Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    UK member

I love Turner bikes but..............................

This looks sweet as fook

I used to ride a 5 Spot and was always happy with the 5.1" travel and 130mm Fox forks, I upgraded to 5.5 rockers and 140mm Pikes but fell out of love with it and sold it.

Currently riding and loving my Flux and most of the time 100mm feels enough, when it gets a bit more rocky/steep I would love a bit more travel but for the majority of my riding 140mm (and the weight that goes with it) is tooooo much

Have always though 120mm is the sweet spot for xc and trail riding

Maybe Intense could break my 5 year Turner addiction

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Better to buy a bike to ride rather than look at

Important things like frame alignment, bearings vs. bushing, customer service, and other common Intense problems

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    that is one sweet looking ride!

banned
    That is a good looking bike. I usually hate green, but it does look good.

Hey, it happens sometimes. Not every company makes everything perfect for 100% of the users, so explore. Sometimes you might come back, sometimes not, but that's business. I don't think DT would be making such a good combo if riders weren't critical and gave input and had to constantly figure out where the sport is going.

Knomer
    That is a very hot bike, but that rear derailleur looks hilariously long. Better put a skid plate on that bottom of that thing.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

banned
    and it still has two more gears....

Committed
    I wonder how the revised vpp suspension is on the new Intense bikes.
    I had a 6.6 a couple years ago and didn't like the amount of suspension feedback.
    That coupled with the flexy rear end and it's tendency to eat bearings all the time caused me to sell it.
    The 6.6 was still better than the Nomad it replaced.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Jekyll
    Have always though 120mm is the sweet spot for xc and trail riding
    This is true. That's why you need a Sultan.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

UK member
    [QUOTE=syadasti]Better to buy a bike to ride rather than look at

Yeah I agree but...................

Kwaka green come on !!!!

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder but ride quality is reality. IMO, I'll take the look and superior ride of a Turner or Ventana.

UK member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder but ride quality is reality. IMO, I'll take the look and superior ride of a Turner or Ventana.
    Not just the looks but the spec/geometry/travel of the Spider 2 seems to suit the type of riding I do

Looking for a inbetween of the Flux/Spot with 120mm travel

And is the ride quality of Intense bikes that much poorer than Turner/Ventana?? As i've never owned an Intense you've got me scared

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That looks the dogs danglies!
    I must stop thinking about how a bike looks, its the ride that counts, if only the same applied with women

mtbr member
    I am groovin' on the 09' Intense stuff too, especially the new Uzzi here or the SS.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2009-in...uzzi-2008.html

I am committed to ride my 06' RFX another year, especiallly with recent upgrades/revsions made. But, defninitely have an eye on the Intense as well, which I never cared for much in the past, like the 6.6 due to funky geometry, bearings, VPP, etc.

A local buddy of mine is opening up a bike shop, tough time to do so, but he is determined and is going to carry Intense and Yeti. I am hoping he can get Turner one day as well, but I will have to wait and see how the 2010 RFX turns out? If not as versatile as the Uzzi or SS, I may be making the switch next year.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Looks good.

I like what Intense is doing with thier bikes, looks wise never ridden one. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the DW stuff but I've seen a few that look pretty good, again never ridden any of the DW stuff yet.

And I don't care if they are the best wheelset on the planet...Those graffics on the Shimano wheels have to go.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wouldnt worry to much about the bikes handling, Intense have things sorted.Ive had a couple and found them to b very sharp.On a good day when your on your game nothing will beat them.Having an off day and they tend to come back and bite u.Have a quick search on the Turner forum and you'll find someone has posted some pics of a new kermit green Spot that looks as good if not better than the Intense.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Sorry, I just can't get into the bent top tube (including the small Turners).

ride
    I sell Intense as well as Turner. Gotta say, while Turner cust service and quality is unmatched, Intense does do a really good job. I think the alignment issues, pivots issues, etc, are generally propegated by a few folks that speak rather loudly. I've had several and all have been top notch. I've been spending some time on a new Tracer VP lately. The 2nd Gen VPP is really good and the rear triangle seems laterally more stiff than the 6.6 I used to have.

The new Spider 2 looks good as well. Can't wait to get out on a new Spot, though. I'm excited to see how they compare.

dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Moosehead

Put it down dood.....

You're going to hurt yourself, blow some coin, and come running back crying like a little girl.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Man that green Turner is sex on wheels.I agree with u Roy the bent top tubes just doesnt seem right.The more traditional Turner look does it for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Been there, done that

The first time I sold my Turner 5 Spot in 2004 was to get an Intense 5.5
    It didn't last long before I sold it and got a 2005 5 Spot again .
    It was built as a trail bike, so in 2007 I got a Nomad because I thought I needed a more agressive bike for more agressive riding.
    Than I made a mistake again, I had to sell one , kept the Nomad and sold the 5 Spot.
    This mistake also didn't last too long, and not long ago it was bye bye Nomad hello 2008 5 Spot again.
    I just don't like how VPP's ride, although there is a big hype about them and many people seem to like them (maybe they did not ride Turners ? )
    I'm hoping to to stick with my Turner for a long time now. I learned it ain't the suspension design that matters , but how you implement the suspension design is what makes a differance and most important - frame geometry & handling.

t66
    mtbr member
    Compromised rear tire clearance and high maintainence pivots if you ride in the mud...are these things even fully-active? Not for me

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by t66
    Compromised rear tire clearance and high maintainence pivots if you ride in the mud...are these things even fully-active? Not for me
    Same amount of Pivots on the dw-link, VPP, FSR, and TNT. Count them up.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    I learned it ain't the suspension design that matters , but how you implement the suspension design is what makes a differance and most important - frame geometry & handling.
    Suspension and tires are the two ways that you create traction on a bike. You could have the best geometry in the world, but without traction you are sunk. Traction = handling.

Some suspension systems only have so much latitude that a designer can use to tune them for a certain condition.

VPP for example, there is not much latitude to what one can do with leverage rates etc.. Almost all of them have early travel regression and end travel progression.

The same goes for the Faux-bar and FSR, almost all FSR and FAUX bars have a straight rate progression, not a lot of latitude there.

With dw-link I manipulate leverage rates into all kinds of curves to suit the bike and intended use. Early travel progression, straight progression, progressive to linear, dual progressive, progressive to digressive, I've designed many different dw-link bikes that use these strategies.

My point is that not all suspension systems have the ability to be tuned for specific application, and that suspension is one of the most important aspects of any wheeled vehicle.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Hey dw, I think t66 was referring to bearings(Intense) vs bushings(Turner).
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Hey dw, I think t66 was referring to bearings(Intense) vs bushings(Turner).
    OOps, my bad..
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast