Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Truckboy

How much is my 04 5.Spot worth?

I have a well-loved 5 Spot medium frame with upgraded (from Romic coil) RP23 and Chris King headset. Well-loved means like the velveteen rabbit. There's a couple good dings on the downtube and toptube and some chainsuck munch. Functionally it's fine. Everything I described is cosmetic.

This is the Horst link spot, with original 5" travel rockers, not 5.5 or 5.75. Painted rear triangle too.

I know people love these things. I do too but I bought a Mach5 last year. I don't need two 5" travel bikes.

What do you guys think this thing is worth? More than the trade in from Turner?

Outcast
    500 bucks

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Aging Wannabee
    More than the trade in from Turner?
    No. I think its worth exactly what the frame trade in would be. If you had a ROMIC to put on it for the trade in, you could sell the shock and come out a little better but I don't think you'll get more than the $500 trade in.

Truckboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    No. I think its worth exactly what the frame trade in would be. If you had a ROMIC to put on it for the trade in, you could sell the shock and come out a little better but I don't think you'll get more than the $500 trade in.
    I still have the romic. I would put it back on and sell the rp23 separately if I trade in. Seems a shame to trade in what was such a popular frame though.

Large member
    In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 03-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.

illiterate or intoxicated
    Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Large member
    I knew I could count on you Windhoar

Apologies for the hijack Aging Wannabee (that isn't a pseudonym for Cutthroat, is it?). Much as I hate to agree with Renegade on any subject other than booze and hookers, I think he's right on the price.

illiterate or intoxicated
    Emphasis on Gstaad.

How much is the gun?
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Large member
    You like it, the Jamie Lee Curtis mirror scene?

Truckboy
    Not a problem. I just want to know where the quotes come from. for some reason it made me think of "Vacation" & the family truckster.

Large member
    Here's a clue:

Pawnbroker: Burnt my fingers, man.
    Louis Winthorpe III: I beg your pardon?
    Pawnbroker: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
    Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
    Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?
    Louis Winthorpe III: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
    Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Just give me the money.
    Louis Winthorpe III: [looking in display case] How much for the gun?

mtbr member
    OP if you want another turner trade in is the only way to go....if you don't $400-$500 if clean 08 Spots and 08 RFX's are going for $700

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Seems a shame to trade in what was such a popular frame though.
    Yep, I agree. I just bought a 04 1/2 Spot that was in really good condition with a RP3 and 5.5 Rockers for less than the trade in and was thrilled to have it. People want the new stuff, and this frame is not only 6 years old but its also not DW link which is guaranteed to make you faster, thinner, have more hair and have women throw themselves at you.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Here's a clue:

Pawnbroker: Burnt my fingers, man.
    Louis Winthorpe III: I beg your pardon?
    Pawnbroker: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
    Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
    Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?
    Louis Winthorpe III: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
    Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Just give me the money.
    Louis Winthorpe III: [looking in display case] How much for the gun?
    I think it's been 20 years since I saw that movie. A winner!.

Truckboy
    I can't believe I didn't get that. How many times did HBO have it on heavy rotation while I was in college. Jeez. Now if youda said "Merry New Year" or 'I'm karate man. I bruise on the inside" I definitely woulda caught on.

But regarding the original thread, I guess my choice is either rebuild it (we have the technology), or put it up for 500.

try driving your car less
    Last year I bought one of these, and if this were a large i would buy yours to keep as a second bike at the inlaws. if you trade it in they cut it up. if you sell it, you will get someone on a turner and make them happy. if you want to maximize your money keep the headset and shock and put the old one on there.

Looking good, Billy Ray!
    Feeling good, Louis!
    Only boring people get bored.

Outcast
    I can't believe I didn't get that. How many times did HBO have it on heavy rotation while I was in college. Jeez. Now if youda said "Merry New Year" or 'I'm karate man. I bruise on the inside" I definitely woulda caught on.

But regarding the original thread, I guess my choice is either rebuild it (we have the technology), or put it up for 500.
    It can be rebuilt! Better than before! Faster!
    I bought an '04 5 spot frame last winter, and built the bike below. Get yourself some 5.5 rockers, a 140mm travel fork, a modern rear shock, and voila!:

Truckboy
    That's basically what I had until I bought a brand new Mach5. Now I have the Pike on the Mach5 because the Fox that came with it is inferior. Maybe I need some 5.75" rockers and a 7" fork. Already got some DH/FR wheels. All that plus the Ti Romic would make for a plush ride as long as there was a lift waiting at the bottom.

Actually if this old Spot was lighter, I'd prefer it over the Pivot. The thing feels like it has training wheels on it - the balance is so good.

How are people comparing the DW's to the HL's? anybody?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Poor resale value

Cool thing about Turners is you NEVER have to pay retail for one.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Any mode of transportation seems to be this way....and electronics too.

I can get a used car with a bike a nice computer really cheap!.....Heck, in this economy, I can get a house with a garage to put them in really cheap too.

I wish I was smart enough to do it.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Get yourself some 5.5 rockers, a 140mm travel fork, a modern rear shock, and voila!:

Damn Rene, my 04 Spot I built up looks a lot like yours. A dark gray, no decals, 5.5 rockers and a black Pike on it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much is my 04 5.Spot worth?-img_5622.jpg  

Last edited by Jdub; 03-18-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Truckboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Poor resale value?

I paid 1400 in 2004, - not retail I agree - had it as my primary (pretty much only) bike until 2009, and now it's worth a third what I paid. Is that bad or good. It feels pretty good comparitively, but maybe I'm beat down by the planned obsolescence in the market. It's worse than with cars.

Large member
    Jaybo is not the world's biggest Turner fan. Simo Hayha is the latest iteration of a banned poster.

It's usually possible to buy the previous year's model at a discount which is why you don't have to pay full retail. In my experience Turners hold their value as well or better than most.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Apologies for the hijack Aging Wannabee (that isn't a pseudonym for Cutthroat, is it?)
    I fart in your general direction.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I fart in your general direction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast