Flyin Canine

I love my turner

Went for a night ride last night here in the bay area. The weather was hot during the day but cooled as we headed up into the mountains. We pulled the bikes off the truck and started the ride just as it was getting dark. We turned on the lights and the focus went to the narrow beam of light in front of me. The rest of the world disappeared as we spent the next two hours slicing back and forth on a narrow ribbon of single track. Jump here, wall ride there, creek crossings where you have to dismount and walk across a fallen tree. Creek crossings where you have to pedal through water deep enough that your shoes get drenched. Finish off with a descent back home with just enough uphills to finish of the legs. I have a grin from ear to ear. My trusty Turner RFX handled everything on the trail even when we were running no lights and I couldn't see the stuff I was hitting. We call that riding by braille. These types of rides I will remember forever.

I love my Turner.

Flyin Canine
    anyone else got any ride stoke stories they want to share?

Turner Homer
    It is funny I too was riding my burner last night on a favorite trail of mine, and I remember thinking to myself in the almost pitch black woods, how much of a good bike my turner is. I also noticed how quick and nible the bike felt that night. I do too love my turner and night riding.
    Dave

Toby Wong?
    Amen, brotha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Shanedawg, I was riding in the rain the other day thinking the same thing. I was wet, cold, and had a smile on my face the whole time. I was having so much fun i didn't care about the weather. I love my Turner!!!!!

m
    I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction-B. Hussein Obama

... I guess you won't be
    my braille story occured during a 24 hr mtb race.....I had just bought a brand new Lume Strada wide beam and thought it was the catz azz. The night before the race we got a little crazy with beer and more beer and I forgot to charge my light - no problem, I had a quick charger. So a few hrs before my night lap, I plug er into an outlet we had our rockin boom box plugged into....

Dusk hits, and it's my turn to ride....I get to the top of the "mountain" [its michigan] and prepare to ride the last 20 minutes of trail - the really tight twisty switchbacky downhill oriented bit, before one hits the transfer/finishline area......I'm goin along, flick on my light and think the HID is really gonna crank......right before I go over the edge to the fun stuff, my light dims...and dims...and goes dark! Great....

So, I buck up, and resolve to just ride it out.....gradually my eyes adjust to where I can somewhat differentiate between the black darkness of the trail below me, and the not so black darkness of the leaf covered trail border......that's all I had to go on, but aside from a few "o'shite" moments, my spot and Z1 pulled me thru the darkside white knuckle ride from hell.....the only thing that really scared me came later when on my next fully lit lap, I realized I had ridden thru the gap between a chainsawed 2' diameter tree trunk that had fallen across the trail - I never knew it was there....that could have been ugly! Phew!

I'll never forget that one!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

No, that's not phonetic
    I obviously rode the poo out of my Pack in Utah. Since returning home I have ridden the Spot exclusively. Mainly because we got nailed by a freak late season snow dump and the Spot still had studded tires mounted. Anyway, the snow has melted and today I rode in SHORTS!!!! (this is big news for coastal Alaskans ). I rode the Pack again. I have it set to 7" . OMFG, It's like riding A FREAKING DH RIG! I totally dusted poor Barny. I just couldn't go slow. That thing is just soooooooo redicuplush.

Yes, I'm smitten.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    my story is slightly different. in the last few days i tackled a little over 70 miles of unrelenting east coast hills on a poorly fitting rental trek 2000 tuned around a bent hanger with worn out tires on beautiful country roads, drank way too much over several cocktail hours with my dad, his lovely wife and many family members and friends, ate way too many gloryously huge and wonderful meals and walked countless miles around arlington and downtown dc in dress shoes and a suit not to mention a full day at the smithsonian in more sensable footwear all with a increasingly sore ankle on too many flights of stairs to remember.

uppon returning home i delt with flight delays, turbulence, a key that would no longer work in my new cars reprogramed ignition forcing me to wait a hour in the airport parking lot for the new keys to be delivered leading to more delays getting home to see my sweet girl and loyal dog, spent 15 min chasing $15 from the car park shack into a fenced in field in 20 mph winds when the lady dropped my change, spent $30 replenishing the fuel the delership used drivin my car to have it repaired out of town. did i mention the time spent re fitting the seat the guy totally, and i mean totally dorked up to fit himself? asswhole!

after dinner with candycorn and 2 much deserved tall frosty libations, i finally made it home, far too tired and sore to ride but later on i did go back into the basement bike shop/museum to greet my steeds and bask in the glory that is fine mechanical engineering and true cycling passion. today i will ride one of these bikes with good friends on sweet singletrack and most likely share yet another round of deliciously cold beer with said pals.

i do indeed love my turners. thanx for the excuse to say so s-dawg.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've really enjoyed my Burner, great handling XC do-it-all bike, but it seems like one component after another has failed and the bike is always down so I haven't ridden it as much as I would like to since I bought it a year ago.

A few months after building it up I got hit by a car, the bike came out unscathed but I was not so fortunate, I was lucky to be alive actually! Started riding again last fall and immediately the manipoo stuck down, got an RP3 and started riding the Burner again, guess what? IT stuck down also after a month riding it. Got the shock issues sorted and then my 10 month old rear hub's axle cracked in half, down again! Larry took care of me with a new wheel and on the very next ride, SNAP!, my XO rear der's spring broke, down for another few weeks. Luckily I've had my Foes to ride during these down times and I've really enjoyed riding the extra suspension, the bike is just fun to ride, BUT now it has developed the dreaded bottoming others have talked about so now that bike is down.

So we had a ride planned last night which normally would call for my Foes but the ole Burner was called into service with some slight suspension tweaks, since the ride had an extended and steep DH I decided to use the TAS adj. on my Zoke and raised the fork to 120mm, the ETA was used for the climb up, I also had the fork and RP3 set to the softer compression setting. Climbing up the ETA made the front end feel right and on the way down the Burner handled everything that was thrown at it, what a great ride! The flats and rolling sections were a little funky with the fork extended and the ETA switched off but overall the ride was awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the Burner. Looking forward to more trouble free rides on my Turner, oh yeah, did I mention I'm also getting a new frame to replace the Foes? yep, it's a Turner also, ano. green RFX Hopefully getting it next week, can't wait!!

Hell from above

where in the bay area

where in the bay area did you ride,I live in the bay area to I live in in san jo

mtbr member

After a 20 Mile ride on the Flux...

I must say I Love my Turner.

And after a 20 Mile ride I must say, I love my beer too.

Last edited by xclr; 05-15-2006 at 03:17 AM.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by kornhole
    where in the bay area did you ride,I live in the bay area to I live in in san jo

For those that don't know the San Francisco bay area....there are way too many people cramed into too small of a place and all of them seem to care way too much about what everyone else is doing. This means night riding in most places is not legal. And the ones that are legal are few and far between. I'm not saying which type I was riding.

Toby Wong?
    Amen again, brotha. 2 hours of sweetness and stoke today!