Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459

    I9 - First Ride Review

    1st ride - I9 review.
    I got a chance to put 8 break-in miles (it got cold quickly last night preventing another lap due to my lack of preparation and not packing some warmer clothes) on the I9s last night and they are definitely not sucking (I love those new VW commercials).

    Pre ride - threw them on the Feedback scale and the 1864g weight is correct. That's about 195g less than the Mavic/CK wheels I was previously using. They showed up ready to ride with nice wide Velox rim tape and the tires slipped on to the D5.1 rims very easily. I got the brakes aligned, threw the pack on the car and headed out to the Olympic trails.


    The first thing I noticed was how quiet they are and so smooth. They spin much more freely than the CKs did. The second thing I noticed was how my cassette was no longer in the same position so I had to stop and make a trail side hi/low derailleur adjustment. After that it was all good. They are very stiff and make the bike feel like all the power is going towards propelling me forward. I kept the bike close to the ground last night since they recommend a re-tension after a few hours and I didn’t want to kill new hoops on the first night. I checked them after the ride and the tension was still good on both wheels.


    That’s all I can say for now, so look for a longer term report after I get some more time on them.
    Nothing to see here.

  2. #2
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,135
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    1st ride - I9 review.
    I got a chance to put 8 break-in miles (it got cold quickly last night preventing another lap due to my lack of preparation and not packing some warmer clothes).
    Oh Boo Hoo!!! what's cold in Ga 65 degs?
    j/k man. Keep up w/ the detail, I have an set of Xmax XLs I need to justiy replacing.

    I sure hope you adjusted your h/l limits before you dropped the chain into those brand new spanky spokes .
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  3. #3
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Oh Boo Hoo!!! what's cold in Ga 65 degs?
    j/k man. Keep up w/ the detail, I have an set of Xmax XLs I need to justiy replacing.

    I sure hope you adjusted your h/l limits before you dropped the chain into those brand new spanky spokes .
    It was cold man. Dropped to the low 40's last night.

    Luckily it was preventing me from getting to the largest rear cog! I should have checked this first - doh!
    Nothing to see here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,557

    Cold

    I go down from NJ to Charlotte all the time on business and the people are in tights and jackets when it is 50-55 degrees or more - I am in shorts and T -Shirt above 40!

    SSinga the wheels look like they are the dogs bollocks based on your prior posts - I will be interested to see how you get on with them.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    It was cold man. Dropped to the low 40's last night.

    Luckily it was preventing me from getting to the largest rear cog! I should have checked this first - doh!
    Oh man, that's swimmin' weather up here in zilla territory.

  6. #6
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Oh man, that's swimmin' weather up here in zilla territory.
    I can remember those days. I grew up in Western NY state on Lake Chautauqua but have been down south since 87. I'm such a cold weather wuss now.
    Nothing to see here.

  7. #7
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    It was cold man. Dropped to the low 40's last night.

    Luckily it was preventing me from getting to the largest rear cog! I should have checked this first - doh!
    Low 40's? You lucky mutha! My morning rides always start out at 32 degrees or so.

  8. #8
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Low 40's? You lucky mutha! My morning rides always start out at 32 degrees or so.
    Don't get me wrong - I'll ride in the cold but I left the house in shorts and short sleeve jersey when it was still 60 degrees. Bits and pieces of me were quite chilly by the end of the ride.
    Nothing to see here.

  9. #9
    The Uberest of Micks.
    Reputation: ubermick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Don't get me wrong - I'll ride in the cold but I left the house in shorts and short sleeve jersey when it was still 60 degrees. Bits and pieces of me were quite chilly by the end of the ride.
    Exactly which bits, and which pieces are we talking about here?

    Ooh sorry, got all Brokeback there for a minute...!
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
    - Oscar Wilde

  10. #10
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,450
    I thought smurfs were built all compact and such and that one of the benefits of that was good heat retention.
    ****

  11. #11
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    yeah, but thats only a benifit for his boyfriend. hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  12. #12
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yeah, but thats only a benifit for his boyfriend. hehe.
    Time to un-pimp zee SPAANB. oh snap!

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=vw+commercial
    Last edited by SSINGA; 03-16-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DLine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    It was cold man. Dropped to the low 40's last night.
    Thus illustrating the need for a jersey with zip-off sleeves and an integrated hood/balaclava. In orange, of course.

