mtbr member

How much exposed seat post?

Just curious how much seat post from top of seat collar to seat rail is the norm? I have 9.5" exposed on my small 5 Spot (I am 5'7") and with a 5 degree x 110 Thomson stem (no spacers) my bars are still 1.5" taller than my saddle with lo-rise Monkey bars. The riding position feels great, but is that too much exposed post?

Checking out the pics of that new Nitrous, it seems like that bike has about 11" sticking out.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    Just curious how much seat post from top of seat collar to seat rail is the norm? I have 9.5" exposed on my small 5 Spot (I am 5'7") and with a 5 degree x 110 Thomson stem (no spacers) my bars are still 1.5" taller than my saddle with lo-rise Monkey bars. The riding position feels great, but is that too much exposed post?

Checking out the pics of that new Nitrous, it seems like that bike has about 11" sticking out.
    I have about that much post up on my large. Some days 10"

It's not what you have showing that's important. Make absolutely sure you have enough post in the seat tube that it reaches to/below the seat tube/top tube junction. That is the end of the seat post should be below the bottom of the top tube.

As long as you have that, you can pretty much show as much post as you like, within reason...I mean not like 2-feet or anything.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Word- it's your inseam that matters. Turners have short head tubes and low stand-over height so don't be freaked if you show a lot of post. Don't be afraid to use spacers to get yer bars where you need them either. A small sounds right if you are 5'-7"- the top tube length is what really matters.

FYI, I'm 5-9", have like a 32.5" inseam, and my medium RFX is 17" center to top. So I'm showing a LOT of post, but the frame fits perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I have about that much post up on my large. Some days 10"

It's not what you have showing that's important. Make absolutely sure you have enough post in the seat tube that it reaches to/below the seat tube/top tube junction. That is the end of the seat post should be below the bottom of the top tube.

As long as you have that, you can pretty much show as much post as you like, within reason...I mean not like 2-feet or anything.

Baked Alaskan

lotsa post is OK

Quote Originally Posted by Larsey

Like others have said, low TT's and short HT's make for a sweet handling bike that makes a lot of show a ton of post to make it fit right. I'm a shade under 6'2", ride a large and usually have about 10"-ish of post showing. Its just what I need to get proper extension, and mine fits perfectly. Even after switching from a 120mm to a 90mm stem when I put the Maverick on.
    Attached Images Attached Images