posted by davep
    The proof is not so easy to taste when you cannot ride the shock because you cannot verify the correct set up...
    So if I understand you statement above and from your original post, You didn't ride your bike because you didn't know what kind of oil Push put in your shock, or what the nitrogen pressure was??

I'm sorry if it were me, or most any reasonable person, I would ride the bike and mess around with the settings to see what it did. I would not whine on mtbr about not getting engineering specs from Push.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    ITo me It says loud and clear that Darren does not think his customers are smart/educated enough to be able to understand the changes made to the product or be able to maintain it. I am quickly becoming bummed that I gave $$ to a company with this kind of attitude toward their customers.

I think you need to apologize for this statement. Just plain rude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    So if I understand you statement above and from your original post, You didn't ride your bike because you didn't know what kind of oil Push put in your shock, or what the nitrogen pressure was??

I'm sorry if it were me, or most any reasonable person, I would ride the bike and mess around with the settings to see what it did. I would not whine on mtbr about not getting engineering specs from Push.
    Actually $mart a$$ I have not ridden that bike or any because I am waiting for a spinal fusion sugery next month.
    I never whined, I asked a question and was attacked for doing so.

I never asked about oil..re-read the post (I already know what oil is in it). Too little pressure behind the IFP would cause major problems with the shock. It is a standard parameter provided by EVERY shock mfg that has an open IFP chamber. FYI Fox sends shocks out with pressures BELOW the required minimum and as a cuatomer YOU are required to add psi before riding. Since I got NOTHING with my shock...I was not going to make the stupid assumption that the shock was ready to be beaten upon as it sat, as you obviously have.

I will remind all you guys again..I only asked if info was typically sent. That is a simple yes/no question.
    Last edited by davep; 11-25-2006 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yer kiddin me, right?
    About what?

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"

As I re-read your original post, at your suggestion...

Just wanted to know if anyone her had recieved any onfo with their Push modded shock?? Seems to be a large population of push junkies, so you guys would know the 'norm'.

Just a little bummed spending the $$ on a race system and getting NOTHING back from push about what was done...valving, oil, what the adjustments do, where they were set, chamber pressures, air or nitro, service intervals, etc..etc.....

Just a shock in a box.

I see no mention of oil. My mistake.

And you still owe Darren an apology.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Darren!
    If I I neded help on the set up, or just could not get it set up right, I would expect to need to call for tips, but I dont even know what my chamber psi is or whether air is OK or just nitro. What range of comp and rebound do the adjusters effect? Were they set to a specific value upon build (like 3 ret) or just put in wherever?.... If i were the average user, I might even want to know which adj was the rebound and whick was comp as they are not labled....
    Points taken. We take feedback from our consumers/users very seriously so that we continue to improve our product/service/experience.

Also recieved my dhx coil 5.0 back from push and it rode really harsh, then I checked the boost pressure 160# . Also rebound set 11 clicks in. I'm 170# I think darren told me over the phone that it would be set around 110 to 115. would also like to get answer on the right starting point for me also. Anybody? 2006 RFX
    At 170lbs on the RFX with 2" Stroke and the Factory Tuning System DHX: 110-125psi (Should be set at 125 from us), IFP Volume will be set at full OPEN, rebound 5 clicks from full closed, Propedal/Compression 9 clicks out from full closed. Rebound range will be between 4-6 clicks out from full closed, again gas pressure between 110-125psi, and compression a matter of taste seeing how it only effects low speed range. Having the Boost Pressure set at 160lbs would throw things off tremendously....not sure why yours came set so high, other than to say that we too make mistakes sometimes.