how heavy are you ??

i am thinking (UGI)...

About getting a bigger fork for my 08' 5 Spot. I am on a RS Revelation (air) and like it ... sometimes I want to be more back on my seat for the descents AND more travel too. I live in Denver and ride XC/all mountain. My pack and I weigh about 265 on a good day. What are the suggestions? Or should I Push the thing and be done with it? My biggest complaint is that I have a King front hub/wheel that I like to keep going (keep cost down). So I am kinda on the fence.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Shoot Larry at mtnhighcyclery@comcast.net a email. I just went through what you are going through. He got me a great price on a Pike 454 air and a hand built Mavic wheel with a Hope front hub. It has transformed the front of my 08 Spot.
    I want a girl in a short skirt and a long jacket--------cake

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    About getting a bigger fork for my 08' 5 Spot. I am on a RS Revelation (air) and like it ... sometimes I want to be more back on my seat for the descents AND more travel too. I live in Denver and ride XC/all mountain. My pack and I weigh about 265 on a good day. What are the suggestions? Or should I Push the thing and be done with it? My biggest complaint is that I have a King front hub/wheel that I like to keep going (keep cost down). So I am kinda on the fence.
    Scott
    Push tuning is great, but you're still going to be left wanting more travel and it's not going to solve that issue. I know it would be ideal if you could keep that sweet King hub, but trust me, in the end having more travel and a through-axle is going to far outweigh keeping that. Once you ride it I don't think you'd regret that decision for a second.
    Front hub isn't somewhere you're going to really feel much performance difference (not like the rear). So even if budget requires going from a King to a Hope ProII or similar (could probably almost break even selling the King wheel and buying a new wheel with Hope hub) it will be well worth it in the end. Go for Pike, or wait a bit for the 09' Revelation w/ 20mm axle. At 265 you will really notice the difference in QR vs. 20mm. Spot with a 140mm through-axle fork is a great setup for front range riding.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    what they said.

hey larry. long time no see pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

gravity curmudgeon
    I have a Hope ProII hub up front. I matched it to a King rear because I didn't want to be limited by fork options. For a modest cost one can switch between QR, 20mm, or even the new Fox 15mm. One my 5spot I went with a 20mm thruaxle Pike. Great match to the 5spot. In retrospect, I would have been just fine with a 20mm front hub, because I'm never going back to QR.

Very happy with the ProII up front.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    I have a Hope ProII hub up front. I matched it to a King rear because I didn't want to be limited by fork options. For a modest cost one can switch between QR, 20mm, or even the new Fox 15mm. One my 5spot I went with a 20mm thruaxle Pike. Great match to the 5spot. In retrospect, I would have been just fine with a 20mm front hub, because I'm never going back to QR.

Very happy with the ProII up front.
    Second the Hope Pro II. And Larry builds killer wheels, I have been with the Pike and Pro II from Larry for two seasons now. No going back to QR.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also recommend Larry's wheels. I have two sets right now that I am using. At your weight, there is probably no better choice for the Spot than the Pike and the 20mm TA. The TALAS 150 with 15mm may be another good choice but it has not been released yet and may end up being OEM only.

The new Revelation is very Pike-like (heck, it may have the same lowers and internals) but has a slightly lighter Maxle- that one isn't out in the market either though. The Pike/Rev A-C is around 518 and the TALAS 150 at 150mm is 520mm. Your Revelation probably has a 508 A-C height at 130. I think the slightly taller A-C plus the stiffness of the 20mm TA will make a huge difference in the rough stuff. I have used the 130 Revelation U-Turn for a couple of seasons as well.

I still vote for the Pike. Mine has been trouble free and plush for the past year.

how heavy are you ??

i am on air now...

go to coil? Matched up with a RP 23 in the rear?

TLL
    mtbr member
    At 265 you want a TA. and the Hope is a fine hub, and very flexible what with all the adapters Hope makes.

I'll personally vouch for Larry's wheel building skillz . . . he built me a set of wheels with Hadley hubs and WTB rims and I couldn't be happier. They have required no touch up at all.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    go to coil?
    i wouldnt. stick with air/air or replace the rear to match for a balanced feel.
    No, I'm NOT back!