mtbr member

I'm weak..help me get some gearing.

I'm running one of those stupid XTR M960 I think cranks on my bike and the smallest ring I can use is a 24t due to the 4 arm spider thing. Combine that with my 8-speed grouppo, a 30-something pound RFX, and some heinous climbing around here and it adds up to me needing the ability to go down to at least a 22t chainring, maybe a 20 if I'm really being a girly-man.

What the hell can I do? Yeah, get a different crankset...anyone have a crankset lying around that will accept a 22 or 20t ring they want to sell?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    960's use a 22/32/44. the stock rings are soft so most replace with blackspire's. shure ya got the model # right?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole
    I'm running one of those stupid XTR M960 I think cranks on my bike and the smallest ring I can use is a 24t due to the 4 arm spider thing. Combine that with my 8-speed grouppo, a 30-something pound RFX, and some heinous climbing around here and it adds up to me needing the ability to go down to at least a 22t chainring, maybe a 20 if I'm really being a girly-man.

What the hell can I do? Yeah, get a different crankset...anyone have a crankset lying around that will accept a 22 or 20t ring they want to sell?
    Are you using an XTR cassette with a 32t top cog? I have 8 speed as well, 22/32 granny combination and I bet my hills are as steep as the ones you're climbing.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Action-Tec?

..the smallest ring I can use is a 24t due to the 4 arm spider thing.

...What the hell can I do?...
    I picked up a 20-tooth Ti ring by Action Tec (I think I got that right) for my wife's bike last year. I don't remember what model Shimano crank she's running, but it's a 4-arm spider. Maybe they make one that will fit on your crank?

mtbr member
    Maybe it's the M951...it's the XTR version that comes with either a 4 arm OR 5 arm spider...with the 4 arm the spacing is such that a 24 is the smallest ring you can run. I have an 11-34 8 speed cassette on there now....it's a Suntour believe it or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Holy crap, an 8 speed cassette with a 34

Maybe it's the M951...it's the XTR version that comes with either a 4 arm OR 5 arm spider...with the 4 arm the spacing is such that a 24 is the smallest ring you can run. I have an 11-34 8 speed cassette on there now....it's a Suntour believe it or not.
    I've heard of that but I also heard it goes 34-26-24 etc. I like my 32-28-24 etc.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Pedaler of dirt

What the hell can I do?

HTFU!!!!

bet yer thinkin of the 952 3 pc octalink crank. originally with a 1 pc big ring/4 bolt 68/112 bc spyder which the mid and small rings bolted to in a 46/34/24. there are some shimano made 4 64/104 bc compact drive that will take a 44/32/22 and 5 bolt 74/110 bc 46/34/22 hg sgx, what we called standard drive back then, xtr spyders out there if you can still find em. the same set of 952's with a stock 1 pc and a aftermarket 4 bolt spyder are pictured below.

just for the sake of listin all the xtr bc patterns, the 960's used a 146/102/64. totally nutty, but blackspire makes a proper ring set for em as i said before. the new 970's also use the now standard 64/104 bc 4 bolt pattern in a 44/23/22 ring package.

i highly reccomend the 4 bolt spyder swap but beware... ya may have to mod the inner tabs down on the mid ring interface to fit anything but a bontrager ring. its a bit oversized but a hour of careful filing works just dandy. and dont be fooled by the xt spyder. theyre not bolt on compatable and heavy mods to the width of the spline are nessesary. i dont reccomend it at all even though its been done by others.

ps: i run 9 spd rings w a 8 spd xtr drivetrain on the stinger and used to on the burner for years. its a bit noisy but shifting is almost flawless. dont be afeared.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 05-19-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    CC, your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze and entertain. You just saved about 2 weeks of research right there. Thanks. I'm concluding rather than do the mods, the XTR crank is going on my cyclocross bike and a standard sized crank will go back on the RFX. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004

20 tooth from mountain goat

I use this 20 tooth on a few year old XT crank.

http://www.mountain-goat.de/start_stambecco.htm

I needed to file away a bit of the crank to make it work, but it is well worth it.
    (photo here: http://phspot.ch/blog/category/reviews/)

20 in front, 34 in back works nicely for very long and very steep climbs.

best,

if goin to a 20 t (suntour "micro drive") granny, which is cool, be aware of the 12 tooth jump rule. in other words... if runnin a 20, yer mid needs to be no bigger than a 32 and yer next subsiquent ring a 44. any larger of a jump will devistate shifting tuneability and performance. trust me, ive been there. i could make it work but not well. yer far better off swappin over to a 9 spd 22/32/44 - 11/34. i think youll find the gear inches with a 22/34 to be better anyway but im too lazy to check myself. below is a 20/34/46 experiment and a long term one at that. it pretty much sucked but i was hell bent with fewer options in '95 than you have today. the last pic was a 20/32/44, both with a 12/32 8 spd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!