nocturnal oblivion

Hung the Spot and demoed a Mojo today

Rocking my new to me Turner jersey I left my 2010 5 Spot with the Ibis van and was given a blingy Mojo HD to try out at Annadel.
    The Mojo is definitely a firmer pedaler than the 5 Spot. It's transfer of energy when you hammer is impressive. I left the pro-pedal off the whole time and up technical rocky climbs it got the job done, but here was where the added firmness became a fault compared to the Spot. An active suspension is good on rocky ascents.
    For the most part it opened up nicely on the descents. Again the firmness was pronounced, giving a less than plush ride. The flip side to this was that it really likes to be hammered out of turns and through the small stuff.

At the end of the day I was happy with the performance, though I was definitely looking forward to the plushness of my 5 Spot. The added pedaling efficiency is awesome when hammering over small stuff or climbing less technical terrain. Where it lacks is on technical climbs, and you feel the trail a lot more on the descent, although it tracked just as well so by no means was it not active.

My 2 cent review, sorry there's no pics.

P.S.: Not selling my 5 Spot anytime soon. But it was a fun bike for sure.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good... I love my 5 spot and have always wondered if the HD is a bigger plusher version that will blow the turner out the water... I'm glad I went with the spot.

Committed
    Personally I found the Mojo HD to be too firm. It felt like it had less travel than my Spot, it was decently stiff laterally, and did pedal quite well. I was disappointed that it didn't have a more capable feel when pressed hard in the chunk. The HD skipped and chattered on repeated square edged impacts rather than settling into the travel and eating it up. The rear end did not hang up like some other bikes, but just didn't give a smooth controlled feeling ride. If you like your suspension very firm, the HD might be appealing but I like my bikes a bit more active.

Bike Snob
    What trails where you riding at Annadel?

Thinking about selling my Jersey BTW. Anyone?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    It's a few years since I rode at Annandel, I remember loving the Burma downhills though.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    What trails where you riding at Annadel?

Thinking about selling my Jersey BTW. Anyone?
    Up 2 quarry, down lawndale, up schultz, down the burmas.
    Second what 1soulrider said btw. I cross posted this in the Ibis forum if you're interested in their take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Personally I found the Mojo HD to be too firm. It felt like it had less travel than my Spot, it was decently stiff laterally, and did pedal quite well. I was disappointed that it didn't have a more capable feel when pressed hard in the chunk. The HD skipped and chattered on repeated square edged impacts rather than settling into the travel and eating it up. The rear end did not hang up like some other bikes, but just didn't give a smooth controlled feeling ride. If you like your suspension very firm, the HD might be appealing but I like my bikes a bit more active.
    I just wrote on the Knolly forum I thought the HD had too much platform built in and felt more skittish and less plush than my Rune despite having the same head angle. It did climb the non super chunky stuff well as you would expect...I would like to try the HD with a coil or perhaps my RP23 was not set up right or it needed shimming etc...

Bike Snob
    I was back this summer with my SS rigid, Burma down was a riot. Must have been awesome with some suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anyone else?

Direct, head to head comparison of the HD and the dw-link equipped 5 Spot, no especulating please. Just in case I ever get around to the RFX, I want to know what I have to shoot for.

Thanks stumble and 1 soul for the first hand insights. I am sure that the HD is an incredible bike, and I am not interested in slamming it. But I am interested in hearing what riders in differing terrain and perception think of these bikes. And if any have ridden the Firebird back to back with a Spot as that is also RFX class. Just so ya'll know, I KNOW the 5 Spot is not in the same class as these bikes, but it is my base line as there is no RFX at this time...ahem.

Thanks

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Its the shock that is on the HD that makes it feel too firm. Change that and it is a completely different animal. You will have more technical climbing traction and plushness than you know what to do with. Can't for the life of me understand why they spec the HD with that shock.

