Thread: I'm Paranoid

Ouch, I am hot!

I'm Paranoid

I've got a large gash on the underside of my bike on the BB tube that is partially on the weld there too. Caused by normal encounter with desert rock, I believe. I could care less about the aesthetics, but because it is larger than the typical gash/scratch and because it is partially on the weld, I am concerned that it may progress to more meaningful damage. Am I paranoid? Will Turner warranty this if it does lead to something?
    I AM JUST A JERK

E~Pluribus Unum
    Do you have a picture of it?

Ouch, I am hot!

Not Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    I will take one and post later tonight.
    I AM JUST A JERK

No, that's not phonetic
    Terminaut has some perfectly alarming dents in his 2001 RFX's bb shell and it has not seemed to cause any problems. Since it is probably considered "wear and tear" or "crash damage" (despite it being a "normal encounter with desert rock") I don't think that subsequent issues arising from it would qualify for warranty coverage. I have flicked countless rocks into my downtube and bb area and never even chipped the paint. That must have been quite a whack. I'd ride it until you see an actual problem develop and deal with the consequences then. Hey, it may take 10 years. If a crack does show up down the road, they can throw a patch weld over it.

I would be curious to see a pic. Maybe I can find Terminaut's bb somewhere....
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Ouch, I am hot!

Here Are Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    Tell me to go home if I am fussing over nothing. Just noticed the 2nd smaller gash after my last ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

No, that's not phonetic
    Well, first of all, those are VERY STRANGE marks. I would expect a dent or some paint chips around a ding that sharp and deep. Very odd. You know that this was the result of an impact? It just looks so, well, weird.

Aside from that, I would ignore it. I mean, it is sooooo tiny. Your water bottle boss holes are bigger. The bb shell is machined out of solid aluminum billet and further stabilized by the bb itself. No cracks are going to form there. The weld itself is not part of the tube and so I do not think would transmit any of their own stress risers to the tube, even if those could somehow develop in such a tiny nick. Personally, I'd put a nice sticker over it and call it fixed, but then I'm not metallurgist or mechanical engineer. I have a bunch of old, deep chew marks in my chainstay from a bout of chainsuck a year and a half ago. Can't say I lose a second of sleep over it.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-29-2004 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Bad spleling
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Ouch, I am hot!

They are weird

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Well, first of all, those are VERY STRANGE marks. I would expect a dent or some paint chips around a ding that sharp and deep. Very odd. You know that this was the result of an impact? It just looks so, well, weird.

Aside from that, I would ignore it. I mean, it is sooooo tiny. Your water bottle boss holes are bigger. The bb shell is machined out of solid aluminum billet and further stabilized by the bb itself. No cracks are going to form there. The weld itself is not part of the tube and so I do not think would transmit any of their own stress risers to the tube, even if those could somehow develop in such a tiny nick. Personally, I'd put a nice sticker over it and call it fixed, but then I'm not metallurgist or mechanical engineer. I have a bunch of old, deep chew marks in my chainstay from a bout of chainsuck a year and a half ago. Can't say I lose a second of sleep over it.
    First, I did not notice the smaller one until today when I went to take the pics. Only one ride between today and the first time I noticed the first gash. Nothing in that ride sent off any red flags. I assumed the gash was from a rock impact because last week I recall a louder than usual rock encounter, however, I have to say I don't really know for sure what caused them. I have done nothing unusual that sparks any insight. I thought it was weird too. Two years on old bike on same trails and nothing like these.

Thanks for the advice.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    I wouldn't sweat that at all. I had a two year old XCE with substantially more hits than that on the underside of the BB shell. Here in SoCal if you ride the chunky stuff, the underside of you bike is going to sustain some contact with Terra Bouldera. Anyway, when I went to sell the bike, the buyer was concerned about it. I emailed pictures to Turner asking their opinion. They responded back that it "looked like a bike that was ridden agressively in normal SoCal conditions, and in should not jeopardize the structural integrity of the frame at all". BTW, The rest of the bike was in excellent shape.

Seriously, don't let this cosmetic damage keep you up at night.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 04-30-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Tell me to go home if I am fussing over nothing. Just noticed the 2nd smaller gash after my last ride.
    I got that beat.(emphasis on the word beat) I'll try to post a pic this w/e. I have a gouge more or less about that size with a nice concentric dimple to go with it. It even split the paint a bit. The BB shell and CNC structure it's part of are stupid thick, it must have been one heck of an impact. OTOH I've heard tennis-ball sized rocks pound hard on my down tube. It Sounded like someone playing baseball with an aluminium bat, and yet the DT is spotless. Turner uses butted tubes, but IMO they ain't butted much and I'm really happy about that.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I have a much bigger dent on my XCE which has even thicker tubing than the 5 Spot. I asked Turner about it and they gave me the similar "you ride aggressive, I want to ride with you" routine and said it's nothing to worry about. It's a little deeper and worse looking than the pictures show, but it's not due to any extreme skill (or lack thereof) on my part. I kicked up a particularly dense/heavy and somewhat square baby head and one of the corner points impacted the DT. I knew I was screwed as soon as I felt/heard it hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images