mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Hubs: WTB Laser Disc Super Duty or DT Swiss Onyx?

Hey all! Really need your help deciding between Hubs for a custom wheel build from Universalcycles for my 5 Spot. It's a really matter of deciding between WTB Laser Disc Super duty or DT Swiss Onyx Front & Rear. I've researched both and there seems to be a lot of concern regarding rear hub durability. Anyone have any experience with the two? So far my build looks like this:

DT Swiss Ex 5.1 Rims
    Dt Swiss Competition Double butted 14 gauge Spokes
    Brass Nipples
    Rear Hub?
    Front Hub?

Any input is appreciated!

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by whipcord
    Hey all! Really need your help deciding between Hubs for a custom wheel build from Universalcycles for my 5 Spot. It's a really matter of deciding between WTB Laser Disc Super duty or DT Swiss Onyx Front & Rear. I've researched both and there seems to be a lot of concern regarding rear hub durability. Anyone have any experience with the two? So far my build looks like this:

DT Swiss Ex 5.1 Rims
    Dt Swiss Competition Double butted 14 gauge Spokes
    Brass Nipples
    Rear Hub?
    Front Hub?

Any input is appreciated!

I know both you and I will get ripped for this because they aren't kings or hadleys, but I like my WTB's. I have the Laser Disc Lites F/R and they have held up well. Going on 2 years and no problems. They are light and inexpensive.

Can't comment on the DT's.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    I know both you and I will get ripped for this because they aren't kings or hadleys, but I like my WTB's. I have the Laser Disc Lites F/R and they have held up well. Going on 2 years and no problems. They are light and inexpensive.

Can't comment on the DT's.
    I've had the Onyx F/R since 1/05 and so far so good. My LBS just cleaned and regreased the rear hub. Seems good as new.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I have been running the Onyx front and rear since 2002. Regreasing the body is a simple task, just take off the casette, loose the bolts on either side (with a normal tool [if your regard mm to be normal], no special thin wrench is needed or other special tools), then pull out the axle and pull off the body (be careful not to loose any roller in the inner body bearing).

After three years in wet service (some 2-300h each year) the body failed but spare parts ($12) and service was a small matter. Hurt my knee though. I got some photos at home if you're interested. Send me a PM if so, I might not check this thread again.

My only beef with them is that it has not that many engagement points, my riding has evolved quite a bit the last three years so they start to be an annoyance in technical terrain, where you track stand alot to regain balance and find the line over large rocks. Especially on climbs.

Other than that they're great! The seals hold up really well. Extremely well. Two thumbs up!

However, my next rear hub will have more engagement points. Hope to find something with the same quality, especially considering the sealings! My hubs take regular baths on my rides...

Oh, and the QR on the front hub is worn out. But hey! Three+ years! And I take off the wheels often.

And King, well, they ain't worth that much money unless you're into trials (not trails) - IMHO.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mtbr member
    Also, if you lube the body with Prep-M the ratchet becomes silent but works equally fine. I like my bikes silent, not like a hord of angry wasps.

Some thinner grease is recommended how-ever. But I like the silence... Makes it more easy to become one with the trail - the feeling I love and ride for.
    Regards,

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I have one set of wheels with WTB LL hubs and another with Kings. Both have held up well. I believe Tscheezy has some LL hubs also. I use the Kings more because they are built onto heavier rims (DS28). I also kind of like the buzz. I miss it when are not on the bike and really don't notice it when they are on. That being said,most people are put off with King pricing. Hadley seems to be most popular now, but it's hard to beat the quality of a King product.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Living the Dream

Have you thought about the Hope XC Hubs?

I think they are cheeper & better than the DT hubs. I have had mine for 2.5 years and they're going strong. I would cally Larry @MTN High or Chad @ Red Barn Cycles. They are both excellent wheelbuilders with good prices.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'v been on a set of WTB Laser Disc Lites for over a year with no problems (40-50 mi/week). Haven't touched them and the rear hub seems to roll smoother now that when it was new. Don't know about the durability for bigger drops or really mucky conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the replys everyone! Still a bit curious about the WTB though. The WTB Website indicates they have a No fault -Warranty?

Team Sanchez
    I am running a WTB on the back of my VP FRee, and within 6 months, the bearings were shot. Might I recommend the DT Swiss FR hubs? Can't get right has been abusing the Onyx for some time now, and they work like a charm. My WTB is being replaced next week with a Gold Hadley! Bling Bling....

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I am running a WTB on the back of my VP FRee, and within 6 months, the bearings were shot. Might I recommend the DT Swiss FR hubs? Can't get right has been abusing the Onyx for some time now, and they work like a charm. My WTB is being replaced next week with a Gold Hadley! Bling Bling....
    Did you really put a Laserdisclite hub on your VP free? If so, that might have been asking for trouble. Those hubs are really designed for XC.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Were those the WTB Super Duty?

mtbr member
    Diged out a pic of the failed part of my DT Onyx anno 2002, remember that this was after three years of hard work. I don't treat my rear hub nicely with my 90 kg and steep climbs. It failed during an all out effort up a technical slope - and that's when I learned to use knee armour on the climbs as well!

Once a year (aprox. 300h) I tear the body down for cleaning and regreasing, the grease on the bearings always look like new but the grease on the innermost bearing in the body is contaminated at that time. And I pedal through mud and high water constantly, Sweden is not the driest of places!

Regards,

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Super Duty models are too new to have much feedback on them. The cassette mechanism on the Lite models (see also American Classic) have had some problems, but WTB has a warrenty replacement program in place for the components in question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the Pic TNT! It's much appreciated! I've been reading about a lot of problems with the WTB LL and that Warranty Program isn't as easy as it sounds according to reviews. I called WTB directly and the individual I spoke to didn't even know anything about a No-Fault Warrant, despite being listed on their site with the hubs. Looks like the the Onyx are my first choice!