Team Sanchez
    I"m gonna have to agree with Squib. I have spent some time on an 09 DW Spot with a Push'd Monarch. I took it down Porc rim. I was blown away at how much better it felt than my Carbon Nomad with Vivid Air. Fast forward several months, and I am now on an Ibis Mojo HD with a stock Monarch Plus. The shock has a low compression mid robound tune. I haven't taken it down Porc yet, but it feels awesome on my local chunk. It climbs as well as the Nomad, but heads and tails better in the chunk. Had the 2012 Spots been available, that would have been my first choice, but the Ibis is bad to the bone so far. The RFX is still on my wish list!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hung the Spot and demoed a Mojo today-ibis1.jpg  

Hung the Spot and demoed a Mojo today-ibis2.jpg  

Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Just in case I ever get around to the RFX,

I'm gonna wash your filthy wordhole out with soap for that kind of talk.

Here's the RFX. The engineers will know what to do with it.

STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I'm gonna wash your filthy wordhole out with soap for that kind of talk.
    My sentiments (sort of) exactly. What I walked away thinking was "man that thing could pedal, but it's rough on anything more than a short ride." I thought Ibis was going for a VERY race tuned feel.
    5 Spot plush with a very firm propedal switch #3? Sounds intriguing to me... There's absolutely no reason one can't run propedal on the way down ya know, it's just LSC.

mtbr member
    I owned an 09 and 10 Spot and felt the rear to be just as plush on those as the HD but again it seems like the rear shock was all wrong on the HD I demoed! I would love to try an 11 or 12 Spot since it is slacker - DT as I have said 100 times your average punter just needs a 6 Spot - not a mini dh/freeride bike like the RFX you plan to make - would it not be easier to bump rear travel to 150mm or 160mm and give it a 66.5 HA with a 160mm or 170mm fork and call it done? or is it more complicated than that? For example you can get a 140mm and 160mm Mojo HD.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Super secret

Direct, head to head comparison of the HD and the dw-link equipped 5 Spot, no especulating please. Just in case I ever get around to the RFX, I want to know what I have to shoot for.

Thanks stumble and 1 soul for the first hand insights. I am sure that the HD is an incredible bike, and I am not interested in slamming it. But I am interested in hearing what riders in differing terrain and perception think of these bikes. And if any have ridden the Firebird back to back with a Spot as that is also RFX class. Just so ya'll know, I KNOW the 5 Spot is not in the same class as these bikes, but it is my base line as there is no RFX at this time...ahem.

Thanks

DT
    Can you let us know why the RFX is not being built? I would definitely get around to if before you lose even more market share in the big hit market but it is your company.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Can you let us know why the RFX is not being built? I would definitely get around to if before you lose even more market share in the big hit market but it is your company.
    Because the design has not been economically feasible, he answered that already.

30-ton War Machine
    who here has ridden an '11 Spot with a 36/CCDB on it? Aside from Toons, that is... The Spot is stiff as ****, pedals like a bastard and eats up nearly everything you throw in front of it. I am not a rider the level of superstock or, 1soulrider but, I really think a Spot with another 20mm of travel in the rear wouldn't be that much of a difference. Where I see other bikes giving up when you push them is in lateral stiffness, the Spot doesn't do that. The two fellas I cited earlier have both ridden the RFX-proto and could speak to it more than I but, I see a lot of keyboard jockeyBBMF'ers that "think" they need more travel to ride their local bunny hills. I don't see the point in David spending a butt-ton of dough to make a tweener.
    Isaac

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Could be

Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Because the design has not been economically feasible, he answered that already.
    But the big boys are making rocking big hit bikes that are just about antiquating the need for a super cool American made bike. I would just say the heck with it and make a slightly beefier 6" bike called the 6 Spot (Oh, I guess that has been done ). But what the heck do you I know about a bike company?

mtbr member
    OK, but who needs 6(7?)spot ? AFAIR the most common modification in 6-pack/RFX was building 5-pack with Spot's rear and rockers. Sure - the main reason for this mod was to lower the BB and slacken HA, but nobody (including myself) complained on reduced travel. With slacker HA, 160mm fork, ISCG, X12 and piggyback clearance 2012 5-spot fills the bill for 99% of AM duties. Only few riders can honestly say, that 5-spot is limiting their riding.
    Also I believe RFX become a kind of holy grail for many Hommers, but in real life it wouldn't sell even near as good as Spot or Sultan. Highline was super capable bigAM/FR rig, but the market for top quality bike build for trashing and smashing appeared to be very small - kids who usually do this kind of riding simply can't afford premium bike, and 30+ riders prefer either trail/Am or full time DH bike. Designing and producing new model just to sell few hundreds frames may be totally unprofitable.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by serhij View Post
    OK, but who needs 6(7?)spot ? AFAIR the most common modification in 6-pack/RFX was building 5-pack with Spot's rear and rockers. Sure - the main reason for this mod was to lower the BB and slacken HA, but nobody (including myself) complained on reduced travel. With slacker HA, 160mm fork, ISCG, X12 and piggyback clearance 2012 5-spot fills the bill for 99% of AM duties.
    Also I believe RFX become a kind of holy grail for many Hommers, but in real life it wouldn't sell even near as good as Spot or Sultan. Highline was super capable bigAM/FR rig, but the market for top quality bike build for trashing and smashing appeared to be very small - kids who usually do this kind of riding simply can't afford premium bike, and 30+ riders prefer either trail/Am or full time DH bike. Designing and producing new model just to sell few hundreds frames may be totally unprofitable.
    Where do you live exactly?

Burly 6-7 inch travel bikes are everywhere, ridden by lots and lots of people from 15-45 years old. And when I say burly, I don't mean long travel xc bikes.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Just let Dave make his groovey RFX

When it comes out, I'm sure you all will be selling your existing bikes and getting his new RFX. Just enjoy the ride in the meantime.....

mtbr member
    DT - just make a 7 Spot (or 6.5 Spot).

- Coil shock.

- 160-180mm forks

- Slackish angles.

I rode my beefed-up 5 Spot in Morzine/Les Gets this summer and ran into your RFX Prototype there.. didn't get to talk to the rider, but studying the look of the proto it looked very similar to what I describe above.. a beefier, longer travel, slacker version of the 5 Spot.

Having come off the back of 4 seasons on WC-level DH bikes I honestly felt my beefed-up DW Spot was awesome.. . very fast, light, flickable, great handling. The 8-10lbs weight saving over my Orange 224 Evo was a joy and significantly contributed to increased speed and less fatigue over the course of the days/week. On the DW Spot I had no problems at all keeping up with my group who were all on full-on DH rigs - Oranges, Specialized's, Katipo's, etc..

I would've preferred a slacker head angle which would've added a little more stability (well, quite a lot more stability I think) and another inch to inch-and-a-half more travel.

Mine is a 2010 DW Spot which I configured with coil Lyriks (160mm), Mavic EX721 DH wheelset, dual-ply DH tyres, Saint gruppo, 50mm stem, 711mm bars, flats, close ratio cassette, single ring/chainguide, big brakes etc... basically everything off my Orange 224 Evo except the forks.

It ripped!

I'll definitely be taking it back again in 2012.
    Last edited by Digger90; 11-16-2011 at 02:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Well,
    That RFX thing is like a moving target,
    We just don't know when will DT get TIRED of chasing that,
    Hoping it will come out soon
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Where do you live exactly?
    Good point, I don't live in mountains, so keeping big hit/DH bike is total overkill on my local paths. But that's just me. Besides I used to race in DH contests, and many of my friends living in the mountains ride only XC/trail, so I believe if you really want to ride big bike living in the lowlands is not a debarring factor. The rider's age seems to be more important when considering target group for each bike class.

