mtbr member

Im glad I followed Tscheezys advice...

And put tape over the zerk nipples- thanks Tscheezy, what a great tip. As you can see by the photo, there was plenty of mud to get into every nook and cranny. The second photo shows the bike ~5 hours in, considerably cleaner before the rain really came down.

My poor Burner copped a pounding- 320 km of sloppy, magnetic mud over 24 hours solo racing. I had the bike pretty well setup to survive (both it and me)- fenders, full length housing for the rear section, cork tape wrapped round the grips and barends etc. It is a testament to Turners quality that the bike was SOLID for the whole race, not a squeaky pivot whatsoever. The only thing which let me down was the Swinger 3 way- after a while it leaked a little oil over the shaft, then I pumped it up, then for the last two laps it just didnt work, and the bike was effectively a heavy hardtail. A pity because the shock has been working for several thousand km over the last 10 months. If anyone has any tips on servicing the 3 way Id be very grateful.

With the Rebas set at just over 4" the bike was beautifully balanced and stable. I used the lockout asjuster and played with the flood gate and travel settings throughout. Some people may think all the settings are a bit of a wank, well over the race I was happy for all the options, allowing me to tailor the ride to the course and how I was feeling. I recently rode a guys bike with a low bottom bracket (Scott genius) and after banging his pedals on the rocks a few times, it really made me appreciate the high BB of the burner for getting through technical sections.

Overall Im very impressed with how the whole setup worked, most guys were changing bikes every few laps because of the horrible conditions but I didnt have that luxury, luckily the Burner was solid as. Next year I think I'll need a five spot- at 4 a.m you cant have too much travel!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could you get a little more mud on there??

Nice post, thanks for the write up as I want to set up my burner to use for some endurance races. Glad to hear that it worked well for you. Good luck getting that thing clean.

MRC
    Australien
    Jan 2004
    Looks suspiciously like the last 1km section at the Mont

Hell yeah, it was muddy out there, but a lot of fun! 320km = 16 laps. I managed 4, in a team of 4 that 'belted' out 18 laps. Well done, a very impressive effort:-)

( No I'm not a Turner rider, I'm a curious lurker who rides a Heckler )
    Last edited by MRC; 10-12-2005 at 04:55 AM.