Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN View Post
    ...leaving my 2011 Sultan frame ( bought on sale ) still NIB for now !
    Yes, you are an awful Turner owner!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have owned 2 Turners... '08 5 Spot (sold) and currently riding a '10 5 Spot. Both bought new. Big question is what's next?

mtbr member
    2 x new Turners.

'01 RFX & '08 Highline

RFX gets ridden tons, Highline not so much. Would have loved to replace the steady ride with another RF... but might settle for a Spot ... Burner is tempting though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Three Turners.
    05 6 Pack New
    05 5 Spot Used
    11 6 Spot New
    Still own all three and see no need to to sell any of them.
    6 Pack set up with 36 Vanilla CCDB King Mavic 723 wheels 36#
    05 5 Spot XTR. Pushed Fox 130 Talas RP3 27#
    11 5 Spot XTR Fox Float 150 RP23 28#

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I really enjoy my 2010 Turner 5 Spot despite the fact I own a Niner Jet 9 RDO (that gets ridden in the summer and during races). Poor old Niner is neglected by oh so pretty

I have my eye on a Burner. I am enjoying the 2.1 k price!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Mine was bought new, in fact hand carry from USA when I had a chance to visit there for 2 weeks. Within short window, Dave could manage a delivery of a 2004.5 HL 5Spot to my hotel room. (Yes it was the last model of Horst Link before Dave moved to TNT).
    It went through some mod end up now with 5.7" Push rocker and 160mm fork front. By today standard the bike seems very tall and not as slack.
    I am still keeping it till I could get one of another Turner. Has always been expecting the RFX, but I guess the 650b Burner is so attempting now. Will wait for the last iteration after all the feedback from Interbike and such.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Buying used does not make one a bad Turner owner. I have bought 5 new Turners, at times needing to sell one to get another. I am glad there is a pre-owned (car euphemism) bike market and that Turners have such a good rep. I intend to repeat this process as soon as new 650/29r xc frames arrive. Bottom line: Its good to ride one either way you purchase it.
    Exactly! Dave's warranty policies with handling ALL customers, not just the original owner, is one of the reasons there are so many that ride secondhand Turners. Not to mention the frame is always worth 600 bucks off of a new one in any condition. Tha provides a piece of mind that no other bike company can provide (that I have found).

08 5 spot (Interbike demo)
    06 RFX used. (frame hanging for eventual trade in)
    10 5 spot (used but shipped from Turner)
    11 5 spot new (sold the 08 frame to fund)

DW spots are super fun to ride.

Bobo

Yes, that's fonetic
    08 RFX (Interbike demo)
    08 Highline (bought used as frame and lovingly built up and ridden regularly)
    11 Spot (funded by sale of RFX)

Still trying to decide if I "need" a DHR....

mtbr member
    '08 RFX bought new.

I would like to add a used Six Pack, 2006 RFX or Spot as my back up. Size large!

Hope to make that happen by picking up a frameset as finances allow. Plan to use existing parts I have on hand.
    I see nothing wrong with buying a Turner new or used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    I just bought my first Turner a month ago (who-hoo) and also felt bad for buying used, but my logic is this: if I support the used market, then the guys who do buy new are more likely to buy Turner again since they are easy to sell after a couple years.

Makes the guilty feeling go away and that's what REALLY matters
    Like your thinking Steadite! These are great bikes and the Turners are iconic so there is strong demand for used.

2010 DW Flux new for me.

Oh yes I forgot ......2011 DW Flux in Blue Ano new for my brother. (He rode mine and had to have one himslelf LOL)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    08 RFX (Interbike demo)
    08 Highline (bought used as frame and lovingly built up and ridden regularly)
    11 Spot (funded by sale of RFX)

Still trying to decide if I "need" a DHR....

Let me "help". Yes, you do.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Here's my purchasing history. I've tried to do my part to keep the resale market going.

New
    1999 Stinger
    2000 RFX
    2006 HL Spot
    2009 Sultan (warranty replacement with 2011 front triangle)

Demo
    2005 Flux
    2007 Sultan
    2010 5 Spot for my fiancée

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I have owned two Turner bikes and bought both used. I have never bought a new Turner. I always find such good deals that it is hard to buy new. I am considering buying a Burner once they are released.

Do you buy new or used?
    I've broken almost every bike I've every owned. More than 25 frames. I've learned the hard way, that I need a warranty. I buy new.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I've broken almost every bike I've every owned. More than 25 frames. I've learned the hard way, that I need a warranty. I buy new.

25 frames? Wow. And I thought I was a candidate for product testing with 4 out of 5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My first Turner is 04 HL Spot and I dont think I`ll ever need anything else. Fork is DT Swiss as the most of the parts are new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree with the others, that buying it new or used, it shouldn't matter. As long as you ride it, love it and appreciate it.

I'm still on an '05 HL Spot that I bought new and so far I see no reason to replace it. Over the past four years I think I've demo'd about 20 bikes. Everything from Trek and Giant to Santa Cruz, Niner and Pivot, both 26ers and 29ers. I can't say that any of them ride better than my old Horst Link. Which is good, because every time I get that upgrade feeling I just buy new parts for my current ride. Right now I'm thinking about sending it in to have them repaint it, but I feel like that may be like putting perfume on a pig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTex View Post
    I agree with the others, that buying it new or used, it shouldn't matter. As long as you ride it, love it and appreciate it.

I'm still on an '05 HL Spot that I bought new and so far I see no reason to replace it. Over the past four years I think I've demo'd about 20 bikes. Everything from Trek and Giant to Santa Cruz, Niner and Pivot, both 26ers and 29ers. I can't say that any of them ride better than my old Horst Link. Which is good, because every time I get that upgrade feeling I just buy new parts for my current ride. Right now I'm thinking about sending it in to have them repaint it, but I feel like that may be like putting perfume on a pig.

The only thing I have found that I like better than the HL 5Spot it the DW-link Flux but I would agree that after many demos, there are few new bike I would trade my older Turner for.

~~~~~~~~
    02 RFX new late in 02, probably one of the last ones left from the last batch, felt like if I waited any longer I'd miss out.
    03 Burner new, wifes bike, not a closeout.
    04 Spot new, wifes bike, bought in 06, Supergo closeout.
    06 Highline new.
    07 DHR new, instead of Whistler with HL and Spot, it's now DHR and HL.
    08 DHR new, wife, Whistler now DHR x 2.
    08 RFX new, needed to fill a hole in my quiver.

Used
    Bought someones 5 spot dented front tri and pieced it together for a friend.
    Wife bought a xce frame and somehow turned it into a flux for her brother.
    She's also bought a spot frame and built it up for a friend and a Highline that got ridden a few times and is now being enjoyed by a local CL buyer.

All that's left in our garage now is my wifes HL 5 spot, upgraded with 5.5 rockers and pushed RP3, my 07 DHR, my 06 Highline now with a 08 front tri, and my 08 RFX. No dw's, no dropper posts, and wheels bigger than 26" only on our road bikes. None of our bikes are even close to wearing out, and they are all dialed in. I feel no need for a new bike.... except if there is one that goes faster downhill.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    That's what happens when you're well over 7' tall and run 3' of exposed seatpost.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

roots, rocks, rhythm
    00' RFX used - Upgraded the rear with wider tire clearance HL rear in 2005 and that is still being ridden!
    05' 5 spot used - pieced together and was sold.
    08 RFX new - bought online at huge discount but love it!!!!

Like the new Burner though..........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2