Burly 6-7 inch travel bikes are everywhere, ridden by lots and lots of people from 15-45 years old. And when I say burly, I don't mean long travel xc bikes.
    OK, but we're talking about starting new, pricey bike by boutique brand in really bad economy. This kind of project has to have very strong economical foundations. The fact, that Highline lasted only for 2-3 years shows, that it's not that simple to sell premium big hit bike. Bike that can be built either as a trailbike or as a AM/enduro rig fills the bill for much wider client group.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger90 View Post
    DT - just make a 7 Spot (or 6.5 Spot).

- Coil shock.

- 160-180mm forks

- Slackish angles.
    eeeyup

That's pretty much how I see it. A freeride bike. Let the seat riding crowd build their little trailbikes out of it with underbuilt wheels if they have to.

mtbr member
    eeeyup

That's pretty much how I see it. A freeride bike. Let the seat riding crowd build their little trailbikes out of it with underbuilt wheels if they have to.
    haha Digger mentioned two aspects of 5spot-AM-riding case, you picked only one. The second looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger90 View Post
    Having come off the back of 4 seasons on WC-level DH bikes I honestly felt my beefed-up DW Spot was awesome.. . very fast, light, flickable, great handling. The 8-10lbs weight saving over my Orange 224 Evo was a joy and significantly contributed to increased speed and less fatigue over the course of the days/week. On the DW Spot I had no problems at all keeping up with my group who were all on full-on DH rigs - Oranges, Specialized's, Katipo's, etc..

mtbr member
    The 160mm bike is the new 140mm (Trek slash, Commercal Meta AM etc etc)! Lets face it 160 downhill is always going to be faster than140

160mm, low bb to rail the corners, slaaaaaaaaaaack, 160\180 forks and carbon

DT you need to be more radical than the HD; the Intense SS2 is THE most fun bike I've ever ridden, it does the lot, trail, enduro, park, DH and with lot & lots of smiles.
    Last edited by Jamie_MTB; 11-16-2011 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member

Thanks

DT
    Hey Dave,
    I rode the Mojo HD for a good spell at I-bike and have a 2010 5 Spot with a 160mm coil and pretty capable wheels/tires. In a lot of ways I think the HD is more comparable to the 160 forked Spot than some other 160-170mm AM bikes (Or where I think you're headed with the RFX). It is very stiff laterally, light, and responsive. It shoots forward when you stand and mash... maybe even a bit better than my 5 Spot.

I thought it felt as plush or a bit plusher and deeper than my 5 Spot on choppy downs and tracked a little better (disclaimer: I have some side-to-side flex/wobble in my 5 Spot caused by the wheel bearings and fork bushings) but it's definitely not in the same league as my Delirium T...although it does feel more solid and "AM" than many light weight 6 inch bikes I've ridden. It also felt plusher and stayed glued to the terrain better than the Firebird I rode a couple of years ago.

In addition to the HD, I think your sites need to be set on the Chilcotin/Delirium and G-Spot with the new RFX.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    OK, but who needs 6(7?)spot ? AFAIR the most common modification in 6-pack/RFX was building 5-pack with Spot's rear and rockers. Sure - the main reason for this mod was to lower the BB and slacken HA, but nobody (including myself) complained on reduced travel. With slacker HA, 160mm fork, ISCG, X12 and piggyback clearance 2012 5-spot fills the bill for 99% of AM duties. Only few riders can honestly say, that 5-spot is limiting their riding.
    I agree! What I would like to see is a Mini DHR. The current DHR is a World Cup level DH race rig how about a DHR with 7" of travel and a little shorter wheel base and a base HA of 65-66deg. I think of it as a Cat 2 level DH rig. kind of what Transition does with the TR 450 and Tr 250 very much like my 01' DHR.

Now with flavor!!
    haha Digger mentioned two aspects of 5spot-AM-riding case, you picked only one. The second looks like this:

5 spots already exist. Ready to be beefed up or lightened up.

I already have a beefed up 5 spot.

