mtbr member

Hope IMMENSE Burner stoke

I picked up my Burner from Chad @ Red Barn Bicycles in Montana in early July, and I LOVE it.

Compared to my previous bike, an '08 Sultan (pre DW link), This bike is SO much plusher and makes riding easier. It's not possible for me to do a back-to-back comparison - my Sultan is back in Australia, and the terrain of my typical rides there is mostly much smoother, more open and has more flow that the rides I've done so far in Montana and Oregon.

I'm still getting it dialled and playing with things like bar, bar height, stem length, fork and shock pressures & settings (I'll probably put some more air volume reducers in the Pike.

It's an XT based build with the following highlights:
    • XTR shifters
    • Formula R1 brakes (with sintered pads), with 180 and 160 rotors, but I'm upping these
    • The wheel build is I9 hubs with Light Bicycle carbon rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes (built by Chad)
    • A Specialized dropper post, I wanted some set-back
    • A Pike RCT3 fork
    • King BB and Cane Creek 110 headset

I haven't had to adapt to the bike being 650b in comparison to the 29er I was riding. The Burner felt "right" from my first ride. I'd like to give you more impressions, but I'm not great at discerning and noticing traits like some people. That does remind me that the front end does "wander" more than my Sultan did, but given that the Burner has a much slacker head angle, I'm not surprised.

Chad was awesome to deal with, and I'd buy a bike again from him in a heartbeat.

To the important part...here are some photo's!

IMMENSE Burner stoke-bale.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-bale-0.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-part-rear.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-sm-front-end.jpg

Those of you with eagle eyes would notice that on both front and back wheels the hub logo aligns perfectly with the valve hole in the rim - nice touch Chad!

IMMENSE Burner stoke-sm-hib-02.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-sm-hub-01-.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-bale-00.jpg

IMMENSE Burner stoke-bale-1.jpg

Last edited by PuddleDuck; 09-04-2013 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

IMMENSE Burner stoke

I want one.

Nice ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love the all black -- and the hay bales make for great static shots. Nice.

Wicketed
    Hay dude, nice bike!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Looks a beauty!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice build!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It will wander less if you put your seat forward a little, you have a setback seatpost, with the saddle set all the way back....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I too have a new Burner (about 6 rides), and can add a little here:

I had been riding a lower-end 26" FS bike (with many costly upgrades) and was quite happy with it. The bearings in the rear triangle went out, and a new LBS (JRA Bikes n' Brew, Agoura Hills, CA) had to order them. Since I was rideless they loaned me a demo Burner.

Many of you may share my feelings of loyalty toward my trusty bike. I really didn't want to try another bike because I like mine. When I took the Burner to one of my favorite trails, for the first 5 minutes I was in denial. "This is weird!" I thought. "NOT mine" Bit after a while it hit me like a big g-out: this thing is F-ing FANTASTIC! It was easy to ride over rocks and ruts I used to dodge, and was very stable and precise, even on loose off-camber.

Horrible! My 26 was awful compared to this!

I went back to the shop told the owner, "I learned why a married guy should never date other women!" He looked puzzled, and I added "because YOU MIGHT FALL IN LOVE AND LEAVE YOUR WIFE". He laughed, and I tried to get them to sell me the demo. He coudn't ("Turner would kill us), but he did have an Orange ano Buner frame on display, and offered to build it for me (XT/FOX/"expert" build). After robbing the piggy bank I brought him the cash, and after several days I got a new bike.

The plush suspension, rigid frame, and geometry seem geared to going over rough stuff at speed with good control (and little noise). I am surprised it climbs well too, rarely losing rear traction and steering precisely on switchbacks and technical climbs.

The biggest test so far was this last weekend, when I rode the new Burner up and down Gridley trail in Ojai. This is a 7.5 mile moderate to steep but incessant climb of 3300', which the Burner handled well - especially on loose rocky sections. But where it really shined was the descent.

I rode this trail last year on my 26, and when I got back to the car after 40 minute descent my forearms and hands were sore, my back hurt, and I was on-edge because of the sketchy ride. I did this same descent on the Burner, only this time I felt very comfortable at high speed - riding over everything with no hand/arm fatigue, no back ache, and a big stupid grin on my face. This bike definitely increases the fun of mountain biking for me!

(FWIW I am 58, ride 2-3X/week, and am fairly fit and strong for my age.)

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I wanted to share my infidelity anyway.