mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot

Sorry for being a bit lazy and not trawling through the threads but just trying to fit a 125 Reverb dropper and not sure of best cable route - is there a consensus ideal routing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    See: 2011 5 Spot set-ups posts #427 to 433. Sure there are other suggestions in other threads, I picked up the method I used somewhere deep down in the archives many moons ago...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks! I hadn't considered that one - I'll give it a go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you have the hose length, the Mikosan method is really the cleanest. Last summer I rode with someone with that routing and when dropped put the loop well away from the linkage. My Reverb hose has been cut to fit under TT, so am stuck.

GAME ON!
    i ran mine under the top tube and looped the cable under the main rocker bolt and up and then zip tied the hose to the top rear chainstay. i don't know if you can picture that in your head, but when the post is fully compressed, the loop was behind the rocker arm and contained to the small area between the seat stay and rocker arm.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Luckily I haven't had the snip yet, so will give the Mikkosan route a go. Thanks!

on a routine expedition
    Inspired by the Specialized DH team riders in Pietermaritzburg, I wound mine around the post. Keeps it far away from the linkages when compressed and doesn't compromise the function at all.

Kiwi that Flew
    +1 for the Mikkosan route. Been running this for the last year with no issues. Visually it also compliments the rear derailer cable on the righthand side too.

The other image (the dirty one) shows the post in its dropped position with the cable set to gently lay just above the aluminium bridge. (Sorry its not so clear).

Regards
    deano

PS - In case you where wondering, when the cable is run in this way are NO rub points anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-img_4880-2.jpg  

Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-img_3966.jpg  

Last edited by deanopatoni; 03-09-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    Sorry for being a bit lazy and not trawling through the threads but just trying to fit a 125 Reverb dropper and not sure of best cable route - is there a consensus ideal routing?
    You may be lazy for not trawling but you get MAX respect for super clear thread title!
    If we all titled our threads like this, forum life would be a lot easier..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I've tried the Mikkosan route, but it looks like the cables going to catch the front mech collar on the way up. From your pic deanopatoni it looks like it would catch yours too. Am I missing something?

Kiwi that Flew

Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot

Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    So I've tried the Mikkosan route, but it looks like the cables going to catch the front mech collar on the way up. From your pic deanopatoni it looks like it would catch yours too. Am I missing something?
    Good observation, but it doesn't catch in use. It is just pulled in tight in the photo as the kryptonite chainlock is pulling it in close to the frame.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    I got away with this cable routing on my 5.Spot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-dsc09660.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey Recinto View Post
    I got away with this cable routing on my 5.Spot
    Yep, I used this same (simple routing on my 2010 5 Spot. Not super fancy but it worked fine: Moved freely, didn't catch on anything and was out of the way.

mtbr member
    I can't see half of the photos on this thread for some reason so they may hold the answer but I don't know.

With the Mikkosan route does the hose thread between any of the linkages or is it attached to the seat tube in any way?

I've tried to route my new one that way (but not threaded through anywhere, just down the seat tube using the supplied guide and then joining up with the rear brake cable) but it seems to push the cable towards the rear wheel where it catches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Razzor,

Nope, mine doesn't thread to any of the linkages. I placed the supplied cable guide on the seatube where it meets the top tube then turn it all the way to the left. Then I used the supplied cable clips to run it along the brake lines. It doesn't bunch up to the rear.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mikkosan, I'll have a play around with the hose guide, maybe I just need to position it a bit better as it sounds like the rest or the routing is as you have yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot

Here's the only pic I have on my phone now.

The first house guide is clipped on the brake cable right before the cable guide on the downtube.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-uploadfromtaptalk1378995454231.jpg  

Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-uploadfromtaptalk1378995491273.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those photos are ideal thanks. Looks like I have the guide set too high (I currently have it in the gap created by the seatube/toptube gussett (or whatever it's called). Hopefully won't need to do much more than move the guide. When the post is dropped where does the hose loop out too (to make sure I'm getting it right)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It loops downwards and just barely touches the DW Link pivot where the brake line is cable tied. You could barely make it out on the 2nd pic, but the cable it just above the DW link.

mtbr member
    Aha, I think I've got it, hadn't noticed that the seat was dropped in the second photo. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]

Ideal Reverb cable routing 2010 DW Spot-dsc09660.jpg831835[/ATTACH]

here is how I routed the cable on my small 2013 5.Spot...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Get a LEV!

mtbr member
    Too late for that!

Think I have it sorted now, time will tell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah, sorry. I meant for those thinking about a new dropper, get a LEV.

mtbr member
    Would still be sort of sold on the none cable design of the reverb due to the uk winter mud. My old HiLo always felt like it would seize at any time.