I'm talking about a different bike.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 11-16-2011 at 08:27 AM.

~~~~~~~~
    Thats funny man, after 45 everyone should switch to sitting downhill riding long travel xc bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey KRob

did you ride the GSpot? I checked the spec's and it seems too tall, sa too slack, ha too steep, bb too tall and travel too short. It looks strong though!

~~~~~~~~

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    What the hell is a 'Bandid?'

30-ton War Machine
    It is what you put on bewbew's and scwapes.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The 5 Spot is really the Cadillac of the 5.5 bikes out there. It feels soft up and down but is not in a hurry to get anywhere, which is fine for a trail bike. I would love to try a HD and see how that bad boy feels...

mtbr member
    did you ride the GSpot? I checked the spec's and it seems too tall, sa too slack, ha too steep, bb too tall and travel too short. It looks strong though!

We did ride the G-Spot. We liked it a lot. I wonder if they haven't updated the specs for the 2012 model yet because I woulda bet it was slacker and lower than what's listed on their site.

Travel 6"
    HA 67"
    BB 14"
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I would love to try a HD and see how that bad boy feels...
    Please do, post accordingly on Ibex... and stay there.

Good luck to you man, take the neg-karma else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    I agree! What I would like to see is a Mini DHR.
    No exactly what I ment, but OK, have it your way .

mtbr member
    5 spots already exist. Ready to be beefed up or lightened up.

I already have a beefed up 5 spot.

I'm talking about a different bike.
    Yes, you're right. My point is that IMHO there may be no place in Turner's lineup (at least not enough market) for premium (in quality and price) big hit bike, since beefed up 5spot "almost" feels all the bills for aggressive riding. RFX, Bullit, old Uzzi - these bikes were built in a time when freeride was defined by riders like Josh Bender, Tyler Klassen, Thomas Vanderham etc. Now freeride is more about slopestyle. Darren Berrecloth, Cam McCaul and others ride bikes much closer to beefed up Spot than old school RFX. Sure, the are many guys waiting for RFX, "RFX placeholder" seems like a new MTB class . Even though I honestly don't believe that RFX would sell like a hot cakes and starting this project is a bit of a risk in this down economy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

SB66 vs MOJO HD

I spent some time on both the XL carbon Mojo HD and XL SB66; same trail, same day, same suspension. The Mojo was stiff, stable, and climbs well, but the SB66 is the new benchmark. While the HD had a better build and was more dialed (it was Tom's bike from Ibis), the SB66 was more fun and responsive, purely based on geomoetry. I threw a few baby wips on the 66 and it felt much more stable through the rock gardens. Overall the HD felt more solid and stout due to the carbon, yet the 66 more closely matches Turner's old sizing philosophy. I'm 200cm; 6'6", 86kg; 190lbs, and a ride DH and AM regularly. I'm holding out to compare the RFX to the Carbon SB66. The bottom line is that it comes down to the fit; I don't like running a 120mm stem on an AM/FR bike. If the RFX has a 660mm VTT with 160mm fork, I'm sold! It has been years since I rode a 5 spot so I can't give a fair comparision.

Bike geometry in mm below:

BIKE.....FORK..........TT.....Stem.....Cockpit.... .Shock.........Sag.....BB.....WB.....Travel.....HA
    SB66......Fox 36 160..663..+..90....=....753.......Fox RP 23.......25%....312....1204.....152.4.....65.9
    HD.........Fox 36 160..625..+..120...=....745.......Fox RP 23.......30%....305....1156.....160........67

Note: BB values include recommended sag.
    Last edited by burgundy snake; 11-17-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: BB Note

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy snake View Post
    I'm holding out to compare the RFX to the Carbon SB66. .
    How long have you set aside for that exercise?

Committed
    I spent some time on both the XL carbon Mojo HD and XL SB66; same trail, same day, same suspension. The Mojo was stiff, stable, and climbs well, but the SB66 is the new benchmark. While the HD had a better build and was more dialed (it was Tom's bike from Ibis), the SB66 was more fun and responsive, purely based on geomoetry. I threw a few baby wips on the 66 and it felt much more stable through the rock gardens. Overall the HD felt more solid and stout due to the carbon, yet the 66 more closely matches Turner's old sizing philosophy. I'm 200cm; 6'6", 86kg; 190lbs, and a ride DH and AM regularly. I'm holding out to compare the RFX to the Carbon SB66. The bottom line is that it comes down to the fit; I don't like running a 120mm stem on an AM/FR bike. If the RFX has a 660mm VTT with 160mm fork, I'm sold! It has been years since I rode a 5 spot so I can't give a fair comparision.

Bike geometry in mm below:

BIKE.....FORK..........TT.....Stem.....Cockpit.... .Shock.........Sag.....BB.....WB.....Travel.....HA
    SB66......Fox 36 160..663..+..90....=....753.......Fox RP 23.......25%....312....1204.....152.4.....65.9
    HD.........Fox 36 160..625..+..120...=....745.......Fox RP 23.......30%....305....1156.....160........67

Note: BB values include recommended sag.

Spent some time on the SB66 as well. I found the bike performed quite well. The suspention was very good, and I had yet to be impressed with any of Yeti's past pedal bike suspention designs.
    The only real issue I had with the 66 was that it had a Fox 32 150 up front that took away from the capable feel of the frame.

mtbr member
    I currently own a CCDB, Fox Float Knolly Delirium.... and I recently demoed air shock, 160mm Float SB-66, which was solid. Considering the cockpit was not ideal - the bike railed and handled a 15 (gap) footer with zero issue.

Kiwi that Flew
    New RFX = Enduro EVO.
    Correct me if I have missed the mark fellow Homers, but it should the rfx be an Enduro evo killer?

The last prototype was pretty much exactly what I would like to buy. Comparing the geo of the two is interesting though as the evo has much longer reach. (I have never ridden an evo, and am currently rebuilding my 5Spot from trail to a more AM spec with 160 fork, wider rims, bigger tyres. I would buy a RFX today if it was available)

Just my 2pence worth (equals about 3.2cents)...

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    How long have you set aside for that exercise?
    Lucky for me I have DW Sultan and RFX placeholder handy so I'm not in any rush. Given that neither the carbon SB-66, nor RFX exist yet, we all will have to wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    New RFX = Enduro EVO.
    Correct me if I have missed the mark fellow Homers, but it should the rfx be an Enduro evo killer?

--- deanopatoni ---
    RFX > Enduro EVO!

It is interesting how the reach on many major brands are stretching, GIANT, SPECIALIZED, YETI... others will follow. An Intense rep said that the bikes that are being demoed the most are biased to the large and long sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lucky for me I have DW Sultan and RFX placeholder handy so I'm not in any rush. Given that neither the carbon SB-66, nor RFX exist yet, we all will have to wait.
    Yes, it will be interesting to read riders' impressions of the carbon SB66 along with their pondering how the RFX would compare, if it were out.

Yes, that's fonetic
    RFX > Enduro EVO!
    This will only become debatable when both bikes actually exist.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    True

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    The only real issue I had with the 66 was that it had a Fox 32 150 up front that took away from the capable feel of the frame.
    Exactly! I really don't understand why they designed the stock geometry around a 520mm a2c fork, with all the compromises in damping quality and stiffness. With a 545mm fork the bike gets way too slack for general trail use, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Yes, you're right. My point is that IMHO there may be no place in Turner's lineup (at least not enough market) for premium (in quality and price) big hit bike, since beefed up 5spot "almost" feels all the bills for aggressive riding. RFX, Bullit, old Uzzi - these bikes were built in a time when freeride was defined by riders like Josh Bender, Tyler Klassen, Thomas Vanderham etc. Now freeride is more about slopestyle. Darren Berrecloth, Cam McCaul and others ride bikes much closer to beefed up Spot than old school RFX. Sure, the are many guys waiting for RFX, "RFX placeholder" seems like a new MTB class . Even though I honestly don't believe that RFX would sell like a hot cakes and starting this project is a bit of a risk in this down economy.
    Hmm...I never regarded my all coil 06' RFX as a freeride bike at all. Yes it was strong and very reliable like a FR should be (did manage to crack a couple sets of rocker plates though), but was nothing more than a tall, plushy, heavy duty trail bike to me that I pretty much rode everywhere. I think of the next RFX as a very pedable AM bike that can pushed pretty hard going both up and down in most any terrain as needed/wanted (riding with pretty much no limitations on just about any trail for the most part). And yes, I think there definitely is a market for this, just look how many people are trying to get their hands on a Chilcotin and how well the SB-66 has been selling this past year (even though that is more 5 Spot class of bike that is just a bit slacker with 160 fork and more travel. Closest thing to a "6 Spot" out there right now, IMO and I am very interested in it at the moment for AM/trail shredder).