  14. #14
    Baked Alaskan
    Reputation: AK Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,813
    No pics??? I think you're in danger of losing your poseur elite status if there aren't a few shots of the sparkling clean ride leaning against a couch or a garage door. Lemme know if you need a shot of a pimpy couch for a background.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

  15. #15
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The first thing I noticed was how quiet they are and so smooth.
    you got the 6 pawl, right? a little surprised they are quiet. bummer. i am an attention whore and would prefer them loud.

  16. #16
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,365
    Hey Sing sing, are you going to be racing DH this season on those wheels? I'll be curious to see how they hold up. The 6.1 rims I'm running dent pretty easily, but hold their true very well. I just pull the dents out with a towel and a crescent wrench. Also, the paint on the DT Swiss is weak. My rims are only 6 months old, and it looks like they've been shot by birdshot.

  17. #17
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Reputation: RedRocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,930
    SSINGA - Good place to check them out. The granite side is fun but it just never stops coming at you. The climbs on that side are a biyatch!

    Hey, you going to Chicopee Saturday? I can bring those X.0 pulleys. We could get some poseur shots as long as we show YOUR wheels.

    G - You're getting all Brokeback a lot lately. Don't do anything on St. Paddy's day that will haunt you
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

  18. #18
    aka...appBLING72
    Reputation: aappling72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    918
    Hey Redrocker, I didn't know you lived in GA. I may be at Chico on Sat. what time you going?

  19. #19
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    SSINGA - Good place to check them out. The granite side is fun but it just never stops coming at you. The climbs on that side are a biyatch!

    Hey, you going to Chicopee Saturday? I can bring those X.0 pulleys. We could get some poseur shots as long as we show YOUR wheels.

    G - You're getting all Brokeback a lot lately. Don't do anything on St. Paddy's day that will haunt you

    I leave for south florida Saturday AM.

    I'll catch ya'll next go-round
    Nothing to see here.

  20. #20
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Sing sing, are you going to be racing DH this season on those wheels? I'll be curious to see how they hold up. The 6.1 rims I'm running dent pretty easily, but hold their true very well. I just pull the dents out with a towel and a crescent wrench. Also, the paint on the DT Swiss is weak. My rims are only 6 months old, and it looks like they've been shot by birdshot.

    I'll probably use the front but I have a dedicated rear for DH.

    El C - maybe it's all the drops to flat

    Foshiz - yes, 6 pawl.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 03-16-2006 at 08:51 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

  21. #21
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    No pics??? I think you're in danger of losing your poseur elite status if there aren't a few shots of the sparkling clean ride leaning against a couch or a garage door. Lemme know if you need a shot of a pimpy couch for a background.
    It was dark -sono pics. Next ride.

    Your couch would severly clash with the gold dust orange
    Nothing to see here.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Sing sing, are you going to be racing DH this season on those wheels? I'll be curious to see how they hold up. The 6.1 rims I'm running dent pretty easily, but hold their true very well. I just pull the dents out with a towel and a crescent wrench. Also, the paint on the DT Swiss is weak. My rims are only 6 months old, and it looks like they've been shot by birdshot.


    Tidbits time, remember Mike who road a red bullit with a DC shiver mostly in Whiting, well he has the same exact set as the Georgian singer and has two good DH races and several long days of practice in Fontana with no dents or tweaks. Very nice wheels! Incase anyone doesnt know, you can get the Enduro set with standard QR adapters now so your 20mm ft hub can mount to a All-Mountain 1 Zoke.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  23. #23
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Reputation: RedRocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    Hey Redrocker, I didn't know you lived in GA. I may be at Chico on Sat. what time you going?
    I should be there for the morning ride with my son. I'm not sure I'll be able to stay for the full event through the 2:00 rides. I'll be on my XL black Spot and my kid rides a yellow/black Specialized. Al said he'll be there too - he's on an XL black Burner.
    Hope to see you there!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Sing sing, are you going to be racing DH this season on those wheels? I'll be curious to see how they hold up. The 6.1 rims I'm running dent pretty easily, but hold their true very well. I just pull the dents out with a towel and a crescent wrench. Also, the paint on the DT Swiss is weak. My rims are only 6 months old, and it looks like they've been shot by birdshot.

    Interesting that you've had a denting problem, many of the reviewers in the product review section gave the 6.1's poor ratings for that very reason.

    With all of the good reviews the 5.1 has been getting on this board lately I would have expected better from it's big brother.

  25. #25
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,365
    I actually don't mind the fact that they dent, and I read somewhere that they were manufactured this way by design, so that the rim would bend, instead of crack. I do ride a lot of rocky terrain here, and am very hard on equipment, so if I get a full year out of this hoop I'll be stoked, and won't hesitate to replace it with the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •