Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I"m getting a tick, tick, tick when peddaling

I took my old octalink crankset apart, cleaned and regreased it, and pulled out the BB and reinstalled it all grease. I'm wondering if my BB pivot is getting shot. It has not taken grease for about a year now. I've been avoiding replacing that pivot until it absolutely needs it. The pivot still feels very firm with no flex. Plus, it doesn't make a tick noise unless I'm peddaling--and not every ride. It is supposed to be easy to replace Turner pivots.

Jaybo

~~~~~~~~
    got the same thing going on.
    it's my knees.

Burning Burner
    Same thing happened to me, it was due to less than needed grease between the spindle and the crank arm.
    When I pressed hard on the right pedal I got a click click click. After regreasing I went back to silent mode again.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I took my old octalink crankset apart, cleaned and regreased it, and pulled out the BB and reinstalled it all grease. I'm wondering if my BB pivot is getting shot. It has not taken grease for about a year now. I've been avoiding replacing that pivot until it absolutely needs it. The pivot still feels very firm with no flex. Plus, it doesn't make a tick noise unless I'm peddaling--and not every ride. It is supposed to be easy to replace Turner pivots.

Jaybo

Take your watch off and leave it at home when you go riding!

Ok ok here is my thoughts, change to a digital watch !!

Ok now to get serious is the ticking in the same spot each revolution of the pedals? or is it random? Have you checked your pedals? Cleaned and lubed the chain? Is there any play in the BB? Are your cleats tight?are the chainring bolts on the crank tight? Do you get the ticking in all 3 chain rings or just one?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Is there any play along with the tick'ing? I had this with play and could reproduce it by applying torque to the pedals while both brakes are locked. Took me forever to figure out one of my Horst pivots was loose. Once I tightened it, all was well.

Not just famous; infamous

Before you replace pivots...

...try a little test. Does it tick only when you're seated, or both seated and standing. If the ticking's only happening when you're seated, it's your saddle or seatpost. Had the same problem, and at first, I thought it was the shock reducers slipping. Then I noticed it only ticked when I was in the saddle. Greased the seatpost and voila...problem fixed.

It could also be your pedals. IME, those strange noises hardly ever come from pivots. I've found it's much less frustrating to check everything else before I check the pivots.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    ...try a little test. Does it tick only when you're seated, or both seated and standing. If the ticking's only happening when you're seated, it's your saddle or seatpost. Had the same problem, and at first, I thought it was the shock reducers slipping. Then I noticed it only ticked when I was in the saddle. Greased the seatpost and voila...problem fixed.
    This just happened to me this weekend. Lowered the saddle for a nice *little* descent, readjusted afterward and started creaking from that point on. Grease relief. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

oly
    mtbr member
    Same here. Had a pop, click noise when compressing the suspension while seated. I cleaned the rails of the saddle, and put Ti prep on them (even though they are aluminum to aluminim). The sound went away for 95% of the last ride so i think it could also be my seat post... that hasnt been cleaned in a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Check the extra cable from the front derailleur isn't sticking out far enough get caught by the crank arm on every rotation. Had me stumped for a long while before I finally figured what the ticking noise was.

Bite Me.
    If it only does it when pedalling then my guess is it's not the pivot. Pivot noise can be induced by pedal input, but it would also occur when you were coasting over uneven terrrain. I.E. the pivot moves regardless of whether you pedal or not, so any noise related to the pivot would occur even if you are just coasting. Pedal related tick noises in my experience are one of three things - seatpost/saddle, bottom bracket or pedals/cleats. Grease or lube and retightening are the fixes for all three.

Eliminate seatpost/saddle by standing and pedaling - if the noise goes away it's that. Otherwisw, check the other two. Pedal cleat adjustments are easy - just do it any way. Bottom brackets may need more than just greasing and retightening - pull, test for smooth play, replace if it's at all rough feeling, then reinstall. Use plenty of good grease (Phil Wood, Finsh LIne, Park) - everywhere - on the Shimano cartridge style BBs - threads, spindles, anywhere metal touches metal, then make sure all your chainring bolts are tight - these babies get overlooked a lot.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    If it only does it when pedalling then my guess is it's not the pivot.
    I almost replaced my cranks after goping through this, I was sure it wasn't the pivot since it only ticked when pedalling. It was the HL pivot though. I've gone through this several times, greasing the HL pivot always fixes it. The greaseport here doesn't do much, you need to disassemble, grease, and re-assemble. I would be shocked if anybody needed new bushings after only a year....

