Am not, had mine removed.

I need a bike in Phoenix!

I'm going to be in Phoenix Wed 3-8-06 through Sat 3-11-06 and need a bike to ride South Mtn. I would take my Spot but it's alot of work for 1 ride. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find a good demo or rental? To bad I missed the Highline demo day!
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

mtbr member

I rented one there 2 weeks ago

I went to Phoenix on business and rented a Jamis XLT from Cactus Bike. An ok bike - 5" of Travel and had air shocks front and back. I think it was $60 or $70 bucks for a day. They will put your pedals on and they swapped the brakes to moto style for me. The best thing about the shop is that you can ride to the Pima Canyon Lot / National Trail trailhead in less than 5 minutes from the shop. That is about the best bike you'll get. I ride a Spot and missed it. National trail is awesome - I also went up Mormon Loop and continued on National Trail for several miles then turned around and came back all the way down National. Strangely enough Cactus Bike are on the web at cactusbike.com

Am not, had mine removed.
    Where would you suggest riding if I can only get one ride in?
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

mtbr member

Several trails on SoMo

Quote Originally Posted by markz06
    National Trail to Mormon Loop back to National and keep going for as long as you can - then just come back all the way back to the trail head on National is a great ride. National trail is over 14 miles long. There are other trails in the park that are supposed to be great fun like Desert Classic. The ride I did took about three hours. You could try on the regional AZ forum for advice too.

mr. wonderful
    i concur with going to cactus bikes for the rental.

if you can only do one ride. . . definitely national. most commonly, national is ridden as an out and back (up and down) from the pima canyon parking lot up to the buena vista parking lot. there are 2 options to get up the lower part of the hill: most people ride up mormon loop (less technical, just as much of a grunt as national, little reward), others take national (more technical, can be a grunt in places but not too bad if you pace yourself, fun and rewarding). they come back together and it's well signed, so it's nearly impossible to get lost. either way, it's about 5.5 miles up to BV. If you want longer, continue west to the towers of telegraph pass (to extend your out and back). you can drop off the hill at telegraph, but the drop is short and the ride back on desert classic is not one of my favorite things to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm going to be in Phoenix Wed 3-8-06 through Sat 3-11-06 and need a bike to ride South Mtn. I would take my Spot but it's alot of work for 1 ride. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find a good demo or rental? To bad I missed the Highline demo day!

It may sound like a lot of work, but South Mountain is worth bringing your 5-spot, great trail. If you had someone to guide you there's a great route that pretty much does the whole mountain (mormon to national, national to the upper parking lot, under the sign through to the backside...Corona Loma I think, then down the backside and back to the parking lot via the "whoop-de-doo trail".

Since you're on your own, I'd say up Mormon, by instead of going up the dirt road from the parking lot, take the trail that drops into the dip from the North paddock up to Mormon, take Mormon all the way to the upper parking lot, turn around and come down National.

J

mtbr member
    Try looking up South Mountain Cyclery (SMC) I think they are in Awatukie.Not sure about the spelling on that. The shop is very close to the trail head and last time I was there, they had Titus as the demo bikes. Pretty cool.