mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I'm stuck in a state of HV/LV perplexia

I know everyone has a different taste for what floats their boat, but I don't know if I am doing something wrong. First off I respect the recomadations of both Turner and Fox tremendiously, but I seem to find my situation an exception.?

I now have been riding my sultan size (sumo) for 3 months and find that everything has broken in nicely ie: the HV rp23. I have been holding steady a psi diet of 185. Now this is where things go strange, I weigh 220 w/o gear. From what I heard from all the other big boned riders they are riding with alot more presure in the shock and still bottom out or it blows through the travel too quickly so they have been swithing to a LV can. I don't think I have bottomed out. The oring has not dropped off the shaft yet, but it remains at the near bottom. The shock feels very soft but when I switch the PP on 1 for climbing everythings ok?

Now I have just finished up with a ride with a LV rp23 and it felt dead! I had 180 psi and the thing felt like I was riding it with the PP on the whole time. Very harsh feeling, but I used up almost all travel while riding?

What am I doing wrong or different or is everything just perfect and keep the HV and push it. Maybe I'm just a featherlight 220 rider. I do get by with only 29psi in my tires with no problems.

Any advice would be most helpful, but aside any of the above this ride is the best in the world.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

Expert Crasher
    The O-ring won't drop off the bottom when the shock gets full travel - it'll stay 1-2mm from the bottom so you're getting full travel from the sound of it.

180psi is probably too much air for the LV can - it should not take that much to get proper sag, especially if you ran 185 on the HV can.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

rr
    I don't do PC
    Try more psi in the HV shock, I'm 200 w/o gear and run 195 psi. I still use all the travel on most rides but it doesn't ride so far into the travel, I don't really get proper sag but if I set it up for proper sag it feels too soft on the trail.

Or get it Pushed, seems to be the ticket for a lot of Sultan owners, I will probably go this route soon myself.