mtbr member
    Mar 2004

how much travel is my spot getting really?

It just dawned on me that If I buy a 5 inch travel bike I am really only getting a 4" or 4.5" travel bike because of sag.....right? so if I really wanted a full 5" of usable travel I should have gotten a 6" travel bike.....right?
    my romic measures almost eggzactly 7.5" i2i and I have it set up so it sags .5" when I sit down on it. ( from 7.5" i2i to 7" i2i) my shock stroke is about 2" how am I supposed to know how much of my 5 inch travel am I using up when my romic sags .5"? I feel cheated.

No, that's not phonetic
    Don't run any sag. There, you have a full, measured, 5 inches.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    so if I really wanted a full 5" of usable travel I should have gotten a 6" travel bike.....right?
    You're still using the full 5". When you ride over depressions on the trail, your suspension extends to "fill" the holes and keep your ride smooth. So you're not cheated of travel, think of it as negative travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    You're still using the full 5". When you ride over depressions on the trail, your suspension extends to "fill" the holes and keep your ride smooth. So you're not cheated of travel, think of it as negative travel.
    Right...thats what the rebound is for , to make sure the shock extends fast enough when compressed to bring it back to full extension giving you the full amount of travel.......i think... it was explained to me once before from chris @ titus..made sense just dont know how to word like he did

Toby Wong?
    oh please.

Lay off the Levers
    It just dawned on me that If I buy a 5 inch travel bike I am really only getting a 4" or 4.5" travel bike because of sag.....right? so if I really wanted a full 5" of usable travel I should have gotten a 6" travel bike.....right?
    my romic measures almost eggzactly 7.5" i2i and I have it set up so it sags .5" when I sit down on it. ( from 7.5" i2i to 7" i2i) my shock stroke is about 2" how am I supposed to know how much of my 5 inch travel am I using up when my romic sags .5"? I feel cheated.
    I believe Giant makes a bike that runs with out sag. It pedals great, bob free. But I've read that it is at the expense of some plushness and small bump sensitivity.

Sag is good, most vehicular suspention systems use it. It not only fills the gap on uneven ground, it extends during drops and launches, and then you are using the full 5".

Ever see those nasty off road truck races? when those monsters launch, their wheels droop about a foot(or more), and when they hit the ground they land like a wet sponge...it's a beautiful thing to watch. That's what sag is doing for you.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    oh please.
    Say pretty please with sugar on top.

mtbr member
    Sag is very important for a good riding trail bike. Without sag your suspension would skip across rough sections of trail much more then with sag. It also helps bikes track the ground when braking. On a 5" bike sag would normally be set about 25% to 30% or about 1/2" to 5/8" of shock travel.

If you really want a bike that has 5" of positive travel after sag, you will need to step up to about a 7" bike. 30% sag on a 7" bike will leave you with about 5" of remaining travel. Keep in mind that the more travel you have usually the greater % goes to sag. Example: 4" bike runs 20% - 25% and a 9" bike runs 35% to 40%.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member

Yup, correct

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I believe Giant makes a bike that runs with out sag. It pedals great, bob free. But I've read that it is at the expense of some plushness and small bump sensitivity.

Sag is good, most vehicular suspention systems use it. It not only fills the gap on uneven ground, it extends during drops and launches, and then you are using the full 5".

Ever see those nasty off road truck races? when those monsters launch, their wheels droop about a foot(or more), and when they hit the ground they land like a wet sponge...it's a beautiful thing to watch. That's what sag is doing for you.

You are correct sir, its called the NRS, and it is rough on small bumps, but does climb quite well. Rode one for a summer a few years back when they came out. Nice bikes, good price, just rough without the sag.