BODYSNATCHER

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I almost replaced my cranks after goping through this, I was sure it wasn't the pivot since it only ticked when pedalling. It was the HL pivot though. I've gone through this several times, greasing the HL pivot always fixes it. The greaseport here doesn't do much, you need to disassemble, grease, and re-assemble. I would be shocked if anybody needed new bushings after only a year....
    Drove me focking bonkers, and I could never get it to take any grease. I also discovered it was loose!! After I spent an hour trying to figure it out, I realized the drive side HL pivot was the noise. Try a search for Tcheezy's mod which works great, now it takes the lube!!
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    9 times out of 10 its the shoulder of the b/bkt where it meets the shell of the frame in need of grease. of course yer problem will be # 10 therefore makin me look like a moron.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Most of my crank/bb noises come from the chainrings shifting a tiny bit on the spider under loads with each pedal stroke. Taking the rings off and cleaning and greasing the ring/spider interface tabs usually shuts em up for a few months.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Take a hot water bath!

Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    Drove me focking bonkers, and I could never get it to take any grease...Try a search for Tcheezy's mod which works great, now it takes the lube!!
    I too had problems getting lube into the HL pivots until I started putting the tube of Prep-M into a cup of very hot water for several minutes. The heat liquifies the lube so it flows through the zerk. YMMV, but it works for me.

Back to the original post, I had a creak this weekend. Stood up: creak. Wasn't the seat post or rails. Sat down, unclipped: still creaked, while not pedaling or standing on pedals (obviously). Bounce in the saddle, lots of creaking. Turned out to be the upper reducer on my shock.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Appreciate the ideas

I have the crank and BB pulled. I"m going to completely clean the threads, chainrings, etc. Put it all back together. I want this drivetrain to last until spring before I replace it all. I also would rather not replace all the pivots even if I probably should. Thanks again, guys.

Jaybo

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I had a ticking sound at my own ride several weeks ago.I disassembled the cranks(XT "X-type") and bottombracket.
    After cleaning,greasing and propper thightening the BB the ticking was gone.
    Good luck!

Later
    RaD

Bite Me.

Tick Tick Tick

I think I figured out what your tick is. Remove carefully and swab with alcohol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

... I guess you won't be
    I too have the tink tink tink - I replace my BB pivot twice [once with a free one sent from turner], swapped out pedals [could still be the pedals, since they weren't exactly new - both pairs...], etc....still there....it may or may not be the BB pivot, but an easy way to check [which I will have to do yet again this weekend] is to take out the horst link pivots and try and wriggle the swingarm from side to side - that should nail your BB pivot problem. It's easy to do, but I am too busy riding and ignoring my tink problem to even care at this point! It could be soo many things or not, but wouldn't you rather be riding than tracking down tinks? But, I still need to track this annoyance down once and for all - good luck J! Hence, my hypocracy!

That said, I can't remember riding my bike, without hearing at least some mechanical noise - I am only bothered by the tink on the road, or on quiet smooth trails where it's soo apparent that something isn't quite right...but, get me on a singletrack with some bumps and turns, and who cares!.....silent bikes are those that haven't been ridden for funtimes!

I still can't believe my wheelset hasn't exploded yet...!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Bring Back Buck

Idea! Ticking noise...

Noise
    Yep, I had the same noise. I disassembled my XT hollowtech BB, re-greased it, tightened all of the chainring bolts - and it still happened, but only on power strokes.

Turns out my Salsa skewer was letting the back hub slip ever so slightly on heavy pedal strokes. Now I just make sure the skewer's on really tight. Funny though, I've never had that issue with Shimano skewers.

Jaybo This might be why you've only been getting the 'ticking' noise periodically, (especially if your re-assembling your bike for every ride).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have the same cranks and had the same problem. Turns out it was from the a tiny amount of play where the spider and the chainrings are stuck together. I dont know if you can fix that problem or not. But squirting some tri-flow down in there made the click almost go away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring Back Buck
    Turns out my Salsa skewer was letting the back hub slip ever so slightly on heavy pedal strokes. Now I just make sure the skewer's on really tight. Funny though, I've never had that issue with Shimano skewers.

I have that same problem with my Hope rear skewer. I switched to Shimano XT and the problem went away. I wonder if it's the skewer slipping or just the QR creaking. I wonder because I greased the Hope skewer and really cranked it down..... and the problem was still there.