BTW....DT, I demoe'd a 12' G-Spot about a month ago and have ridden a few HD's on same local trails (Post Canyon - Hood River, OR). Been riding a Banshee Rune for the past 2yrs and an RFX prior to that for four years and I thought of the G-Spot as more of FR bike in feel with a pretty good pedalling platform that begged to be jumped on just about anything (pretty well made, stout, heavy'ish frame). I felt the HD rode pretty great as a very well rounded AM bike to me. It climbs quite well, accelerates in/out corners phenomenally with enough travel to soften the load when riding the trails fast while still being very snappy and responsive. At the end of the day, I prefered my current bike (Rune) to the G-Spot (that is set up with HTA at 66*, STA 71, BB 13.7"). My Rune just feels more versatile with better climbing/pedalling ability than the G-Spot, but still allows to get a bit rowdy on the trail descents when I want to. Whereas, the HD felt even a bit better than the Rune descending wise (faster on the corners and little more plush in its travel, both with air shock). I imagine the upcoming RFX to be something like this, a little more plush in travel and much stronger more solid of a frame with much more reliable and ease of maintenance of the pivots/bushings than of my Rune. At least that is what I am hoping for. But, looks like I might be onto to placeholder #2 here pretty soon .
    Last edited by jgusta; 11-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Ride On!

Committed
    Having ridden both of those bikes, I felt the RFX was more capable up and down the hill than the Enduro Evo.

The SB 66 was a fun bike but felt more like a slightly longer travel Spot than an RFX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Having ridden both of those bikes, I felt the RFX was more capable up and down the hill than the Enduro Evo.

The SB 66 was a fun bike but felt more like a slightly longer travel Spot than an RFX.
    Where did you get a production RFX?

Yes, that's fonetic

So we can assume the much anticipated final iteration of the bike will be the same as the prototype you rode? I was under the assumption that it was still 'in development'.

mtbr member

I can see that and maybe why I regard the SB66 the closest thing to a "6 Spot" out there right now and why I am intrigued in one for most of my trail/AM duties. I have been riding 6" travel bikes for most of my trail duties for about 8yrs now and don't like the feel of 5 or 5.5" travel bikes, so think a 6-Spot type of bike would be well receieved, by me at least.
    Ride On!

Committed
    So we can assume the much anticipated final iteration of the bike will be the same as the prototype you rode? I was under the assumption that it was still 'in development'.
    Obviously I can't speak of the production RFX as it isn't here yet. I will say that I doubt it's abilities and quality of ride will be diminished in the final version.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Thanks for the reply 1sr, I guess I should've known it would be no less than any of the prototypes. Sometimes I guess I can be a bit dim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Obviously I can't speak of the production RFX as it isn't here yet. I will say that I doubt it's abilities and quality of ride will be diminished in the final version.
    That's because you have the final version!

mtbr member
    I would assume the last proto RFX is close to what a production one would be and the real issue is where it will be manufactured and how much it will cost, no?

Committed
    Thanks for the reply 1sr, I guess I should've known it would be no less than any of the prototypes. Sometimes I guess I can be a bit dim.
    Its all good.